Custom tire carrier made

toxicwaste29

Hello all

I posted a while ago about how poison spider would not send me the tire carrier portion of my rock brawler 2 bumper. I already had the bumper and it had the hole in it, I bought it sperate with the assumption I could add the tire carrier later. Anyways I finally got around to welding and installing my own tire carrier. I used the hole that's already there since I found a spindle that fit directly in. All in I only have $250 in materials and about 5 hours of fab work and welding here are some pics in case anyone is looking for some ideas. If anyone is interested I can pm a list of materials used.

IMG_20161127_170333571.jpg IMG_20161127_152229558.jpg IMG_20161127_170552171.jpg

metalic

Good job.
I enjoy the diy side of things myself. It's BS they wouldn't send it to you however you know that you've built this and saved yourself some cash. Only thing your missing is the cosmetic Web gussets

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

toxicwaste29

Just posting this up. Everyone check out their spare tire spindles if ordered through ru____uff. I have emailed and am waiting for a response but I was driving today and hit an expansion joint on the highway. The same highway I go every day and the entire spindle snapped in half. If you look at the spindle itself it looks like a terrible casting. Just putting this out there so anyone with this spindle can be aware. Ill do my best to update everyone with what is determined. I'm just upset because now I have half a spindle welding inside my bumper there is no way I can remove, the material cost along with the hinge that luckily held the tire up which by the way is maybe 3/8" diameter compared to the 1.5" spindle, and the fact someone could have been seriously hurt if it had completely fallen off.

20171016_204639.jpg

20171016_210802.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Just posting this up. Everyone check out their spare tire spindles if ordered through ru____uff. I have emailed and am waiting for a response but I was driving today and hit an expansion joint on the highway. The same highway I go every day and the entire spindle snapped in half. If you look at the spindle itself it looks like a terrible casting. Just putting this out there so anyone with this spindle can be aware. Ill do my best to update everyone with what is determined. I'm just upset because now I have half a spindle welding inside my bumper there is no way I can remove, the material cost along with the hinge that luckily held the tire up which by the way is maybe 3/8" diameter compared to the 1.5" spindle, and the fact someone could have been seriously hurt if it had completely fallen off.

View attachment 279983

View attachment 279984

If ordered thru who? Post it up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Glad no one got hurt. Mine is not through ruffstuff but I'll keep an eye on it regardless. When I built mine, I had heard of this happening. I read stories of two guys that had spindles snap (unknown company) but both of there carriers had been vibrating a little prior to the snap. The amount of heat required to weld those spindles in is extreme and I guess the vibration just took them out over time. Not saying that's what happened here, but stories like this stick in my mind. Scary stuff.

That is a ton of weight that the spindle alone is trying to support on quite a long lever arm. Doesn't surprise me too much that it failed. Most, if not all the companies that offer that type of swinging carrier attached to the rear gate have some form of load transferred to the door. i.e. Poison spyder's design...

Sucks that it happened, glad no one was hurt. Now, go back to the drawing board and re build it!

TRLJNKY

Seeing this was one hell of an eye opener. I did a visual last night but now it has me a lil concerned. Mine is built using a hub and spindle from a light trailer. Sounds like its time to pull it and service it and check for stress cracks. Glad your situation wasnt worse than it was.

Alright Alright Alright

toxicwaste29

I emailed ruffstuff and heard back yesterday. Saying they have seen this happen multiple times now and suggest putting a spacer below the tire carrier arm or some type of latch that keeps it from wiggling at all. They then went on to say they can warranty the spindle and ship another one out. I was at work and before I left for the day I got another email with a tracking number for the new spindle. I am assuming they pulled my email and found my previous order.

I appreciate their customer service but I don't see how it will do me any good since I have no way of getting a torch or grinder in to cut out the old broken spindle.

WJCO

Meme King
I emailed ruffstuff and heard back yesterday. Saying they have seen this happen multiple times now and suggest putting a spacer below the tire carrier arm or some type of latch that keeps it from wiggling at all. They then went on to say they can warranty the spindle and ship another one out. I was at work and before I left for the day I got another email with a tracking number for the new spindle. I am assuming they pulled my email and found my previous order.

I appreciate their customer service but I don't see how it will do me any good since I have no way of getting a torch or grinder in to cut out the old broken spindle.

I was wondering about that spacer. It looks like on the other end (non spindle), there is nothing holding the weight of the carrier. If you can, post some pics of the spindle area from a few different angles, and maybe we can help you figure out a way to get that thing out or cut it off completely and fabricate something else right near that same area.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You might have to pay a welder, but I think you should be able to Carbon Arc the old one out. Specialty equipment, and a special skill for sure. I have yet to master it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom