Re-gear with just the 5.13 gears or the whole master installation kit

Eddie_k

So it's time to re-gear my 2016 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Currently I am running on 35's but in the near future I'll be getting 37s, therefore I am going with the 5.13 gear set. It has only 5000 miles on it. I have the option to just replace the gears or to replace the whole thing. Some say since it is new I should just replace the gears but some say it's not worth taking the risk and should go with the master installation kit. I would appreciate any insights into this to help me make a better decision. I would also appreciate a good referral who's experienced in doing this. It's interesting how many mechanics don't know what re-gearing is. Thank you.

Last edited:

Desert Crawler

With it being that new, I am assuming it is also low mileage. I would just go with a minor install kit. Your bearings should have plenty of life left and may save you some money on the labor as well as the kit. There is a part called an oil slinger that usually gets damaged removing the pinion and needs to be replaced. They are not in all minor install kits, but are just a couple of dollars.

Eddie_k

With it being that new, I am assuming it is also low mileage. I would just go with a minor install kit. Your bearings should have plenty of life left and may save you some money on the labor as well as the kit. There is a part called an oil slinger that usually gets damaged removing the pinion and needs to be replaced. They are not in all minor install kits, but are just a couple of dollars.

That's the type of information I need. Thank you friend. They keep telling me it's not a good idea to reuse the stock parts because when they take them out sometimes they get damaged. So this is the only part that is prone to damage. So, I'll get the oil slinger only and have them do gears only. It will definitely save me some money. Also, do you know if replacing the gears voids the factory warranty? Thanks.

Draconianwinter

That's the type of information I need. Thank you friend. They keep telling me it's not a good idea to reuse the stock parts because when they take them out sometimes they get damaged. So this is the only part that is prone to damage. So, I'll get the oil slinger only and have them do gears only. It will definitely save me some money. Also, do you know if replacing the gears voids the factory warranty? Thanks.
Evo/ore is r right there near you. I would make the trip to them. As for the factory warranty. To my understanding only things that are directly effected by a modification can have the warranty voided not the entire thing. As far as regearing goes evo/ore could likely better answer that for you.

sent from your basement

Draconianwinter

Also will point out that most on here don't advise going over a 4.88 ratio on the stock rubi front d44 due to the very small size of the pinion gear. Would definitely be keeping that in mind.

sent from your basement

Eddie_k

Also will point out that most on here don't advise going over a 4.88 ratio on the stock rubi front d44 due to the very small size of the pinion gear. Would definitely be keeping that in mind.

sent from your basement

I should mention that my jeep is automatic. Is it common to run into problems with 5.13? Whatever gear I choose I'll be running on 35's for the next 6 months at least, before moving to 37's. All I really want is to enjoy driving the darn thing. Right now it is very sluggish and keeps shifting up/down. I mostly drive on freeway. Currently the RPM is around 3000-3500 on 5th gear at 75-80mph. I have already calibrated the tire size/speedo with Procal. Also, who is Evo/ore? Is that a shop? Where are they located? Thank you.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

sent from your basement

Not true. On a d30 you don't want to go over a 4.88 but on a d44 you can safely run a 5.13 gear but shouldn't go any larger.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I should mention that my jeep is automatic. Is it common to run into problems with 5.13? Whatever gear I choose I'll be running on 35's for the next 6 months at least, before moving to 37's. All I really want is to enjoy driving the darn thing. Right now it is very sluggish and keeps shifting up/down. I mostly drive on freeway. Currently the RPM is around 3000-3500 on 5th gear at 75-80mph. I have already calibrated the tire size/speedo with Procal. Also, who is Evo/ore? Is that a shop? Where are they located? Thank you.

No you will not run into any problems with 5.13's. they are a great ratio and I'm glad to hear your planning a head for when you get 37's, that way you only need to rehear once.

Ore is Off-road Evolution who is located in Fullerton. They have a regear special right now for all parts and labor for $999.

When you adjust your tire size make sure you go off of what actual tire size and NOT what's written on the sidewall

WJCO

Meme King
With that low of mileage, just do the gears, the slinger and the crush sleeve and re-use the bearings. It may not be a bad idea to replace the inner pinion bearings just because they have to be pulled off and pressed on for the new pinion gear. From what I've heard about ORE though, they know what they're doing and it likely won't be needed and they'll let you know if it gets compromised during removal.

WJCO

Meme King

sent from your basement

Not true. On a d30 you don't want to go over a 4.88 but on a d44 you can safely run a 5.13 gear but shouldn't go any larger.

Cozdude is right. 4.88 is about as far as you want to go on a D30 gearset. Just for reference, the picture below is a 4.56 for a D30 compared to a 4.56 for a D44. You can see a huge difference. You can imagine how much smaller a 4.88 or a 5.13 would be on a D30 axle.

DSC02639.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Cozdude is right. 4.88 is about as far as you want to go on a D30 gearset. Just for reference, the picture below is a 4.56 for a D30 compared to a 4.56 for a D44. You can see a huge difference. You can imagine how much smaller a 4.88 or a 5.13 would be on a D30 axle.

View attachment 232804
As gear ratio goes up, wouldn't the ring get bigger (or stay the same) and the pinion get smaller?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

WJCO

Meme King
As gear ratio goes up, wouldn't the ring get bigger (or stay the same) and the pinion get smaller?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Usually the ring gear stays about the same. There's sometimes minor changes so the new pinion will reach it but it's mainly the pinion that changes. But regardless, you should always replace meshing gears of any type as a set.

Eddie_k

Ok, so 5.13 it is. I also decided to spend the little bit more money and get the complete installation kit, just to be safe. Thank you all for your valuable input. I'll keep you posted as it progresses. Today I will be installing the Metalcloak Overline fenders on front and the Overland fenders on rear. Can hardly wait.

Top Bottom