Should I go with a single or dual steering stabilizer ?

JeepNfish20

So I have a 2 door jk on a 3 inch lift and 35s. I currently have a RC dual stabilizer and at first I thought it handled great but somehow I got a nasty dent in it and it seems like my jeep drives like crap now. I wanted to know everyones thoughts on the situation being that I hear mixed reviews for both. I am leaning towards a single now just because it cost more than half the duals out there. Let me know what you guys think and any recommendations on brands/models.
Thanks !!

WJCO

Meme King
You don't need one at all. What symptom are you having? Sometimes when they dent, it will cause the vehicle to pull or stick in one steering position.

JeepNfish20

Lots of bump steer and pulling to the driver side mostly which is the side it is dented on. Really uncomfortable to drive and I just installed some Fox Evolution shocks also so not sure what it could be. Im still learning a lot so any help is appreciated. Its my daily driver so I would like to have it running smooth asap
You don't need one at all. What symptom are you having? Sometimes when they dent, it will cause the vehicle to pull or stick in one steering position.

WJCO

Meme King
Lots of bump steer and pulling to the driver side mostly which is the side it is dented on. Really uncomfortable to drive and I just installed some Fox Evolution shocks also so not sure what it could be. Im still learning a lot so any help is appreciated. Its my daily driver so I would like to have it running smooth asap

What kind of lift do you have? I would remove the stabilizer and go drive it to see if it's different. Shocks shouldn't cause any of those symptoms at all.

Jeepfan30

A stabilizer is not needed if your other steering components are in good shape. I have run a Fox ATS and stock, running no stabilizer now and handles great. I also have a 3" lift with drag link flip. Take them both off and go for a drive to see how it feels.

JeepNfish20

Ok ill try that out. Im partially under the category as bought not built lol already had the lift installed when I bought it and was told it was a rough country
What kind of lift do you have? I would remove the stabilizer and go drive it to see if it's different. Shocks shouldn't cause any of those symptoms at all.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Learned this weekend that typical steering stabilizers have a spring in them and will often pull a little to the left. Best to get one made with a pass through (Fox makes one for sure as do others probably).

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Interesting... I don't make a habit of tearing these things apart, but wouldn't think there would be a spring. How or where did you find that out?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Interesting... I don't make a habit of tearing these things apart, but wouldn't think there would be a spring. How or where did you find that out?

Wes at Trail Jeeps was explaining it to me. Not sure there's an actual spring but the idea was that without a pass through, the pressure would be uneven between the two sides and, thus, always pull a little to the left. This is the fundamental reason people go for dual stabilizers, so they even each other out by pointing in opposite directions. Rather than doing dual, you could just buy the one with the pass through. (I've extrapolated more based on some research I did after talking to Wes so may be best to discuss with him before purchasing and make sure this is all accurate).

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wes at Trail Jeeps was explaining it to me. Not sure there's an actual spring but the idea was that without a pass through, the pressure would be uneven between the two sides and, thus, always pull a little to the left. This is the fundamental reason people go for dual stabilizers, so they even each other out by pointing in opposite directions. Rather than doing dual, you could just buy the one with the pass through. (I've extrapolated more based on some research I did after talking to Wes so may be best to discuss with him before purchasing and make sure this is all accurate).

The fox stabilizer is notorious for pulling to the left. More so than any other basic stabilizer out similar to stock. And it costs a hell of a lot more.

GraniteCrystal

The fox stabilizer is notorious for pulling to the left. More so than any other basic stabilizer out similar to stock. And it costs a hell of a lot more.

Is my understanding correct that the pass through helps with this? Or you're saying even with the pass through, it'll still pull left

jagrubb99

Is my understanding correct that the pass through helps with this? Or you're saying even with the pass through, it'll still pull left

The fox still pulls left. It doesnt help with anything. I find it hard to believe that steering stabilizers have a spring in them. When I replaced one on a friend's TJ, i could pull/push the end either direction with the same amount of force from what it seemed to me. It feels more like a valving thing that limits flow between 2 chambers, thus absorbing small vibrations. I could be totally wrong though lol.

