CALAMITY JANE - Carburetor CALAMITY

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that Cindy and I were so focused on stripping Jane down, cleaning her up and getting ready for paint, addressing one of her biggest calamities - getting her started and running well was always something that we put on the back burner or at least, up until now. Being that her day at paint is just around the corner, I decided that it was finally time to address this problem and as I would come to find, it was something that I NEEDED to address.

20161128104914-7a14e90a.jpg

If there's one thing I hate most about buying a used Jeep, it's that they always comes with baggage - the mistakes left behind from the previous owner. For better or for worse, Jane had her intake manifold changed to a square bore, 4-barrel setup and had a Holley 4160 installed on top of it. Pulling in 600 cfm, it was definitely on the big side for an AMC 304 and was probably a better fit for something like an 360 or 401 and if I could guess, some of the problems we were having may have been related to that. That being said, I don't think the patch work of homemade vacuum plugs or the hose coming out of the PCV valve going nowhere or the fuel filter that was installed backwards was helping anything. In fact, the more I took things apart, the more I started to wonder how Jane was able to run at all. But, after a quick trip to my local Summit Racing store, I was well on my way to tearing Jane's carb down and rebuilding it.

20161128104657-770b89be.jpg

20161128104716-88ea1ef4.jpg

20161128104724-21d8ec51.jpg

20161128104808-e6a4670b.jpg

Thoroughly cleaned and with all new needles, valves and gaskets installed, I double checked my work, reinstalled the carb and then tried firing her up. And, I say "tried" because trying was about all I could do. In spite of all my efforts, the most I could get was her engine fired up and running for just a bit before it would abruptly quit and when did, it'd let out a big sneeze out the carb. And - that's about when I ran into a new problem. Assuming she was flooded, I let her rest for a bit, vented her carb and when I went to try it again - I got nothing. I mean, absolutely nothing happened - not a click, not a buzz, not a cough, not a sound - just silence. Being that an old Jeep like this doesn't have any fuses, I proceed to look for any loose wires and checked all the connections I could but found nothing. Stumped, I decided to just try the key again and much to my surprise, it started cranking again. However, after a handful of "almost starts" - I got nothing again. And, that's when I decided to make a run down to my local Autozone and pick up a new ignition coil. Among other things, a failing ignition coil would result in things like backfire, misfire, poor fuel economy and fouled plugs but the most common symptom you'd see is an engine that runs for a bit and then just quits. With a new ignition coil installed, Jane was cranking again, consistently and I was finally able to get back to looking for my original problem - getting her to run!

20161128104912-24da1281.jpg

With Jane's electrical problem fixed, I could only assume she was having some kind of fuel delivery problem and so along with a new fuel filter (installed the right way), I also installed a new fuel pump but unfortunately, they fixed nothing. When I turned the key, she would fire up, run for just a bit and just as I would get out to give things a closer look - her engine would die and with a big sneeze.

20161128105000-f252c90f.jpg

Assuming she was flooding, I did a check of the float levels and even tried lowering them a bit but still got the same results. Just to make sure, I made sure to set the idle mixture adjustment screws to the default starting position as stated in the manual but still got the same thing happening. Thinking that maybe she was having a timing issues, I did a manual check to verify that she was hitting TDC on the proper stroke and made sure that her vacuum advance was working. Questioning my work rebuilding the carb, I decided to tear it apart again, check it thoroughly, clean it thoroughly, reinstall it and then tested it again... and then did it again... and then did it one more time only to get the same thing happening. She'd start up, run for just a bit and then quit with a big sneeze. Being that Holley's come with so many changeable parts for tuning, I thought maybe the new power valve I installed was the wrong size and so I tore things apart again so that I could reinstall the old one and it was in fact a different size but... it changed nothing.

20161128105006-7f891e81.jpg

Completely at wits end, I started thinking about just buying a new carburetor. As much as I would have loved to just install an old MC2100, that would require me to buy and install a new 2-barrel intake manifold and that was a slippery slope that I didn't want to go down. The easiest bet was for me to just get another square bore 4-barrel carb like an Edelbrock or a 470 Holley Truck Avenger which was something I had been eyeing for a while now anyway. And, just as I was removing Jane's existing carb for the last time, I just happened to notice something that I hadn't noticed before - on the back of the plastic manifold/carburetor spacer, I saw for the very first time what looked like a big chip in it or more specifically, a point where something had broken off. Under closer scrutiny, I realized that what I was seeing was the remains of a large manifold vacuum port - most likely where the PCV hose was connected to and was now a MASSIVE VACUUM LEAK!
:doh:

20161128104855-f7961231.jpg

In the end, that was my problem all along - a stupid vacuum leak. It's hard to believe that something so easy to fix could take so much time to find and I'm still kicking myself for it. While I was able to get her running again, I decided to still replace her existing Holley 4160 with a Truck Avenger being that it has a cfm closer to what an AMC 304 would want and because it's specifically made for off-roading.

20161128104902-a0c333fa.jpg

With this new Holley Truck Avenger 470 installed, Jane fired right up and after dialing in her timing, she now runs better than ever before.

20161128104849-7f6375b2.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of Cindy taking Jane out for a spin around the stable.

20161128104931-d456ba84.jpg

20161128104943-bb349932.jpg

It'd figure that it'd still be cold enough to snow the day we finally took Jane into paint but to be honest, I was just glad that I could get her there under her own power.

20161128142618-16030dab.jpg

Here's a shot of Jane right after we dropped her off at Battle Born Auto Body in Carson City.

20161128142620-5a5bfa31.jpg

With any luck, we should have her back at home in about 2 weeks and with a new Jetset Blue Metallic coat. :thumb:

jeff_in_rc

The devil is in the details isn't it? Glad you found and corrected the problem, can't wait to see it when it comes back!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I love posts like these since I get to learn so much. Awesome write up as always and I cannot wait to see her repainted. [emoji1303]

JeepJeep75

Nice find on that huge leak in the manifold plate! I know you can't really compare the old carb to the new but I bet that 470 cfm carb is a perfect match for your motor. In my younger days I found that more cfm on the same motor doesn't always equal more power. In fact, come to think about it, it always equaled more headaches. [emoji38]

Ddays

Hooked
Great post! like a trip down memory lane - chasing carb problems. :icon_crazy:
I had a 71 javelin with a built 304 that I was ALWAYS working on.
Learned a lot though- like how bad manual chokes sucked on January mornings....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The devil is in the details isn't it? Glad you found and corrected the problem, can't wait to see it when it comes back!

:cheesy: Oh, you could say that again. I was about ready to just have Jane towed to the paint shop but I'm really glad that I got it figured out.

Frustrating problem but glad you finally got it solved. Enjoy the updates. Thanks for sharing.

Frustrating is an understatement but it's all good now that I got it fixed :yup:

I love posts like these since I get to learn so much. Awesome write up as always and I cannot wait to see her repainted. [emoji1303]

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy these posts. :yup:

Nice find on that huge leak in the manifold plate! I know you can't really compare the old carb to the new but I bet that 470 cfm carb is a perfect match for your motor. In my younger days I found that more cfm on the same motor doesn't always equal more power. In fact, come to think about it, it always equaled more headaches. [emoji38]

Couldn't agree more. Right size carb for the right size motor is the way to go. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Quite the gremlin hunt. Can't wait to see the paint!

Only because I was too stupid to look a little harder for a vacuum leak right from the get go :doh:

nice work Eddie, looking forward to seeing the paint job as well!!

Thanks! We should have her back from paint in about 2 weeks. :wings:

Great post! like a trip down memory lane - chasing carb problems. :icon_crazy:
I had a 71 javelin with a built 304 that I was ALWAYS working on.
Learned a lot though- like how bad manual chokes sucked on January mornings....

No kidding, Javelin's are real nice! Starting up an old carb on a cold morning is not :crazyeyes:

Ugh that's so frustrating!!! Glad you were able to figure it out!

Frustrating for sure but super happy that I got it figured out :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love it. Great write up and I love the picture driving in the cold with no windshield to the paint shop [emoji106]

:cheesy: What you can't see is that it was snowing a bit too but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't having a blast :D

bthomas

Jane's Carburetor CALAMITY

Glad you found the issue. Finding other people's mistakes is always challenging to say the least. And FWIW, I've read and heard pretty good stuff about those truck avengers.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bunz-o-fun

No windshield, no head lights, no tail lights, no plates, no doors, no top. All you need is no shirt and a beer to make the moment complete! Glad the carb eventually worked out. Can't wait to see Jane's original color!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found the issue. Finding other people's mistakes is always challenging to say the least. And FWIW, I've read and heard pretty good stuff about those truck avengers.

I suppose it's all part of the fun but it can feel like torture at times. :crazyeyes:

No windshield, no head lights, no tail lights, no plates, no doors, no top. All you need is no shirt and a beer to make the moment complete! Glad the carb eventually worked out. Can't wait to see Jane's original color!

:cheesy: I'm crazy but not that crazy :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You did the right thing stepping down to the 470. The frustration from changing from a mc2100 to a 4bbl intake and holley 600 is what drove me to going efi.

LOL!! Funny you should say as much. I seriously considered just installing a TBI like I had on my old CJ7 back in the day.

Top Bottom