Good Deal?

ryanbauer

I just got offered a set of rubicon dana 44's with e-lockers off an 08 rubicon with 70k miles on them and 4.88 gears. I have an 07 sahara running 37's (only had for a month) on the stock d30 front and d44 rear with 4.10 gearing no lockers. I was planning on going up to 5.13 gears and the synergy d30 assurance kit but the shop quoted me at 1800 for that. The offer for the 44's and e-lockers fully installed for 5,000. I feel like this is an awesome deal I just want some assurance from some of you more experienced dudes before I throw my entire savings at my jeep. Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, seems like a lot of money to me. Not really a deal at all. With that many miles, I'd have to think that the front axle is seeing some bending at the C's if not the tubes and the factory e-locker does have a way of going bad. If anything, your rear axle can be converted to a 35 spline setup where as the Rubicon cannot. If it were me, I would take that $5k, build up your rear axle and get a ProRock 44 front axle. Wouldn't be that much more money and you'd have a much better setup.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Holy shit! 5k for used rubicon axles!?! Hell no! Spend your money better and get a PR44 front axle and rehear your rear axle for about that price

J

JKDream

I dunno, seems like a lot of money to me. Not really a deal at all. With that many miles, I'd have to think that the front axle is seeing some bending at the C's if not the tubes and the factory e-locker does have a way of going bad. If anything, your rear axle can be converted to a 35 spline setup where as the Rubicon cannot. If it were me, I would take that $5k, build up your rear axle and get a ProRock 44 front axle. Wouldn't be that much more money and you'd have a much better setup.

This.
To give you a rough idea of what the "market value" is, I paid $400 for my front 44.
Most people find them for around $750 for the assembly. Housing isn't worth shit, so you're really buying it for the internals unless you plan on building the housing.
Eddie is right, the Sahara rear 44 is actually better to build for 35 splines.

ryanbauer

Thanks Eddie, I'm glad I asked you guys before I jumped into this. I thought I was getting a good deal. I think I might just hold out until my D30 blows up and go that route so I have time to save up.

ryanbauer

This.
To give you a rough idea of what the "market value" is, I paid $400 for my front 44.
Most people find them for around $750 for the assembly. Housing isn't worth shit, so you're really buying it for the internals unless you plan on building the housing.
Eddie is right, the Sahara rear 44 is actually better to build for 35 splines.

I'll have to look into building the rear for 35 spline. I haven't read much about that. Thank you

ryanbauer

Holy shit! 5k for used rubicon axles!?! Hell no! Spend your money better and get a PR44 front axle and rehear your rear axle for about that price

I snagged the d30/d44 Yukon 5.13 master overhaul kit off Northridge's cyber monday sale for 500 bucks so I think I'll just bite the high labor rates here in Boise and hope that synergy assurance kit helps prolong my D30's life until I'm done with school.

KJV

I snagged the d30/d44 Yukon 5.13 master overhaul kit off Northridge's cyber monday sale for 500 bucks so I think I'll just bite the high labor rates here in Boise and hope that synergy assurance kit helps prolong my D30's life until I'm done with school.

Not sure what the "assurance kit" consists of but c gussets will help. I'd save the 35 spline upgrade on the D44 for a later date and work on getting that D30 out of there as soon as possible. Your 37's will definitely speed up the process.

J

JKDream

I wouldn't spend the money on sleeves.
These axles tend to bend at the differential (where the tubes press into the housing), which the sleeves do not slide into.
Essentially they don't help and are more of a gimmick. I went the truss route in my opinion it does help.
However, I wouldn't recommend it because it is indeed quite easy to mangle your housing during install.
With 35's you're fine with just gussets.

ryanbauer

Not sure what the "assurance kit" consists of but c gussets will help. I'd save the 35 spline upgrade on the D44 for a later date and work on getting that D30 out of there as soon as possible. Your 37's will definitely speed up the process.

Its sleeves, c gusset inners, and lca skids. It was only 200 bucks and if it can get my d30 to last until I'm done with school then I won't be mad about it.

Top Bottom