Sluggish Response

jjparker3

Within the past month, my 2011 JK (17k miles) has developed a problem with throttle response. When in 4th, 5th or 6th gear and there is a need to speed up quickly, there is a loss of power... almost choking out at times. My dealer says there's nothing wrong. I've tried a fuel system cleaner and that seems to help for a while. I've tried an octane booster and that made it worse. Where is the fuel filter? Minus dropping the tank, I have not seen one.

Has anyone else experienced this and what was your fix.

Thanks,

JJP3

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The fuel filter is inside your tank and I doubt that is your problem. Just to make sure, you do know that the JK motor is designed to run off of 87 octane gas, right? Here you say that things got worse with octane boost makes me wonder if maybe you're running too high of an octane in general.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
The fuel filter is inside your tank and I doubt that is your problem. Just to make sure, you do know that the JK motor is designed to run off of 87 octane gas, right? Here you say that things got worse with octane boost makes me wonder if maybe you're running too high of an octane in general.

Eddie, I'm running 91 octane with a super chip tune to 91. Will I get better response if I go down to 89 or 87? Thx

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I'm running 91 octane with a super chip tune to 91. Will I get better response if I go down to 89 or 87? Thx

No, you should be fine so long as you're running a Superchips as it knows what you're running and is tuned for it.

jeep-creep

The tuners advance spark timing and air fuel ratio...hence better performance. Do a pro and con if the added price of the tuner and the constant higher priced gas is worth it. I'm always leary of "canned tunes" opposed to a real tune on a chassis dyno.

On most cases, a gear change will make up any "feel of the pant's TQ that you want. And you can run 87 all day. To each their own.

Best of luck which ever you choose.

Top Bottom