Hell finding out where this vibration is coming from

pwdrskier

Help finding out where this vibration is coming from

So after going wheeling recently my jeep developed this loud buzzing noise that will happen at random while driving. Also it will vibrate like crazy at idle and when driving below 40mph. Dealer said there is nothing wrong but you can clearly tell there is. Vibration is stronger when A/C is running.

2015 JKU 3 inch Tera flex lift bolstering shocks 35s warn elite bumper AEV control arm brackets JKS front adjustable track bar rear track bar bracket.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
When just cruising? Accelerating? Decelerating? Around turns, etc?

First thing I would check would be all heat shields to make sure they aren't rubbing on anything. Same with any inner fender liners rubbing tires, etc. Maybe even check around drive lines for any impact marks.

pwdrskier

When just cruising? Accelerating? Decelerating? Around turns, etc?

First thing I would check would be all heat shields to make sure they aren't rubbing on anything. Same with any inner fender liners rubbing tires, etc. Maybe even check around drive lines for any impact marks.

Cruising and accelerating in a straight line. Tires aren't rubbing anything and will check the rest when I get out of work.

JAGS

Hooked
Is the whole Jeep vibrating or does it feel like a part of the Jeep is vibrating?

I'd say check the driveshafts for any weights that may have come off.

But the at idle makes me think a bolt or something is loose from a skid plate, etc. I actually had a D ring loose and driving I thought something was going to fall off the Jeep till I figured out what the hell was going on.

Last, did anything happen on the recent wheeling trip? Tough obstacle/situation per haps. That might help others isolate some potential issues. I'm not too much help in these areas. Good luck figuring it out though.

pwdrskier

Is the whole Jeep vibrating or does it feel like a part of the Jeep is vibrating?

I'd say check the driveshafts for any weights that may have come off.

But the at idle makes me think a bolt or something is loose from a skid plate, etc. I actually had a D ring loose and driving I thought something was going to fall off the Jeep till I figured out what the hell was going on.

Last, did anything happen on the recent wheeling trip? Tough obstacle/situation per haps. That might help others isolate some potential issues. I'm not too much help in these areas. Good luck figuring it out though.

Whole Jeep vibrates when stopped, idling or driving in a straight line under 30 mph. What would be loose, motor mount, tranny mount, etc? I did install a new oil pan skid for the trip will give it a look. And there were a couple obstacles that had me using my rock sliders.

WJCO

Meme King
Whole Jeep vibrates when stopped, idling or driving in a straight line under 30 mph. What would be loose, motor mount, tranny mount, etc? I did install a new oil pan skid for the trip will give it a look. And there were a couple obstacles that had me using my rock sliders.

That's a typical symptom of a motor mount, but not really common on JKs. Any mud that may have gotten up into bellhousing of trans? Engine light on? Also, check for any loose vacuum lines under the hood.

EDIT: Check for mud built up on fan and crank balancer as well.

Last edited:

pwdrskier

Last night I got under the jeep and looked around. Looks like all the bolts for the control arms are tight, as well as skid plates. Check the driveshafts for missing weights and they appear to all be there. I let the jeep run and popped the hood and looked around and its the engine that's vibrating, I let it run in park drive and neutral and I think I narrowed it down to something with the engine and ruled out transmission, skid plates or driveshafts.

pwdrskier

That's a typical symptom of a motor mount, but not really common on JKs. Any mud that may have gotten up into bellhousing of trans? Engine light on? Also, check for any loose vacuum lines under the hood.

EDIT: Check for mud built up on fan and crank balancer as well.

I think I ruled it down to the engine or its mounts. I will check the fan. No check engine light and no codes being thrown. Never really did work on an engine before just suspension and brakes. Where is the crank balancer and which lines are the vacuum lines. Wouldnt it throw a code for a vacuum leak?

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I think I ruled it down to the engine or its mounts. I will check the fan. No check engine light and no codes being thrown. Never really did work on an engine before just suspension and brakes. Where is the crank balancer and which lines are the vacuum lines. Wouldnt it throw a code for a vacuum leak?

It's the lowest pulley on your engine, on the front, above the oil pan.

shopping.jpg

WJCO

Meme King

Vacuum leaks could throw a code, but sometimes don't. There's a huge one that goes from your brake booster to your engine, and probably several little ones up near top of engine. Basically look for anything obviously loose or cracked, and with engine running, sometimes they make a hissing sound if they're leaking.

A good way to check engine mounts is loose or broken is to put the jeep in reverse, turn your wheel all the way one to one side. While holding the brake hard give it some gas. Don't let the jeep move. You will feel your engine move off the mount if it is broken. I haven't done this with my jeep but a mechanic did it with my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

SOLVED IT!!!!!!! Turns out my oil pan skid was lose.

Just curious as to what was actually loose on your oil pan skid. Was it all the little bolts that hold it onto the pan or was it the two big bolts that join the oil skid and trans skid together?

Top Bottom