Critique a potential build

Wild Hare

Currently have a stock 2015 Sport S Unlimited with auto, 255/75/17s, and 3.21. Got googly eyed about new ride and put absolutely zero thought into the gearing when I bought it. It is my DD and I commute about 50 miles round trip. Light weekend wheeling in NC.

What I would like to do for now:
1) New wheels - I really like the look of the American Racing Outlaw 2s. Takes me back.
2) New tires - BFG KO2 285/70/17
3) New lift - EVO leveling

No bumpers or winch until I recover financially from the above.
Didn't consider the gearing upfront. Is this going to be any problem with tires and leveling lift? I think cheaper to replace axles at some point than sell Sport and buy used Rubicon.
EVO lift too much without extra weight of aftermarket bumpers and winch?

Comments? Flame away

GraniteCrystal

I think you'll be fine. Wouldn't go larger than 285 without Regearing but that's just me. Some guys wouldn't mind it. I run KO2s and like them a lot.

Lots of positive things on the Evo leveling kit. Can't go wrong there.

Wheels are mostly subjective but if you ever plan on running larger tires, make sure to get wheels with less backspacing than stock or account for buying Spidertrax spacers at some point.

If having a shop do the work, might also think about welding on some C gussets just to be on the safe side. Evo sells some for around $70 I think.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

WJCO

Meme King
You could also do the tires before the lift and see how you like it. Same with trimming your fenders. You can add the lift at anytime but it won't be needed with that size of tire.

The wife's rig with no lift and 285/70R17 with winch and front bumper (but trimmed fenders):

IMG_20161005_184602_355.jpg

Kyle7R

Currently have a stock 2015 Sport S Unlimited with auto, 255/75/17s, and 3.21. Got googly eyed about new ride and put absolutely zero thought into the gearing when I bought it. It is my DD and I commute about 50 miles round trip. Light weekend wheeling in NC.

What I would like to do for now:
1) New wheels - I really like the look of the American Racing Outlaw 2s. Takes me back.
2) New tires - BFG KO2 285/70/17
3) New lift - EVO leveling

No bumpers or winch until I recover financially from the above.
Didn't consider the gearing upfront. Is this going to be any problem with tires and leveling lift? I think cheaper to replace axles at some point than sell Sport and buy used Rubicon.
EVO lift too much without extra weight of aftermarket bumpers and winch?

Comments? Flame away

My only question, is how long do you plan to run those 285's? If you're going to run them until they're gone, then go for it. If you plan on running them for 6 months or a year, then I say hold off and wait until you can get to your final goal.

What is your timeframe or build plan for the end?

Wild Hare

You could also do the tires before the lift and see how you like it. Same with trimming your fenders. You can add the lift at anytime but it won't be needed with that size of tire.

The wife's rig with no lift and 285/70R17 with winch and front bumper (but trimmed fenders):

View attachment 231156

That looks pretty good. Do you have a side shot. More interested in the lift to level it and have read good things about new coils vs spacers.

WJCO

Meme King
That looks pretty good. Do you have a side shot. More interested in the lift to level it and have read good things about new coils vs spacers.

Thanks. Here's one. I personally think it sits about an inch low in the front but my wife doesn't notice it. I notice it when walking towards it in parking lots.

DSC04226.jpg

onebadtwo

IMG_0966.jpg
This is 285/70/17s on factory wheels and suspension.
IMG_1972.JPG
This is a little more recent with the same 285's, aftermarket wheels, and some 1" coil spacers installed in the front.

Wild Hare

A search hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Will the EVO leveling lift still give 3"+ of lift on an Unlimited without an aftermarket bumper or winch? The 3+ is what I'm seeing in the 2 door threads. I'd prefer new coils over a spacer but don't want it to get out of hand

Top Bottom