Sent from my XT1031 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey Guys! Sorry we're a little late to the thread. So, steering stabilizers can be surprisingly tricky on JKs, there are a lot of variables, maybe I can help by sharing our experience.

One thing that is always true is that a steering stabilizer is not there to make your Jeep "drive better." It should never be used to mask damaged, improperly installed components or bad steering geometry. The steering stabilizer is there to do exactly what the name implies: to"stabilize" the steering by keeping feedback from the road from reaching the steering wheel. It should "smooth" out the road feel and keep those little lines in the pavement from causing your wheel to wobble. It will also absorb some of the sharp impacts from the road from reaching the steering box in full, helping to save a little bit of wear from the mechanical components of your steering system. We do not recommend driving around without a steering stabilizer long term as it will accelerate wear on your steering components. If you have a wobble, vibration or twitchy steering before adding a stabilizer, something is wrong with your Jeep, and by not addressing it you are giving it the opportunity to continue to wear, fail, or present itself in a more extreme situation that it would without the stabilizer (like catastrophic failure on a bumpy freeway overpass doing 70 miles per hours, instead of something you notice on your way to the neighborhood grocery store, for instance).

The factory stabilizer should be adequate up to a "small" 35x12.50 tire. It is worth noting that a stabilizer on the tie rod does theoretically save the tie rod ends from a little bit of wear and does a better job at "stabilizing" because it's closer to the source of the feedback, eating up feedback before it passes through the tie rod and drag link.

Ideally, a single high quality stabilizer on the tie rod should do the trick for most situations. As mentioned in the thread below, a gas stabilizer is a one way shock and can cause a slightly pull if slightly over pressurized. Fox is notorious for inconsistent stabilizers. A single Fox Adventure or Performance series 2.0 does a great job for most applications, although the magic formula is a properly dialed Fox ATS stabilizer, which is the pass through designed mentioned in the thread. Its two way design should guarantee even performance and you can adjust the pressure the stabilizer applies to the steering system. They're expensive, but worth every penny. Occasionally you get a "sticky" ATS that will cause your steering to feed twitchy because you're constantly over correcting.

Speaking of twitchy, the potential for twitchiness is one of the primary reasons for not running a dual stabilizer. Just like a sticky ATS, a dual gas setup will often apply too much pressure to the steering system. A dual stabilizer consistently works well in an old school hydraulic set up (see those old school set ups full-size Chevy's used to run in the 80s) because they only provide resistance to the steering system, not constant pressure. But, by the time you do all that, you might as well invest in a gas stabilizer which is simpler, cleaner and is more high clearance and doesn't leave you with a bunch of junk hanging out under your Jeep.

We are obviously a Fox dealer and push Fox. While there are inconsistencies, the Fox stuff does a great job for us and our customers. There are other, great choices out there as well! It's all about choosing what's right for you.

In the end if you're looking at the best solution, we will always recommend shelling out the dough for a Fox ATS and calling it a day.

Last edited:

Jeepfan30

Hey Guys! Sorry we're a little late to the thread. So, steering stabilizers can be surprisingly tricky on JKs, there are a lot of variables, maybe I can help by sharing our experience.

One thing that is always true is that a steering stabilizer is not there to make your Jeep "drive better." It should never be used to mask damaged, improperly installed components or bad steering geometry. The steering stabilizer is there to do exactly what the name implies: to"stabilize" the steering by keeping feedback from the road from reaching the steering wheel. It should "smooth" out the road feel and keep those little lines in the pavement from causing your wheel to wobble. It will also absorb some of the sharp impacts from the road from reaching the steering box in full, helping to save a little bit of wear from the mechanical components of your steering system. We do not recommend driving around without a steering stabilizer long term as it will accelerate wear on your steering components. If you have a wobble, vibration or twitchy steering before adding a stabilizer, something is wrong with your Jeep, and by not addressing it you are giving it the opportunity to continue to wear, fail, or present itself in a more extreme situation that it would without the stabilizer (like catastrophic failure on a bumpy freeway overpass doing 70 miles per hours, instead of something you notice on your way to the neighborhood grocery store, for instance).

