Rubi Transfer case or Warn Powerplant

desertrunner

So right now i have been talking to 2 people on craigslist about parts.

the guy with the rubi t case has been slowly dropping the price but wouldnt take my offer for 1000, is sticking firm with wanting $1200
its out of a 14' with 28k miles

the other guy im talking to has a used warn powerplant with all the parts and pieces that came with it and says it works but i havent tested it out yet he is asking $950

Unfortunately i only have the cash for one of these and i really want both.

Being that i have a sport with no lockers and i dont have an air compressor at home the Power Plant sure does sound nice but i feel like the t case is going to be harder to come by especially since i am going to me moving to MT here in about 5 months.

If it were you what would you do? i wasnt wanting to drop 1200 on the Tcase but not sure if its a good enough deal that i should take it??

If it were me, I'd do the winch... it's going to help you out of a lot more situations than a transfer case will and as you stated, the added compressor makes it an even better value.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I would go the other route - transfer case.
They're pretty difficult to come by, and the price seems reasonable.
The WARN would be a good addition, but you can always find these kicking around.
Or you could go with like a VR8000 etc new for half the price, and it'll have a warranty.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow that really is a tough one!

On one hand the winch will get you out of more situations and seems like a hell of a price.

On the other you have a Rubi t case with low miles for a decent price as well that will help slightly when you wheel.

In the end I really have to say I would lean more towards the powerplant. It will help you fill up tires, get you out of sticky situations, and is better in the long run. The sport t case really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and when you regear it will do just fine.

boardsurfer

Tough call. I think I would go with the transfer case. That seems like a good deal and they dont come around that often.

desertrunner

Right! It's a tough call I wish I would have found these both before I went and dropped 1k on black Friday with trail jeeps. Although I did buy a quarter pounder for the sole sake of putting the power plant in it so I have to say I'm leaning that way. Especially when you consider a winch will get you unstuck in a crappy situation and a rubi transfer case won't haha and that I don't have a compressor at all at home right now. My big concern was if 1200 was a steal for the tcase and it is really that worth it it seems stupid to pass it up for only 200 above offer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
My vote is for the powerplant. ESPECIALLY if you don't already have a winch. A transfer case isn't going to help you when you are stuck. The 4.10 crawl is awesome, but I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd on MOST trail obsticals anyway (manual rubicon) but I'm also geared to 5.13 w/ 37s. I did the powerplant first though, and haven't regretted it at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

KJV

Go with the winch. Winch and compressor are going to help you more out on the trails. The transfer case, while being nice to have won't be an absolute necessity once you regear. I run 35's 5:13 ratio with the stock Sport T Case. Gearing is plenty low for crawling and just enough torque to power over and up most obstacles. Just my opinion....take it for what it's worth to ya.

dillard09

I vote powerplant. It's a winch and a compressor both of which you don't have. The day you need a winch and don't have it the 4-1 rubi case is not going to help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So right now i have been talking to 2 people on craigslist about parts.

the guy with the rubi t case has been slowly dropping the price but wouldnt take my offer for 1000, is sticking firm with wanting $1200
its out of a 14' with 28k miles

the other guy im talking to has a used warn powerplant with all the parts and pieces that came with it and says it works but i havent tested it out yet he is asking $950

Unfortunately i only have the cash for one of these and i really want both.

Being that i have a sport with no lockers and i dont have an air compressor at home the Power Plant sure does sound nice but i feel like the t case is going to be harder to come by especially since i am going to me moving to MT here in about 5 months.

If it were you what would you do? i wasnt wanting to drop 1200 on the Tcase but not sure if its a good enough deal that i should take it??

I see you have a 6-speed. Is the 2014 transfer case out of a automatic or manual? If it's an auto, it won't work on your Jeep so get the PowerPlant. If it is a manual, how often do you wheel on your own? If a lot, I might recommend you get the PowerPlant. If never, a 4:1 transfer case is awesome to have and it's priced about right.

desertrunner

I see you have a 6-speed. Is the 2014 transfer case out of a automatic or manual? If it's an auto, it won't work on your Jeep so get the PowerPlant. If it is a manual, how often do you wheel on your own? If a lot, I might recommend you get the PowerPlant. If never, a 4:1 transfer case is awesome to have and it's priced about right.
I have a 6 speed and his is also out of a 6 speed so it would work for me.

In the past I have never wheeled alone but I also lived in college dorms with all my buddies who had jeeps to go with. Now that we are all stationed in different places and I have moved 4 times in 3 years (nature of being in the military haha) I find that more often than not it's just my wife and I out exploring. But I really haven't searched for that hard of trails because lately I have been alone.

desertrunner

My vote is for the powerplant. ESPECIALLY if you don't already have a winch. A transfer case isn't going to help you when you are stuck. The 4.10 crawl is awesome, but I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd on MOST trail obsticals anyway (manual rubicon) but I'm also geared to 5.13 w/ 37s. I did the powerplant first though, and haven't regretted it at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

yeah thats why i was originally leaning towards the winch since i dont have one AND i dont have a compressor kill two birds with one stone there and id have agree with you on that my last jk was the manual rubi and the only time i was ever in 1st was to crawl over the big rocks (37s and 4.10s) which i wouldnt be climbing with my 33s now anyway haha

Go with the winch. Winch and compressor are going to help you more out on the trails. The transfer case, while being nice to have won't be an absolute necessity once you regear. I run 35's 5:13 ratio with the stock Sport T Case. Gearing is plenty low for crawling and just enough torque to power over and up most obstacles. Just my opinion....take it for what it's worth to ya.

My thought process was i dont want to spend the money on the D30 so i was going to wait on the re gear until i could save up for a PR44 front and do it all at once, which is a ways down the road so the 4-1 would help me out for now while im stuck with the 3.21s :icon_crazy:

Thanks for all the opinions! I think im going to stick with the powerplant and see how it goes i havent even looked at it and it is used so when i go check it out next weekend if it all checks out and isnt super beat up just go with that and hey if it isnt in good shape then ill pass on it and get the T-case since it sounds like it is priced about right and the fact that my offer already was only 200 less before i found the winch.

JKbrick

Hahaha oh boy I wish! My wife doesn't quite see spending that kinda money on the jeep the same as me. Something about buying our first house in a few months she seems to think is more important haha

My wife doesn't either, luckily my trade allows me to get cash for little jobs I can do on the side so if I need something I just work a little extra.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom