Rear Tire Carrier/ Bumper

Rubicon310

I've done some research on a few tire carrier/ rear bumpers for the jk and was wondering what the general opinion is in regards to this subject.

More specifically, what do you guys think of the cage style tire carriers that mount to the body vs the bumper with spindle that supports the tire carrier.

I personally like the look of the body mounted carriers such as the EVO, GenRight and the PSC but I'm a little concerned about the way they mount/ attach to the driver side. Some use a drop in pin, others use two small metal bumps that support the weight. Do they end up sagging when being opened? Maintenance required or constantly readjusting required?

The spindle mount bumper uses a spindle that looks extremely solid such as Crawler Conceptz and LOD.

Some require that you open the carrier then open the tailgate and others are a one piece open system.

The tire size that I will go with is a true 37.

Thoughts? Positive and negative as I will be pulling the trigger on something before the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A traditional bumper tire carrier that utilizes a spindle and transfers the weight of the spare onto the frame is a solid design and what I would recommend if you get in and out of the back of your Jeep a lot. Most like an LoD type design are extremely easy to open and close and if your spare catches a ledge coming off a big obstacle, you won't jack up your tailgate - something I have seen with tailgate only mounted solutions.

Where something like the EVO tire carrier is a better solution is when carrying a 37" tire or bigger and bombing through the desert. This design does a much better job of holding your spare in place and can also take the abuse of your spare catching big obstacles. The downside to this setup is that opening and closing it can be difficult for some and in the case of EVO, you need to have their rear body armor to install it. Of course, that's a big part of what makes it so strong.

JeepJeep75

I've done some research on a few tire carrier/ rear bumpers for the jk and was wondering what the general opinion is in regards to this subject.

More specifically, what do you guys think of the cage style tire carriers that mount to the body vs the bumper with spindle that supports the tire carrier.

I personally like the look of the body mounted carriers such as the EVO, GenRight and the PSC but I'm a little concerned about the way they mount/ attach to the driver side. Some use a drop in pin, others use two small metal bumps that support the weight. Do they end up sagging when being opened? Maintenance required or constantly readjusting required?

The spindle mount bumper uses a spindle that looks extremely solid such as Crawler Conceptz and LOD.

Some that you open the carrier than open the tailgate and others are a one piece open system.

The tire size that I will go with is a true 37.

Thoughts? Positive and negative as I will be pulling the trigger on something before the end of the week.

You are gonna get a whole array of different answers here on what everybody likes and dislikes. Myself, I went with the LOD sig series shorty with linked gate. I LOVE it!!! Zero rattles after almost a year and 10,000 miles of service. [emoji106] Opening the rear gate/carrier with one hand is the best part about my particular setup. I haven't really found any negative part of owning this bumper/carrier setup ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1481039406.776952.jpg

Rubicon310

A traditional bumper tire carrier that utilizes a spindle and transfers the weight of the spare onto the frame is a solid design and what I would recommend if you get in and out of the back of your Jeep a lot. Most like an LoD type design are extremely easy to open and close and if your spare catches a ledge coming off a big obstacle, you won't jack up your tailgate - something I have seen with tailgate only mounted solutions.

Where something like the EVO tire carrier is a better solution is when carrying a 37" tire or bigger and bombing through the desert. This design does a much better job of holding your spare in place and can also take the abuse of your spare catching big obstacles. The downside to this setup is that opening and closing it can be difficult for some and in the case of EVO, you need to have their rear body armor to install it. Of course, that's a big part of what makes it so strong.

Great information! I've never seen the EVO set up in person but it looks like it might become a pain if you constantly open the rear gate. That was my thought of on all of the cage style carriers, although some of the bumper mounted carriers also require a 2 step open system.

Yes, I won't be bombing through any deserts, not my cup of tea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great information! I've never seen the EVO set up in person but it looks like it might become a pain if you constantly open the rear gate. That was my thought of on all of the cage style carriers, although some of the bumper mounted carriers also require a 2 step open system.

Well, with that, I might recommend that you look into something like the LoD bumper shown above. If you prefer to go bumperless, I might recommend you give the AEV tire carrier a look as it still is mounted onto the frame. I personally would steer clear of tailgate only mounted setups if you plan on wheeling your Jeep.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

As Wayalife just mentioned I would suggest looking at the LoD bumper/carrier. They have a 1 handed opening feature which is really nice

Rubicon310

You are gonna get a whole array of different answers here on what everybody likes and dislikes. Myself, I went with the LOD sig series shorty with linked gate. I LOVE it!!! Zero rattles after almost a year and 10,000 miles of service. [emoji106] Opening the rear gate/carrier with one hand is the best part about my particular setup. I haven't really found any negative part of owning this bumper/carrier setup View attachment 233506

Nice looking rig!

That is exactly what I was hoping for, different opinions of likes and dislikes.