The factory stabilizer should be adequate up to a "small" 35x12.50 tire. It is worth noting that a stabilizer on the tie rod does theoretically save the tie rod ends from a little bit of wear and does a better job at "stabilizing" because it's closer to the source of the feedback, eating up feedback before it passes through the tie rod and drag link.

Ideally, a single high quality stabilizer on the tie rod should do the trick for most situations. As mentioned in the thread below, a gas stabilizer is a one way shock and can cause a slightly pull if slightly over pressurized. Fox is notorious for inconsistent stabilizers. A single Fox Adventure or Performance series 2.0 does a great job for most applications, although the magic formula is a properly dialed Fox ATS stabilizer, which is the pass through designed mentioned in the thread. Its two way design should guarantee even performance and you can adjust the pressure the stabilizer applies to the steering system. They're expensive, but worth every penny. Occasionally you get a "sticky" ATS that will cause your steering to feed twitchy because you're constantly over correcting.

Speaking of twitchy, the potential for twitchiness is one of the primary reasons for not running a dual stabilizer. Just like a sticky ATS, a dual gas setup will often apply too much pressure to the steering system. A dual stabilizer consistently works well in an old school hydraulic set up (see those old school set ups full-size Chevy's used to run in the 80s) because they only provide resistance to the steering system, not constant pressure. But, by the time you do all that, you might as well invest in a gas stabilizer which is simpler, cleaner and is more high clearance and doesn't leave you with a bunch of junk hanging out under your Jeep.

We are obviously a Fox dealer and push Fox. While there are inconsistencies, the Fox stuff does a great job for us and our customers. There are other, great choices out there as well! It's all about choosing what's right for you.

In the end if you're looking at the best solution, we will always recommend shelling out the dough for a Fox ATS and calling it a day.

I just sold my 3 year old Fox ATS because it became "sticky" and made my steering feel heavy. However, like Trail Jeeps stated, the ATS never made my Jeep pull a certain direction due to the through shaft design. I am running without a stabilizer now, I never considered the extra wear on the steering components without a stabilizer.

I just sold my 3 year old Fox ATS because it became "sticky" and made my steering feel heavy. However, like Trail Jeeps stated, the ATS never made my Jeep pull a certain direction due to the through shaft design. I am running without a stabilizer now, I never considered the extra wear on the steering components without a stabilizer.

Yeah, it's real and will burn out a box much more quickly than you might expect because of constant shock loading of the sector shaft.

D1EHARD

I've run the Fox ATS on my past two JK's and will always keep one on my Jeep from now on. I gave it a shot on my 2 door a couple years ago and loved it. I know some folks claim that it doesn't make that much difference and I too was a firm believer in that theory (having used a couple cheap ones in the past). But when you lift and put large tires on, the pulls with the ruts and crown of the road are enhanced. Even more so if you don't lift correctly with control arms/geometry correction. I got the Fox ATS and dialed it in properly and both my 2 door and now my JKU will hold straight no matter the surface. You can actually feel the difference in the steering wheel when you change the settings. I prefer a tighter, sportier feel in the wheel so I keep it set 3/4's of the way to max. I was very surprised at the difference that it made and when I got my latest JKU I made sure that it was on my list of first mods. This is the first I've heard of the "stick" in the ATS, so I'll keep an eye out for that. But for me, it's fantastic. Just my 2:twocents: :beer: You can really tell a difference when it's windy on the interstate.

I'm not saying everyone will like it, but I do know for a fact that I enjoy it. And from the post from Trail Jeeps, it seems they firmly believe in them as well. :beer:

Top Bottom