Wiring to Battery

HansGrubr

Hi All,

In all of the write ups I've read, most people just say to wire to the positive battery terminal. Is there any difference in which part of the terminal you hook up your winch, CB radio, or off road lights to? I know winches shouldn't go on side posts, but what about in the picture attached?

Thanks!

IMG_0646.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Remove the nut. If it is flat on both the nut and the terminal surface, that's the one you want. I think it's the green one.

And you may want to move the ground cable to the nut with the yellow arrow in my pic below. One of them is flat and the other has a convex cone on it that can loosen repeatedly.

IMG_0646.JPG

Last edited:

HansGrubr

Remove the nut. If it is flat on both the nut and the terminal surface, that's the one you want. I think it's the green one.

And you may want to move the ground cable to the nut with the yellow arrow in my pic below. One of them is flat and the other has a convex cone on it that can loosen repeatedly.

View attachment 232833

Thanks for your help! Is that the only reason to have it connected to the green terminal, because of the convex bolt loosening?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for your help! Is that the only reason to have it connected to the green terminal, because of the convex bolt loosening?

Yes. Any metal touching metal will have continuity, so as far as the circuit itself, there is no difference which nut you use.

Anything touching positive has power, anything touching negative is ground.

Frydaddy

As WJCO said, stay away from the convex nut (the one closest to the lead post) but he didnt say why. That is the clamping nut for the post. as it is tightened, it slides along the channel in the metal below it, tightening the clamp. your ground lead is removing it's ability to clamp the post properly.
As for the remaining points, (yellow, green, blue arrows) they all will work as normal.

Top Bottom