Trackbar/Sector Shaft Brace

R

RockyMtnAnvil

I recently install hydraulic assist steering on my rig after repeatedly jockeying the rig through Hal Johns this past summer (one of my new favorite trails by the way). So, this past weekend someone asked when I planned to add a trackbar/sector shaft brace, and well, it got me to thinking. :thinking:

It has long been my understanding that the assist actually reduces the stress placed on the drag link, steering box and sector shaft. However, a certain manufacturer states that their brace, "increases load capacity to accommodate large tires and hydraulic assist steering". Am I incorrect? I suppose that I can see where under the right circumstances the assist could place additional forces on the trackbar?

J

JKDream

I recently install hydraulic assist steering on my rig after repeatedly jockeying the rig through Hal Johns this past summer (one of my new favorite trails by the way). So, this past weekend someone asked when I planned to add a trackbar/sector shaft brace, and well, it got me to thinking. :thinking:

It has long been my understanding that the assist actually reduces the stress placed on the drag link, steering box and sector shaft. However, a certain manufacturer states that their brace, "increases load capacity to accommodate large tires and hydraulic assist steering". Am I incorrect? I suppose that I can see where under the right circumstances the assist could place additional forces on the trackbar?

Hydro does usually take a majority of the load off the sector shaft and spreads it throughout.
Sector shaft braces are not really needed in my opinion.
As for the trackbar, you're more likely to rip the mount off the axle or frame than breaking the bar itself.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of bolt on brackets for this reason.
If you have a pro-rock or a welded on bracket, I wouldn't worry about it. (no brace needed)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you run a ram assist, you do not need a sector shift brace and for your understanding of things. Guys who recommend them are either going off of old school knowledge or have just bought into what they've been sold.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Rottenbelly

After I added hydro assist I did add a weld on trackbar brace on the frame side. That's taking alot of force now to keep the axle centered if you are pushing off the side of the tires. I had a JKS trackbar it it would flex bad if I put the tires up against the curb and pushed off it.
Ended up swapping back to the stock one after a bracket upgrade.
I didn't add the sector shaft brace cause the hydro assist takes the strain off it.

Last edited:
R

RockyMtnAnvil

I am currently running the PR44 and had Dynatrac add the optional raised trackbar mount. The ram is welded to the face of that mount (as my grandpa would say, "solid as sears"). It sounds as though sector shaft brace is a waste (which is the direction I was leaning), but it also sounds that some recommend a weld-on frame-mount trackbar brace...

Thanks guys! :thumb: Y'all haven't steered me wrong yet (pun intended)!

Top Bottom