My first breakdown on the trail

JKU Arizona

So I was on my way to Desoto mine to meet with a local club for a run when my check engine light starts flashing and engine starts acting sluggish and shaking really bad. Not really on the trail but was literally like 7 mins away from the trail. Luckily it was a dirt road and I was able to get it back to pavement safely. Bummer that i missed the trail but glade to be home now. Jeep is at the dealer waiting to get looked at. So looking at the bright side of it I get to drive a Jeep Renegade for the weekend.

20161203_105649.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
that sucks, hopefully it's nothing serious and good you got back to the main road, tow truck rates skyrocket if they have to leave the pavement :icon_crazy:

JKU Arizona

Thanks all, Yeah I'm really hoping its something minor also. After reading on the forum its sounding like a misfire. I should know Monday what the $$$$$ damage is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No it didn't die. Check engine started flashing on and off and made a beeping sound and started running sluggish. I was able to drive it back a few miles but very slowly.

A flashing check engine light with the chime going on is typically caused by cylinder misfire. Being that you have a 2008, I'd have to guess you have a bad O2 sensor.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yup. Just went through this with my 08. I hope your dealer is honest. Post up here what they say is the problem because stuff like this can run the gamut from cheap easy fix like a vacuum line popped off or a spark plug wire going bad to something costly like fuel injectors or cylinder issues.

JKU Arizona

A flashing check engine light with the chime going on is typically caused by cylinder misfire. Being that you have a 2008, I'd have to guess you have a bad O2 sensor.
Hope you right on it being an O2 sensor. I was saving for a lift (evo or rancho) so hoping i don't have to dig that much into that budget.

JKU Arizona

Yup. Just went through this with my 08. I hope your dealer is honest. Post up here what they say is the problem because stuff like this can run the gamut from cheap easy fix like a vacuum line popped off or a spark plug wire going bad to something costly like fuel injectors or cylinder issues.
What was wrong with yours? Was it an easy fix?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Long story short it sat at a dealership for around a month with a 'unable to duplicate problem ' diagnosis. So I pick it up and in the way home I get multiple misfires and I'm limping on 4 cylinders. I run the codes myself and decide to stop at advanced auto. Lift the hood and look at the easiest thing to diagnose which is the plugs/wires/ignition coil. When I pulled my number 2 wire from the coil pack the post was rusted completely over. Went in and bought a 60 dollar coil pack and threw it on and it's back to normal. No misfires. Hope yours is something simple like that and you have a competent dealer/mechanic.

WARNING oversimplification coming.... lol

I always have this little voice in my head... it can only be one of 2 things - Fuel or Spark. Now it can take you on plenty of twists and turns trying to diagnose either thing, but if you can RCA it down to one or the other, you can use some common sense and try the obvious things as self diagnosis. My thinking is hopefully I can help determine the fundamental issue. Might be larger than I want to fix it however...

JKU Arizona

So got it back from the dealer... long story short they want to start with replacing the spark plugs and wires ($400+) then if that doesn't clear it replace the O2 sensors and possible also the cat converter. While they were looking at it they notice i also need a new Oil pan gasket (small leak), intake manifold gasket (leaking) and water pump (starting to leak a little). All that work done quoted at a little over $2,200 http://wayalife.com/images/smilies/shock.gif .. I now have the jeep back in my possession went directly to Autozone and purchase plugs and wires and ordering all the other stuff needed online. Going to spend my nights from now till all the work gets competed but saving all that money. No way i was going to pay them $400 for spark plugs and wires.

Also I'm thinking they screwed up because they only charged me $60 for the diagnostics and car rental.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Yeah that's about right. They charge for 'diagnosis' but don't really have one. And there solution is to just fire the parts cannon at it on your dime. I think you're starting at a good spot. Let us know how it goes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So got it back from the dealer... long story short they want to start with replacing the spark plugs and wires ($400+) then if that doesn't clear it replace the O2 sensors and possible also the cat converter. While they were looking at it they notice i also need a new Oil pan gasket (small leak), intake manifold gasket (leaking) and water pump (starting to leak a little). All that work done quoted at a little over $2,200 http://wayalife.com/images/smilies/shock.gif .. I now have the jeep back in my possession went directly to Autozone and purchase plugs and wires and ordering all the other stuff needed online. Going to spend my nights from now till all the work gets competed but saving all that money. No way i was going to pay them $400 for spark plugs and wires.

Also I'm thinking they screwed up because they only charged me $60 for the diagnostics and car rental.

:eek: $400 for plugs and wires??? :naw:

Nice that you're going to take this on yourself. Did your dealership at least give you what codes you were getting? No need to go replacing all kinds of things you don't need to replace. Your P-code should give you a good idea of where to start and really, doing one thing at a time is the best way to solve a problem. That way, you know what actually fixed it.

JKU Arizona

:eek: $400 for plugs and wires??? :naw:

Nice that you're going to take this on yourself. Did your dealership at least give you what codes you were getting? No need to go replacing all kinds of things you don't need to replace. Your P-code should give you a good idea of where to start and really, doing one thing at a time is the best way to solve a problem. That way, you know what actually fixed it.

Total they wanted $620 out the door for plugs wires and car rental.. They didn't give me the exact codes they said the codes were bad o2 sensors front and rear. But they wanted to change out plugs and wires to see if that would clear the codes. Then if that didn't fix it O2 sensor and who know how much they would have wanted for those. Then maybe cat converter. Also the explanation i got for the high price was because of the dual battery kit I have installed they said it added labor.

I started changing out plugs last night (one side done) tonight i'll start on the passenger side. See what happens.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Total they wanted $620 out the door for plugs wires and car rental.. They didn't give me the exact codes they said the codes were bad o2 sensors front and rear. But they wanted to change out plugs and wires to see if that would clear the codes. Then if that didn't fix it O2 sensor and who know how much they would have wanted for those. Then maybe cat converter. Also the explanation i got for the high price was because of the dual battery kit I have installed they said it added labor.

I started changing out plugs last night (one side done) tonight i'll start on the passenger side. See what happens.

Well, if the codes they got were for bad upstream and down stream O2 sensors, that's most likely your problem and it would have helped to know which of the 4 you have were bad. But, it doesn't hurt to change out your plugs first. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom