Can I build my axles?

Helipilot2

Alright guys, I've been buying parts to start my build because I had a guy I thought was a buddy volunteer to help me with the build and teach me along the way. At this point I'm assuming it was all talk, I can't get him to commit.

I've got a Cj5 I am stretching and putting 1 tons under. I have a 14 bolt and Dana 60 kingpin. My question is how hard is it to rebuild these being my first axle rebuilds. I like to think myself half way handy when it comes to mechanical stuff. I was able to convert my 304 to TBI with a bit of electrical help trouble shooting, I've lowered cars and rebuilt drum and disc brakes. Is this something you guys would recommend I try myself?

If I can't do this myself then I'll probably just move on and sell everything and wait until later in life to give it another whirl. I don't want to pay someone to build my jeep and have no clue how to fix it on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you weld? Assuming the axles come with the gear ratio you're wanting, all you really need is a way to bolt them up and for the most part, new brackets installed are about all you really need.

WJCO

Meme King
If it's a project Jeep and not a daily driver, go for it. You will need a dial indicator, inch pound torque wrench, a press, bearing tools, and maybe a slide hammer. There are plenty of videos on YouTube now. You also need a field service manual for specs. As long as you obtain proper pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, and gear backlash, you're good.

EDIT: After reading Eddie's post, maybe I read yours wrong. I was under the impression you are wanting to go through the axles and rebuild?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it's a project Jeep and not a daily driver, go for it. You will need a dial indicator, inch pound torque wrench, a press, bearing tools, and maybe a slide hammer. There are plenty of videos on YouTube now. You also need a field service manual for specs. As long as you obtain proper pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, and gear backlash, you're good.

EDIT: After reading Eddie's post, maybe I read yours wrong. I was under the impression you are wanting to go through the axles and rebuild?

:cheesy: After reading your response, I was starting to think I read his post wrong :crazyeyes:

Rb1boxer_3

Alright guys, I've been buying parts to start my build because I had a guy I thought was a buddy volunteer to help me with the build and teach me along the way. At this point I'm assuming it was all talk, I can't get him to commit.

I've got a Cj5 I am stretching and putting 1 tons under. I have a 14 bolt and Dana 60 kingpin. My question is how hard is it to rebuild these being my first axle rebuilds. I like to think myself half way handy when it comes to mechanical stuff. I was able to convert my 304 to TBI with a bit of electrical help trouble shooting, I've lowered cars and rebuilt drum and disc brakes. Is this something you guys would recommend I try myself?

If I can't do this myself then I'll probably just move on and sell everything and wait until later in life to give it another whirl. I don't want to pay someone to build my jeep and have no clue how to fix it on the trail.

Go for it man. I have no experience either but I know how to weld and have some basic knowledge and I'm building the same one tons as well. Only thing is I'm sure you could find some help around you with stretching it. Or look up on other sites. There's a lot of helpful information that's how I'm getting mine and doing it . It is a bit much though at first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Helipilot2

:cheesy: After reading your response, I was starting to think I read his post wrong :crazyeyes:

Haha you are both correct. I myself am wanting to rebuild the axles and get them ready for install. I'll have to pay a shop to do the stretch, adding frame, proper springs and shocks, and come up with something for power steering.

Helipilot2

Can you weld? Assuming the axles come with the gear ratio you're wanting, all you really need is a way to bolt them up and for the most part, new brackets installed are about all you really need.

I won't be doing that portion Eddie, I will be doing the rebuild of the axles themselves. I have new 5.38s, spool, and shave kit sitting in my closet along with disc brake brackets, calipers, and pads

WJCO

Meme King
Haha you are both correct. I myself am wanting to rebuild the axles and get them ready for install. I'll have to pay a shop to do the stretch, adding frame, proper springs and shocks, and come up with something for power steering.

You seem confident enough to do it, so I say go for it. You'll be very proud after going through it and doing it right. Just don't get frustrated and make sure and follow all the steps. It's not hard but is time consuming and can be a little tedious.

Helipilot2

Go for it man. I have no experience either but I know how to weld and have some basic knowledge and I'm building the same one tons as well. Only thing is I'm sure you could find some help around you with stretching it. Or look up on other sites. There's a lot of helpful information that's how I'm getting mine and doing it . It is a bit much though at first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea it's very overwhelming being my first time possibly attempting this. I don't want to get part way through and get to a point I can't finish and just have pieces of an axle lol.

Helipilot2

You seem confident enough to do it, so I say go for it. You'll be very proud after going through it and doing it right. Just don't get frustrated and make sure and follow all the steps. It's not hard but is time consuming and can be a little tedious.

Another reason I'd like to do it. I really would like the satisfaction of being able to say "i did that, I built it" but would feel way better doing all the work along side someone who can guide me while I ask questions.

holliewood61

Go for it, but there is no good enough when it comes to setting up gears. It has to be right. I assume going with tons you plan on running 37"+ tires. If you get these things set up too loose you will eat up ring and pinions. What are your stretch and suspension plans? Link suspension or staying on leafs? Whats your target wheelbase?

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Helipilot2

Go for it, but there is no good enough when it comes to setting up gears. It has to be right. I assume going with tons you plan on running 37"+ tires. If you get these things set up too loose you will eat up ring and pinions. What are your stretch and suspension plans? Link suspension or staying on leafs? Whats your target wheelbase?

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes I will be going with 40s. That's one of the things that makes me nervous, this stuff isn't cheap and I don't want to be throwing more money than needed at it. Just going to stay leafs for now, in 5-10 years I'll link it and hydro steer. If I could get to 102" that would be nice but I'd really like 105. Not sure that will be doable with leafs without making it look ridiculous

Last edited:

Helipilot2

Alright guys the build starts tomorrow. Spoke with a guy who does a lot of work out here for the local club and he is going to do my build and allow me to do it with him. He has a stretch YJ on tons with hydro steer so he's been down this road before.

Master install kits front and rear, ring and pinion front, hydro steer, leafs springs, materials for stretch, full rebuild from ground up on both axles, and all labor he quoted me 2k or less with me helping. Said it will probably take us 2-3 months working on it together on our off time. Very excited I get to work along side him and learn and understand how my rig is built and learning lots along the way!

WJCO

Meme King
Alright guys the build starts tomorrow. Spoke with a guy who does a lot of work out here for the local club and he is going to do my build and allow me to do it with him. He has a stretch YJ on tons with hydro steer so he's been down this road before.

Master install kits front and rear, ring and pinion front, hydro steer, leafs springs, materials for stretch, full rebuild from ground up on both axles, and all labor he quoted me 2k or less with me helping. Said it will probably take us 2-3 months working on it together on our off time. Very excited I get to work along side him and learn and understand how my rig is built and learning lots along the way!

Very cool.

Top Bottom