Tpms

Tanktitan

My tire pressure monitoring system is not working correctly. The rear left and right indicators are reversed. I can drop the pressure to 15 psi on the left and the display shows the 15 psiI on the right. I recently replaced the stock Rubicon wheels and tires with Hutchison rock monsters. As I understand there is a sensor at the valve stem and a receiver on the vehicle that should indicate which position the sensor is reading, is this correct? So why then is the sensor not reading or displaying correctly? I thought it would rectify itself, but I have put several hundred miles on it, and it is still doing it. Comments?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tanmanjk

Can you switch those two tires? Then drop the pressure and see what you get as a reading? With electronics thing don't rectify themselves, that I know for sure. Push come to shine disconnect the battery terminal and give it a little to reset see if that works.

Tanktitan

Can you switch those two tires? Then drop the pressure and see what you get as a reading? With electronics thing don't rectify themselves, that I know for sure. Push come to shine disconnect the battery terminal and give it a little to reset see if that works.

Someone else told me to switch the tires. I don't want to be hardheaded but I don't understand how that works. If switching the tires fixed it, how would you ever be able to rotate tires? I will try disconnecting the battery first, thanks.

Napalm

Not sure what's causing this because anytime I've had issues with TPMS, they've always reset themselves.

Now, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the last time I reset a set of TPMS, I had to air them up to 35PSI in the tires before they would. I'm not sure if this is a requirement but something I had to do to get mine to register with the Jeep.

Since you can't get them to reset, I'd just swap the rear tires.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
^^^^ 2nd this assuming that the OP hasn't reprogrammed them to something different.

Tanktitan

My tire pressure monitoring system is not working correctly. The rear left and right indicators are reversed. I can drop the pressure to 15 psi on the left and the display shows the 15 psiI on the right. I recently replaced the stock Rubicon wheels and tires with Hutchison rock monsters. As I understand there is a sensor at the valve stem and a receiver on the vehicle that should indicate which position the sensor is reading, is this correct? So why then is the sensor not reading or displaying correctly? I thought it would rectify itself, but I have put several hundred miles on it, and it is still doing it. Comments?

My problem with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is resolved. The dealer replaced a faulty tire pressure monitor (TPM).

Here is how the TPMS works on modern JK's with the "connectivity package":

Each valve stem has a pressure monitor and an RF transmitter. It transmits that tire's pressure and an ID number. The signal that the RF transmitter emits is read by the tire pressure monitor (TPM) while the vehicle is in motion. The TPM discerns where the signal is coming from (right front, left rear, etc). It is located centrally under the vehicle.

That transmitted ID number can also be read and recorded at each wheel by a TPS tool the dealer has and verified thru the OBD port. A mismatch means the transmitter is working but the receiver is not.

In my case, the signal from the wheel was being transmitted correctly, even with the Hutchinson Rock Monsters, but the TPM was interpreting its location wrong. When the TPM was replaced, it worked correctly.

This ability of the TPM to discern where the signal is coming from is what allows you to rotate the tires and use your spare and still get the correct reading on your dashboard. When you do rotate or swap wheels, it only takes about a mile of driving to reset.

Another word of caution though, there have been instances where other signal emitting devices are found to interfere with the TPM. If you get incorrect signals from your system, first try disconnecting the potential conflicts. I have a Garmin backup camera that wirelessly connects to the navigation. It was not causing a problem. I understand that certain USB devices will cause a malfunction.

I hope this helps.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My problem with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is resolved. The dealer replaced a faulty tire pressure monitor (TPM).

Here is how the TPMS works on modern JK's with the "connectivity package":

Each valve stem has a pressure monitor and an RF transmitter. It transmits that tire's pressure and an ID number. The signal that the RF transmitter emits is read by the tire pressure monitor (TPM) while the vehicle is in motion. The TPM discerns where the signal is coming from (right front, left rear, etc). It is located centrally under the vehicle.

That transmitted ID number can also be read and recorded at each wheel by a TPS tool the dealer has and verified thru the OBD port. A mismatch means the transmitter is working but the receiver is not.

In my case, the signal from the wheel was being transmitted correctly, even with the Hutchinson Rock Monsters, but the TPM was interpreting its location wrong. When the TPM was replaced, it worked correctly.

This ability of the TPM to discern where the signal is coming from is what allows you to rotate the tires and use your spare and still get the correct reading on your dashboard. When you do rotate or swap wheels, it only takes about a mile of driving to reset.

Another word of caution though, there have been instances where other signal emitting devices are found to interfere with the TPM. If you get incorrect signals from your system, first try disconnecting the potential conflicts. I have a Garmin backup camera that wirelessly connects to the navigation. It was not causing a problem. I understand that certain USB devices will cause a malfunction.

I hope this helps.

Good information! Thanks.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Here's a new TPMS question: I have a 2010 & am about to buy rubicon wheels & tires from a 2016. I think I'd seen that there was a system change around 2012. Will the new sensors be compatible? I have a procal so I'm not concerned, just curious.

Sent from my duck blind.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I had a sensor go bad. Most shops quoted me $120 to replace it. I bought the procal for $170, disabled TPMS, and now I get to keep it. I just wanted to double check before I bought some new parts.

Sent from my duck blind.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
turn the damn thing off....its a jeep for Christ sake. (conveniently found option on procals etc etc)

zimm

Caught the Bug
Here's a new TPMS question: I have a 2010 & am about to buy rubicon wheels & tires from a 2016. I think I'd seen that there was a system change around 2012. Will the new sensors be compatible? I have a procal so I'm not concerned, just curious.

Sent from my duck blind.

Yes it will be a problem. I think the changeover was in 2013, but I could be wrong. Jeep went with the smarter TMPS sensors that work on a different freq than the 315Mhz in the 2012 and older wheels. I put my 2015 wheels on my dad's 2012 and we had to get new sensors for the TPMS to work. The newer ones report the actual PSI in each tire to the jeep and it can be displayed. The older ones just trigger the TPMS light when threshold is broken.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Yes it will be a problem. I think the changeover was in 2013, but I could be wrong. Jeep went with the smarter TMPS sensors that work on a different freq than the 315Mhz in the 2012 and older wheels. I put my 2015 wheels on my dad's 2012 and we had to get new sensors for the TPMS to work. The newer ones report the actual PSI in each tire to the jeep and it can be displayed. The older ones just trigger the TPMS light when threshold is broken.

Dang it. Oh well. I just bought this guys wheels & tires. I could have gotten a couple of bucks knocked off.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom