Anybody have the Teraflex explorer front bumper for a JK?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I know of. But of course, I think you'll find that most of the guys on here aren't that fond of TeraFlex products as a whole.

Draconianwinter

Can't say if it is any good or not as I have never used one, but to me it just looks cheaply made with more than one piece to it, and I could be wrong, but I think that would be more than one piece to break. For that price I think personally I would add a little extra and goo with a psc brawler bumper or the lod destroyer or signature series. While I mentioned the psc brawler which I do have and like it very much they are owned by a company who loves putting Americans out of work to make things cheaper in China, and will likely stay making them over there before long. So lod would be who I would say look at. If they had had the destroyer series when I got mine I would have went with them. Again my problem with the terraflex bumper is that it is made more than a couple pieces so to me it just seems cheaply made and looks like it has a couple areas that could come apart under the certain conditions. And yes I am aware you asked about that particular bumper. Not saying you should go with either of the ones I suggested you look at, but do look at them and how they are done and compare it to the way the terraflex is done and you will see why I said it looks cheaply made. Hope you you figure out what bumper you want and are happy with it no matter what you go with[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Crispie0206

Can't say if it is any good or not as I have never used one, but to me it just looks cheaply made with more than one piece to it, and I could be wrong, but I think that would be more than one piece to break. For that price I think personally I would add a little extra and goo with a psc brawler bumper or the lod destroyer or signature series. While I mentioned the psc brawler which I do have and like it very much they are owned by a company who loves putting Americans out of work to make things cheaper in China, and will likely stay making them over there before long. So lod would be who I would say look at. If they had had the destroyer series when I got mine I would have went with them. Again my problem with the terraflex bumper is that it is made more than a couple pieces so to me it just seems cheaply made and looks like it has a couple areas that could come apart under the certain conditions. And yes I am aware you asked about that particular bumper. Not saying you should go with either of the ones I suggested you look at, but do look at them and how they are done and compare it to the way the terraflex is done and you will see why I said it looks cheaply made. Hope you you figure out what bumper you want and are happy with it no matter what you go with[emoji106]

I do like the lod one! I actually was looking at that one too. I was considering an Ace engineering stubby bumper too. The Ace shop is about an hour from my house too which is a bonus. I do like buying local.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not a real fan of ACE bumpers but that's just me and I would buy one of them over TeraFlex any day of the week.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a lot of hating on Teraflex. I'm new to all of this so I was wondering why?

LOL!! You'll forgive me but just because people recommend against TeraFlex doesn't mean they're "hating" on them.

Here are a few links that should help you to understand why we're not real enthusiastic about their products:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

Of course, if you break their stuff, it's because YOU did something wrong but, they'll cover you anyway.

You just can't make this stuff up.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A lot of guys, here, prefer quality, and like things made in the USA. Have you seen an LOD, or EVO bumper in person? The quality is well above the cheaper competition. I haven't personally seen a RockHard bumper, but if the skids they make are an indicator of their overall quality, I'd say you couldn't go wrong there either. Teraflex has a reputation of selling poorly constructed, though slickly marketed products.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
And some of their stuff is rather expensive regardless of how it was made. So if you're going to buy cheap shit anyways, why pay a higher price? Many here would rather buy from a place that has high quality workmanship and products regardless of price.

Crispie0206

I haven't seen a lot of this stuff in person. I just started looking online within the last year. I definitely want to buy quality stuff no matter the price. That's why I joined was to hear from people with a lot of experience. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
To the OP. You'll see Eddie and many others not recommend Teraflex parts quite frequently on here, but rest assured Teraflex is not recommended because they absolutely make sub par parts. I've broken Teraflex long arm frame side rear control arm brackets, destroyed countless sets of teraflex long arm flex joints and bushings, had the front brackets get major stress cracks, and have broken two "monster" track bars like a twig. Sure, they replace the parts after calling and complaining, but that does you absolutely no good on the trail. Granted a bumper wont leave you stranded, but you'd honestly be better off just saving for a quality bumper rather than buying something made of cheap, thin steel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To the OP. You'll see Eddie and many others not recommend Teraflex parts quite frequently on here, but rest assured Teraflex is not recommended because they absolutely make sub par parts. I've broken Teraflex long arm frame side rear control arm brackets, destroyed countless sets of teraflex long arm flex joints and bushings, had the front brackets get major stress cracks, and have broken two "monster" track bars like a twig. Sure, they replace the parts after calling and complaining, but that does you absolutely no good on the trail. Granted a bumper wont leave you stranded, but you'd honestly be better off just saving for a quality bumper rather than buying something made of cheap, thin steel.

Spoken like a true hater - you're just making all this stuff up because they don't give you free parts :cheesy:

Crispie0206

I guess I shouldnt have said hater. What I meant was that you guys don't like Teraflex products because of bad experiences with them. That is what I was asking. Hater was the wrong word.

WJCO

Meme King
I guess I shouldnt have said hater. What I meant was that you guys don't like Teraflex products because of bad experiences with them. That is what I was asking. Hater was the wrong word.

Don't take it to heart. I'm assuming he wasn't referring to you, moreso a conglomerate of others that call Wayalife members haters for not speaking highly of Teraflex parts.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
For my part, I'm glad I found out about them. When you are new to Jeeps, their slick ads are everywhere, and you think that surely they are great parts. I don't want stuff that breaks, even if they'll replace it. The high quality American made stuff is made by folks that believe in good customer service, and will rectify problems, if you experience them. More than likely, you won't need that, though.

132JKPNW

Have you checked out any other smaller brands? There's a lot of companies out there that make bumpers and accessories besides your top google hits. I had schrockworks (waited a long time and paid an arm and leg) but they where great. Sold them to my neighbor and switched to VKS bumpers. Way cheaper, great quality and amazing customer service. I was going for a different look and style of riding with a future stretch (2dr) being the main reason I changed them.

Draconianwinter

I haven't seen a lot of this stuff in person. I just started looking online within the last year. I definitely want to buy quality stuff no matter the price. That's why I joined was to hear from people with a lot of experience. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming!

You definitely came to the right place. You will find people here are more than willing to try and help keep you from making a bad purchase[emoji106]

Top Bottom