Thanks for your input, it seems the scale has tilted towards the spindle mount style bumper/ carrier.

Rubicon310

Well, with that, I might recommend that you look into something like the LoD bumper shown above. If you prefer to go bumperless, I might recommend you give the AEV tire carrier a look as it still is mounted onto the frame. I personally would steer clear of tailgate only mounted setups if you plan on wheeling your Jeep.

LOD recently released their new line. I really dig the rear with the attachment options!

It seems I will be going with a mid width bumper/ tire carrier. Now I need to decide on which company to purchase from.

WJCO

Meme King
LOD recently released their new line. I really dig the rear with the attachment options!

It seems I will be going with a mid width bumper/ tire carrier. Now I need to decide on which company to purchase from.

I'm pretty sure you can purchase directly through them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Although I run the EVO body mount tire carrier now, I have installed and tested a host of other bumper tire carriers in the past including LoD and I think you will like their setup.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm not running one, yet, but the most attractive rear bumper/carrier I've seen, is actually Poison Spyder. That being said, I'm probably going with LOD. The quality of their bumpers appears excellent.

Rubicon310

Chris from LoD just took my 1299.00

Ships in 3-4 weeks. :)

I got it bare steel with no attachments as of now. I'll be ordering the attachments later once I figure out exactly what I want on the carrier.

Thanks guy! Always good feedback here.

My only concern now is that I'm running a front Crawler Conceptz bumper. I hope it doesn't look too weird with two different manufacturers bumpers on my jk. They both seem to have very similar bends/ angles on the bumpers. Will see. If unhappy, I'll be selling my front bumper.

Last edited:

desertrunner

I got it bare steel with no attachments as of now. I'll be ordering the attachments later once I figure out exactly what I want on the carrier.

My only concern now is that I'm running a front Crawler Conceptz bumper. I hope it doesn't look too weird with two different manufacturers bumpers on my jk. They both seem to have very similar bends/ angles on the bumpers. Will see. If unhappy, I'll be selling my front bumper.

All the different attachments was what sold me on my last LOD rear bumper/carrier and now that i have a 2 door i will most likely be going with them again especially due to how easy you can mount so many different things to the back. It was a very stout bumper very well made and i had no issues with it and put it to the test in moab and CO it withstood plents of smacks to rocks with no problems. I had a 37, hi lift, cb antenna, and jerry can mounted to it, and it was still easy to open one handed. Im sure you will be happy with your purchase :thumb:

I also ran 2 different front bumpers from Poison spyder when i had the LOD rear and i dont think you will have any problems with the fact that they are 2 different brands (unless you have super OCD) it still looked great and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again

JeepJeep75

Sweet!!!!! Which one/style did you get?

Rubicon310

All the different attachments was what sold me on my last LOD rear bumper/carrier and now that i have a 2 door i will most likely be going with them again especially due to how easy you can mount so many different things to the back. It was a very stout bumper very well made and i had no issues with it and put it to the test in moab and CO it withstood plents of smacks to rocks with no problems. I had a 37, hi lift, cb antenna, and jerry can mounted to it, and it was still easy to open one handed. Im sure you will be happy with your purchase :thumb:

I also ran 2 different front bumpers from Poison spyder when i had the LOD rear and i dont think you will have any problems with the fact that they are 2 different brands (unless you have super OCD) it still looked great and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again

Thanks for your info!

Below are a comparison of the Crawler Conceptz vs the LoD (what I purchased)

IMG_1481050394.456905.jpg IMG_1481050416.892925.jpg

The front bumper is designed to match the CC, I hope the difference isn't a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

I love that LOD make a version for the CJs. Us guys with the old iron get left out a lot these days. I have the LOD site saved for a rear bumper with tire swing out.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Thanks for your info!

Below are a comparison of the Crawler Conceptz vs the LoD (what I purchased)

View attachment 233529 View attachment 233530

The front bumper is designed to match the CC, I hope the difference isn't a noticeable difference.

I think it will look fine, especially if you are painting it yourself. You can paint both to match colors, and I think the shapes are similar.

Say what you want about Poison Spyder, but I am very happy with my RockBrawler II setup. For my daily driver, I prefer having a real bumper and the single action opening.

20151213_115900.jpg
20151213_160121.jpg
20151213_171734.jpg
20151213_171722.jpg

I talked to a guy this weekend who runs the body mounted carrier, D-rings out the frame rail and Evo cover plate, and I just can't wrap my head around it...but to each their own!

Kiki-s

I run a 40" tire on my crawler conceptz body mounted tire carrier and I love being able to open it with the tailgate.

I have the Crawler Conceptz Body mounted tire carrier and couldn't be more happy. I haven't had any rattling or shaking. What sold me are the videos that Crawler Conceptz has on youtube of them testing it on trails and such.

Top Bottom