Enough Power?

Hawkeye11

I've had my JKUR for a little over 2 months. While riding for over 2 years I researched what I wanted (and watched all the WAL videos), but unfortunately was focused on 2dr vs 4dr, availability and pricing. Now that I bought a stock 2011 w/ D44 and 4.10's and am researching mods, I discovered the 3.8L has much less hp than the 2012+ 3.6L. I'm wondering if I have enough power for 35's, and maybe someday 37's, with all the mod weight I'll have in bumpers, winch, sliders, skids, etc with the 3.8? Or if I should see if I can get out of the 2011 for what I have in it and get a 2012 3.6L? If there are some technical threads already available, please feel free to direct me. I could not locate them. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hawkeye11

Thanks, that's what I'd like to do, but I hate selling and buying. A quick look shows I could loose $500-1,000 (see what I mean......guess I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought). But the cost of a SC or engine swap, if I am not happy with power down the road, would run way more.

GraniteCrystal

Thanks, that's what I'd like to do, but I hate selling and buying. A quick look shows I could loose $500-1,000 (see what I mean......guess I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought). But the cost of a SC or engine swap, if I am not happy with power down the road, would run way more.

Totally worth it IMO. You basically paid $250/month to drive it (assuming you lose $500 and had it for two months) and you get a Jeep that has a better engine as well as everything else being at least a year newer.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

WJCO

Meme King
The only major issue with the 3.6 is that some of the early ones had a cylinder head issue. Chrysler extended the warranty to 10 years or 150k for that issue.

swampdog

What about wheeling 37's? I haven't even been able to wheel mine yet, but I know it kicks into overdrive going up an overpass, especially if it's windy or I'm loaded with passengers.

You could wheel a 3.8L with 37's and 3.21 gears, but you and your transmission are going to have a HORRIBLE time. Will it move your vehicle, YES. You should absolutely regear when going to tires of this size. The 3.8L is more than capable of moving 37's with the right gearing.

Hawkeye11

You could wheel a 3.8L with 37's and 3.21 gears, but you and your transmission are going to have a HORRIBLE time. Will it move your vehicle, YES. You should absolutely regear when going to tires of this size. The 3.8L is more than capable of moving 37's with the right gearing.

Yea, I'll need to go 4.88 or possibly 5.13's. Just don't want to start the change and then eventually get to 37's and wish I had more HP. Thanks

JeepJeep75

If your on the fence about the difference in power, then cut your losses and move up to the 3.6. You can put an SC on the 3.8, but you probably won't like the new problems you'll get with the new SC which will more than likely be more annoying than beneficial. You can do a V8 swap but that's some serious coin to spend. I have no personal experience with super charging a jeep. I have the 3.6 and am very happy with it. I'm loaded down with bumpers, winch, skids, sliders, and a spare tire. Loaded up with camping gear going up and over mountains wasn't easy, but it wasn't terrible either. Around town it's plenty fast enough.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I have an 08 with 5.13 gears and 37's for the summer and 35's for the winter. I've had no issues offloading with the 3.8 other than grenading my front end when I had 5.38's. Now the offloading here in Montana is not quite the same as the boys out west but I've been able to go up our more technical trails we have with no problem. Just getting to the trail on the highway is what sucks but its doable. Now with that said I'm waiting for my engine to go so I can put a v8 in her. My justification is I can throw away the last 6 years of blood sweat and tears (literally) of building this Jeep and start over or I can continue with the one I have. I am clinically self diagnosed with Jeep envy though. These damn things are a blessing and a curse!

Obviously we have all sorts of experience with this topic.

A 2012+ 3.6 Jeep is simply a superior vehicle. If it's an automatic, the NAG1 5 speed is a complete different thing than the horrendous 42RLE 4 speed in the 3.8 Jeeps. The fit an finish is far better on the new Jeeps as well, especially on the interior. A 3.8/manual trans feels a bit better, although I'd definitely err on the low side in gears for sure.

Now, all that being said a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, right? A 3.8/auto JK will always get you where you want to go. Low gears and acceptance that it will never be fast are needed. I've seen great results from a supercharged 3.8s that live in lower altitudes. Your auto will begin a slow march to its demise with the application of more horsepower because it's a horrible transmission, but it'll last a while if you don't hammer it to death. I don't know if I would say that a supercharger on a 3.8 is really worth it, but if you really like your Jeep it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than a V8, and if you blow up the 3.8 a junkyard long block is cheap.

Hawkeye11

I have an 08 with 5.13 gears and 37's for the summer and 35's for the winter. I've had no issues offloading with the 3.8 other than grenading my front end when I had 5.38's. Now the offloading here in Montana is not quite the same as the boys out west but I've been able to go up our more technical trails we have with no problem. Just getting to the trail on the highway is what sucks but its doable. Now with that said I'm waiting for my engine to go so I can put a v8 in her. My justification is I can throw away the last 6 years of blood sweat and tears (literally) of building this Jeep and start over or I can continue with the one I have. I am clinically self diagnosed with Jeep envy though. These damn things are a blessing and a curse!

Thanks! I can certainly see the blessing and curse due to my ocd tendencies and always wanting to make the right choice.

Hawkeye11

Obviously we have all sorts of experience with this topic.

A 2012+ 3.6 Jeep is simply a superior vehicle. If it's an automatic, the NAG1 5 speed is a complete different thing than the horrendous 42RLE 4 speed in the 3.8 Jeeps. The fit an finish is far better on the new Jeeps as well, especially on the interior. A 3.8/manual trans feels a bit better, although I'd definitely err on the low side in gears for sure.

Now, all that being said a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, right? A 3.8/auto JK will always get you where you want to go. Low gears and acceptance that it will never be fast are needed. I've seen great results from a supercharged 3.8s that live in lower altitudes. Your auto will begin a slow march to its demise with the application of more horsepower because it's a horrible transmission, but it'll last a while if you don't hammer it to death. I don't know if I would say that a supercharger on a 3.8 is really worth it, but if you really like your Jeep it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than a V8, and if you blow up the 3.8 a junkyard long block is cheap.

Thank you, I appreciate your time and input. I do have the 3.8 auto. Sounds like the 3.6 is superior considering the engine AND tranny. I do like my Jeep, but don't think I'll be happy knowing my ignorance cost me a better vehicle. Thanks again. Love peeking in on your builds online and hope to get by there some day. I'm in the Texas panhandle.

Rival

I'd definitely recommend driving one with a 3.6L before you make up your mind. While the 3.6 is better, it isn't exactly a powerhouse either. The loss on selling yours plus the incremental cost of a newer one would give you a good head start to an LS swap. :twocents:

Hawkeye11

I'd definitely recommend driving one with a 3.6L before you make up your mind. While the 3.6 is better, it isn't exactly a powerhouse either. The loss on selling yours plus the incremental cost of a newer one would give you a good head start to an LS swap. :twocents:

Yea, I think that's a good idea. I only have access to a friends TJ, but I see one of the dealers has a 2012 so I may stop by there for a text drive. Wonder if I would have to change out the transmission if I kept mine and ever got to the point of affording an LS swap?

Top Bottom