Firestik cb cable repair

deezus

I got hung up on a tree and when I pulled away, it tore up my cb cable and the bracket. What I wanna do is get a 9 ft cb cable, flat mount by firestik and use it to extend the CB cable and repair it. What fitting would I use? It's rg58. I'm having a hard time figuring this out, basically wanna couple the broken FireStik cable to a new shorter cable so I don't have to run a new cable through jeep. 20161126_134324.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I think you'll have SWR issues if you splice a co-ax. I really like the "fire ring" cables, much better than the RG-45, or whatever the number is.

Where's your bracket? Mine's on the tailgate and with a rearview mirror CB mount, the easiest routing is along the upper roll cage under the zip-up padding all the way back, then down and out through the tail gate.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have soldered new ends without a problem, but if I had a cable brake more than about 12" from the end I would just replace it. As the cable gets shorter you will have tuning issues. With an adjustable tip antenna you can get away with a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

T.McD

i recommend running a new cable as you know the connection is done correctly. soldering a new connector can be done and i have done it, but in the end is not cost or time efficient. the time it would take to solder a new one would be the same as just running a new cable. then you may have tuning issues with the connector in the systems as it may induce noise and another point for moisture to get in and cause issues.

Coop

Caught the Bug
i recommend running a new cable as you know the connection is done correctly. soldering a new connector can be done and i have done it, but in the end is not cost or time efficient. the time it would take to solder a new one would be the same as just running a new cable. then you may have tuning issues with the connector in the systems as it may induce noise and another point for moisture to get in and cause issues.

Good advice! Plus, if you couple to another cable as mentioned by the OP, typically if it is done perfectly, you would loose 1/2 the signal. Not an acceptable result.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

An option for the antenna, rather the firestick, is a whip antenna. I broke one of mine and it didn't do well going in and out of the garage. The whip you can actually bend in half. The stick works well but does get hung up on EVERYTHING. No problems with the whip the past 6 months or so.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom