Ditching the rear bumper...Why and why not?

LOL!! You'll forgive me but just because people recommend against TeraFlex doesn't mean they're "hating" on them.

Here are a few links that should help you to understand why we're not real enthusiastic about their products:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

Of course, if you break their stuff, it's because YOU did something wrong but, they'll cover you anyway.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Aaaand I will be canceling my order for the HD tire carrier. So glad I was sniffing around and saw this. Thanks for posting those links Eddie! I guess now its back to square one. I dont want to run a rear bumper combo so perhaps Poison Spider or LOD.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Aaaand I will be canceling my order for the HD tire carrier. So glad I was sniffing around and saw this. Thanks for posting those links Eddie! I guess now its back to square one. I dont want to run a rear bumper combo so perhaps Poison Spider or LOD.

EVO makes one too.

EVO makes one too.

Is that the one I see on Moby and Rubicat? I do like that. Since we're on the subject and I feel somewhat guilty for hijacking the thread, what is the benefit of not running a rear bumper like I see on some of the rigs? Any issues that come up I should consider?

WJCO

Meme King
Is that the one I see on Moby and Rubicat? I do like that. Since we're on the subject and I feel somewhat guilty for hijacking the thread, what is the benefit of not running a rear bumper like I see on some of the rigs? Any issues that come up I should consider?

Here's the one I was referring to, but the one you mentioned is used by a lot of guys with no issues: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39408-New-Evo-Mfg-pro-series-hinged-gate. I think the big advantage of not having a bumper is the weight savings.

Im starting to see more and more JK's ditch the rear bumper and just have a deidcated tire carrier. I like that look and I can see a benefit of weight savings and an improvement in departure angle. But....Anything else im missing or not considering?
I just hijacked a thread and feel bad so I though it wise to make a dedicated post about it.:hmm:

WJCO

Meme King
Im starting to see more and more JK's ditch the rear bumper and just have a deidcated tire carrier. I like that look and I can see a benefit of weight savings and an improvement in departure angle. But....Anything else im missing or not considering?
I just hijacked a thread and feel bad so I though it wise to make a dedicated post about it.:hmm:

No problem. I moved your posts from there to here.

J

JKDream

Depending on where you live (my city) it isn't legal to run no rear bumper.
If that is the case, (which I suggest you look into before doing so) you could always go with a high clearance bumper like the PSC BFH.
With the crossmember trimming you get essentially the same departure angle, and more protection for the corners of the tub if you do manage to slip off a rock.

Ddays

Hooked
Evo makes two options for high clearance - the new High and Tight bumper is pretty sweet. Or you could run the Evo rear bumper fascia. While not a 'bumper' in the literal sense, I don't see how you could get written up for it.

J

JKDream

Evo makes two options for high clearance - the new High and Tight bumper is pretty sweet. Or you could run the Evo rear bumper fascia. While not a 'bumper' in the literal sense, I don't see how you could get written up for it.

I got a vehicle inspection notice and a tow for it lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Improved departure angle isn't enough of a reason to go bumperless especially being that there are a lot of good bumpers out there that offer good clearance as is. Cutting off the a structural part of your frame designed to help provide rigidity and pull a trailer from just to gain a tad bit more departure angle is just stupid or at least to me anyway. So what, you hit your bumper coming off a ledge - no big deal. The biggest reasons to go bumperless is weight savings and being that I carry such a big heavy spare and a ton of gear, getting rid of my bumper was helpful. As far as my exposed corners go, all I can say is that I've yet to see them get hit. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take that for what it's worth.

J

JKDream

No shit? For running the fascia kit? Did you have to go back to a bumper then?

Yes, EVO Fascia and D-rings. Got a box 1 VI which was an immediate tow and inspection.
Reasoning was due to no protection and didn't cover rear tires. Easy enough to pass, but didn't end up going back to bumperless.
We have a shit ton of trees out here anyhow, bumper is handy in case you reverse into one.

Improved departure angle isn't enough of a reason to go bumperless especially being that there are a lot of good bumpers out there that offer good clearance as is. Cutting off the a structural part of your frame designed to help provide rigidity and pull a trailer from just to gain a tad bit more departure angle is just stupid or at least to me anyway. So what, you hit your bumper coming off a ledge - no big deal. The biggest reasons to go bumperless is weight savings and being that I carry such a big heavy spare and a ton of gear, getting rid of my bumper was helpful. As far as my exposed corners go, all I can say is that I've yet to see them get hit. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for the reply Eddie. Its one of those things that I just didnt know enough about. I have been looking at other bumper options and, now that I know the reason behind it I dont see a practical reason for me to go bumperless. I will take a look at EVO Manufacturing and some others for a good setup. Thanks for all the info everyone!

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I really removed the rear bumper because I think I looks better without the stock bumper. I don't really know if I will ever run a rear bumper just because of the weight. Traveling out west to wheel, I am very conscious of my weight savings. LOL

WJCO

Meme King
I really removed the rear bumper because I think I looks better without the stock bumper. I don't really know if I will ever run a rear bumper just because of the weight. Traveling out west to wheel, I am very conscious of my weight savings. LOL

We did the EVO fascia for the same reason. Looks.

WJCO

Meme King
Did you guys look into laws on rear bumper? Not sure if that's a city or state thing. Would love to run the Fascia at some point.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

No I haven't. Never thought of it actually. Same with fender laws. I know back East, with state inspections, there are a lot more things to pay attention to. Colorado is pretty mod friendly, but I haven't looked into it.

Top Bottom