Asking for pointers with my CB cable

Hangemhigh1

Has anyone run into this issue? Yesterday I opened my tailgate and saw that my CB cable was almost severed in two. I ran it from the teraflex cb mount behind my spare through the tailgate along the plastic wiring cover on the inside of the tailgate and followed the wires into the rear of the jeep under the plastic cover on the passenger side the break happened in the very center where the wires fold when the tailgate closes. My thoughts were maybe the wire was a cheaply made wire, or that I did not run it correctly. Now I'm reaching out to more experienced jeepers to get some insight on how to avoid this problem with my next CB cable. Thank you in advance for your input. IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4675.jpg IMG_4678.jpg

GraniteCrystal

That's no good for sure. I ran mine in a similar manner but actually used a razor blade to open up that sleeve that holds the other wires. I put my coax in with those, then did a little handsewing to stitch it back together.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Hangemhigh1

That's no good for sure. I ran mine in a similar manner but actually used a razor blade to open up that sleeve that holds the other wires. I put my coax in with those, then did a little handsewing to stitch it back together.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404
I wanted to try that route but was concerned with not being able to see the cable if it broke again.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Has anyone run into this issue? Yesterday I opened my tailgate and saw that my CB cable was almost severed in two. I ran it from the teraflex cb mount behind my spare through the tailgate along the plastic wiring cover on the inside of the tailgate and followed the wires into the rear of the jeep under the plastic cover on the passenger side the break happened in the very center where the wires fold when the tailgate closes. My thoughts were maybe the wire was a cheaply made wire, or that I did not run it correctly. Now I'm reaching out to more experienced jeepers to get some insight on how to avoid this problem with my next CB cable. Thank you in advance for your input. View attachment 233556 View attachment 233557 View attachment 233558

interested in this also. Will be installing mine soon.

rogerk93

It can be that you have too much slack in your wire and when you close your tailgate it folds into the gap and gets pressed between the tub and tailgate. Happening often can cause it to cut like that

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Has anyone run into this issue? Yesterday I opened my tailgate and saw that my CB cable was almost severed in two. I ran it from the teraflex cb mount behind my spare through the tailgate along the plastic wiring cover on the inside of the tailgate and followed the wires into the rear of the jeep under the plastic cover on the passenger side the break happened in the very center where the wires fold when the tailgate closes. My thoughts were maybe the wire was a cheaply made wire, or that I did not run it correctly. Now I'm reaching out to more experienced jeepers to get some insight on how to avoid this problem with my next CB cable. Thank you in advance for your input. View attachment 233556 View attachment 233557 View attachment 233558

cheap wire maybe but it looks like it got caught in the door open lock hinge. leave the rear window open and shut the tailgate so you can look in and see where the wire actually hits.

USMC Wrangler

BobNH

Mine is mounted to the license plate bracket, so no issue with hinges.
Lots have stated they used the same mounting method with no issues, but no one has said what cable they used which would probably help you decide, and you asked about maybe being cheaply made wire, so I will say I used rg-8x which is supposed to be the best and most durable; research to make your own opinion, but here is one seemingly reliable site:
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18542023-complete-guide-to-cb-coax

Oh, I want to add, it wasn't that expensive vs rg-58.

Last edited:

Hangemhigh1

Thanks for your input everyone. By your answers It looks like it most likely too much slack and by those pictures, it looks like mine needs to be ziptied to the existing wires better so it doesn't have a chance to fold except for with the existing wires.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bootlover101

Oh wow, must of been a bad spot in the cable. Once replaced be sure to check your SWR. Very important that it be a 2.5 or less. I run a CB in my 12 Rubicon with a 5' tunable tip fire stick antenna mounted on my aftermarket spare tire carrier and have a 1.1 SWR. Not bad. I have a lot of experience in mounting CB's in Jeeps I'm happy to help eh.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bootlover101

Oh wow, must of been a bad spot in the cable. Once replaced be sure to check your SWR. Very important that it be a 2.5 or less. I run a CB in my 12 Rubicon with a 5' tunable tip fire stick antenna mounted on my aftermarket spare tire carrier and have a 1.1 SWR. Not bad. I have a lot of experience in mounting CB's in Jeeps I'm happy to help eh.

IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3809.jpg

Top Bottom