Which came first? the Coilovers or the Axles

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I want to kinda pick everyone's brain...

so a semi local buddy is selling his axles, I'm kicking myself because its messing with my plan. The PLAN for the next big ticket items WAS a PR44, full float PR60 rear, and king coilovers (not necessarily in that order) but then Dynatrac came out with there new pricing at SEMA and now the 60/FF60 combo is only about $1300 more, but that will also require new 8-lug wheels (just like the PR44/full float 60 to 5 on 5.5 anyway)
If I jump on my buddies axles (PR44/SF PR60), I can keep my slabs, and move on to saving for the coilovers. my concern is from the specs alone, the SemiFloat 60 doesn't seem to be that much stronger in terms of rockcrawling (axle flanges, and shafts specifically, plus the R&P isnt that much larger and setup high pinion) I dont really do highspeed stuff because I live in Privately Owned Land Nation (Texas) and every place that allows wheeling enforces a 15mph MAXIMUM speedlimit...

So I guess the question is, which should come first? Coilovers/lever system or axles, and if axles, should I jump on the PR44&Semi float 60, or hold out for 8 lug 60/Full Float 60? this has been eating at me ever sense my friend mentioned he might be looking to sell his axles because they are such a GREAT deal...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Me personally, I would do axles before coil overs. Depending on the kind of wheeling you plan on doing, a 44/60 would get the job done well for a set of 37's. If you're wanting to run 40's, I would hold out for a 60/60 full float.

WJCO

Meme King
I would buy the new Dynatrac axles and wait on the coilovers. Like you said, you really don't need em. If you buy your buddies axles, you may just be kicking yourself in the balls for years because you didn't go with the full float. Welcome to modifying vehicles, lol.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Not that I really can say anything constructive, since I dont have a PR60 rear.....but DDAYS bent a rear flange on his semifloat rear...so I would hold out and order a full float if you can. Sadly us PA guys have retarted fender laws making a full width hard to run legally.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Not that I really can say anything constructive, since I dont have a PR60 rear.....but DDAYS bent a rear flange on his semifloat rear...so I would hold out and order a full float if you can. Sadly us PA guys have retarted fender laws making a full width hard to run legally.

But Dynatrac did reach out to him on their own and ask him to send they shaft in so they could lab test it... so I would imagine its a rather rare occurrence... but I could be wrong. Thanks for bringing that up, I'm going to search for that thread

I plan to stay with 37s at least for the foreseeable future, and probably for as long as we are in Texas. I have yet to be on a trail and think "man, I NEED 40s" while they do look awesome, and I'm sure they are capable as hell, where I wheel, I'm happy with the 37s, and from what Ive seen rubicat do, I have a LOT of ability left in them. :thumb:

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I just want the ability....and I am sure it is rare to bend the semi float....to not have to worry about getting home being able to just pull the broken shaft and still drive home since the axle itself holds the wheel and not just the shaft.

Grubbicon

I personally would do axles before I worried about coilovers. That being said I also would never consider a semi float rear especially in a big heavy JK but thats just a personal opinion. Id rather do it once and not hate myself down the road for not doing full float to start.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We've managed to bend a ProRock 60 semi-float flange and break a shaft at the flange but both times were while running 40x15.50 Toyo's. Of course, you can determine for yourself just how hard we play with our Jeeps and how often. That being said, I would have total confidence running 37's on a one and that's speaking from experience.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I have a semi float PR60, I wheel hardISH, and when I got this semi float the full float wasn't an option.
I wish I had it now, I seem to go through axle seals...

:naw::doh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a semi float PR60, I wheel hardISH, and when I got this semi float the full float wasn't an option.

Yep, wasn't an option when we got ours. We did have one seal go bad as well before we had the axle converted to full float.

In other words, if you can swing it, full float really is the way to go.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I just want the ability....and I am sure it is rare to bend the semi float....to not have to worry about getting home being able to just pull the broken shaft and still drive home since the axle itself holds the wheel and not just the shaft.

Yeah that is a good point. :thinking:

We've managed to bend a ProRock 60 semi-float flange and break a shaft at the flange but both times were while running 40x15.50 Toyo's. Of course, you can determine for yourself just how hard we play with our Jeeps and how often. That being said, I would have total confidence running 37's on a one and that's speaking from experience.

Says the mallcrawler :cheesy:

Yeah, I know all about that life on a D44 :grayno:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yep, wasn't an option when we got ours. We did have one seal go bad as well before we had the axle converted to full float.

In other words, if you can swing it, full float really is the way to go.

Hey, now there is an idea... how was the conversion? Is this something that has to be done at dynatrac?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, now there is an idea... how was the conversion? Is this something that has to be done at dynatrac?

Let's just say, it's not something you'd want to do after the fact. If a full float is even remotely on your radar, I would just save up and do it the first time.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I know the difference is one carries the weight on the housing and the other on the axle shaft which rides on bearings in the axle tubes, correct? Which is which?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I know the difference is one carries the weight on the housing and the other on the axle shaft which rides on bearings in the axle tubes, correct? Which is which?

On a semi float axle, the axle shafts are "semi float", meaning it is also load bearing at the end of the axle (holding up the weight of the jeep) a full float axle is "full floating", meaning the weight of the jeep is carried by the housing and the axle shafts only job is to rotate the tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If you even have the thought of 40's get the 60/60 package. Gear it for 37's and run them with confidence, down the road if you have to have 40's your only looking at a re-gear and a bunch of cuttin..

Top Bottom