Boxing a 67' CJ-5 Frame

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm asking this for a co-worker as he asked me and I did not have the answer. He is doing a frame off restoration of a 67' CJ-5. He is going to have the frame boxed and powdercoated. He was given the advice not to completely box it in near where the steering box mounts and front axle reside, but rather leave a "pie" shaped cut out. The explanation he was given was that completely boxing it in would not allow enough flex thus causing the welds to break. Having no experience with this I come to those on the forum having dealt with this. Does this sound accurate? If not any advice on how to properly have it boxed would be great. Thanks for your help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is one school of thought. There are even some guys who will say that they want their frame to twist as it gives them more flex on the trail. I personally don't agree. Sure, welds else where on the frame can be stressed to the point of breaking with a more rigid frame but I would rather reinforce those areas than to have a flexy frame. But, that's just me.

Draconianwinter

Ummm that seems wrong to me, not saying it is wrong, but i don't see how this would make a difference in that issue unless the only place that flexes is that one spot. So idk, but definitely interested to see the answer to this one as well

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
That is one school of thought. There are even some guys who will say that they want their frame to twist as it gives them more flex on the trail. I personally don't agree. Sure, welds else where on the frame can be stressed to the point of breaking with a more rigid frame but I would rather reinforce those areas than to have a flexy frame. But, that's just me.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What areas can you expect to be subjected to more stress and would benefit from reinforcing? Id assume suspension, body, and possibly motor/trans mounts? Also his intended use isn't going to be anything more that light to moderate off road use. Probably not big rocks or really technical trails. As he put it "I'm not going to be doing anything crazy..:crazyeyes:"

Ummm that seems wrong to me, not saying it is wrong, but i don't see how this would make a difference in that issue unless the only place that flexes is that one spot. So idk, but definitely interested to see the answer to this one as well

I was thinking the same thing, that it would place most of the stress in one area of the frame. After enough use I think the frame may crack (kind of like when you bend a coat hanger back and forth). But as I mentioned I have no experience in this.

Draconianwinter

Yeah i have heard that stated before as well. My opinion is pretty simple. If i am getting enough twist out of my frame to make any kind of difference in my suspensions flex then i don't think i will be worrying about it add i likely just shot the frame. Like you i would rather reinforce the areas that could break under certain conditions

Breer

Caught the Bug
I have heard of several people doing this before. I have never heard of the pie cuts however. And every time I have heard of it being done the entire frame was boxed. I have also read the frames were designed to flex to a certain extent but if it's going to be lifted and modified then that's were the strength from boxing the entire frame becomes beneficial. Originally the jeeps were very small and didn't flex much...

Also, my 70 frame had cracks just front of the front crossmember on the lower side, which is one of the most common place these frames crack.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have heard of several people doing this before. I have never heard of the pie cuts however. And every time I have heard of it being done the entire frame was boxed. I have also read the frames were designed to flex to a certain extent but if it's going to be lifted and modified then that's were the strength from boxing the entire frame becomes beneficial. Originally the jeeps were very small and didn't flex much...

Also, my 70 frame had cracks just front of the front crossmember on the lower side, which is one of the most common place these frames crack.

Thanks for the info I'll pass it along. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What areas can you expect to be subjected to more stress and would benefit from reinforcing? Id assume suspension, body, and possibly motor/trans mounts? Also his intended use isn't going to be anything more that light to moderate off road use. Probably not big rocks or really technical trails. As he put it "I'm not going to be doing anything crazy..:crazyeyes:"

Intermediate CJ5's like what I have came boxed around the motor mount area from the factory. Where you will see more stress is at the shackle mounts and the cross members.

Draconianwinter

Intermediate CJ5's like what I have came boxed around the motor mount area from the factory. Where you will see more stress is at the shackle mounts and the cross members.
Heavy duty shackle hangers was the first thing i put on both the cj7s i had lol. The first one i owned i found out how easily they could be broken lol

sent from your basement

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I think boxing is a good place to start and agree with WAL on boxing the frame

I broke my 1973 CJ5 frame back in the late 1980s and it was boxed in.
If you want a strong frame get a mandrel bent from new steel or box in yours.

I just boxed in my Willys CJ3a frame due to some stress cracks starting at the shackles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom