Engine Tick on 2014 JKUR

Bunz-o-fun

I know a few people have talked about these issues before, so here's my story.
Background: I had a 2012 JKUS that needed the cylinder head replaced. The symptoms were slightly different with the 12 - the tick wasn't as loud, the engine light came on, and I could get a code. (attached the invoice/work order for the 12
work order 2012.JPG

Fast Forward to today: I took my 2014 JKUR with 35k miles in yesterday to the dealership for a pretty noticeable engine tick. It's been going on for about 4 weeks. No codes, no engine light. I took it in for an oil change 3 weeks ago, and I asked one of the service reps about the noise. He said it's probably the fuel injectors. Since it never got better, I decided to schedule an appointment. Dropped it off yesterday at the dealership, and my service advisor said it could be a rocker arm. He also said he has seen a few of these.
I'll post an update once I get more news
Here's a video clip of the 14 tick. (hopefully it works)
https://youtu.be/LFa6Kv7iljg

Jeepnoub

If its like my jeep. It will never completely go away. I took mine in 4 time already. It is less noisy but still very apparent. They replaced all of my rocker and lifters. But they tell the noise is "normal". Best of luck.

Bunz-o-fun

If its like my jeep. It will never completely go away. I took mine in 4 time already. It is less noisy but still very apparent. They replaced all of my rocker and lifters. But they tell the noise is "normal". Best of luck.

"Normal"? That sucks. If it was anything like mine it certainly isn't normal. Sorry they couldn't completely fix the issue. Looking forward to hearing about your progress as the odometer turns. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

Wow! That's not right at all. My '15 rattles like all the oil is in the bottom of the motor upon startup (because it is....) but no ticking of any sort. Let us know what you find with it. Good luck!

desertrunner

After reading a bunch of posts about engine ticking on start I took a close listen to my 12' this morning when starting it and I definitely noticed an audible ticking for about 1 second right on initial start then went away. I wonder if there is some issue with it or if it's a dry start type ticking, might need to read up and investigate more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bunz-o-fun

That's loud, good luck. I have a slight tick on my 12 when it starts up.

I also have a slight tick upon start up. I have already had my cylinder head replaced. I'm hoping it's not going to need rocker arms and lifters replaced

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

After reading a bunch of posts about engine ticking on start I took a close listen to my 12' this morning when starting it and I definitely noticed an audible ticking for about 1 second right on initial start then went away. I wonder if there is some issue with it or if it's a dry start type ticking, might need to read up and investigate more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've heard the initial start up tick on another JK (can't remember the model year). Seem to remember others posting that it might be normal, but not 100%

Bunz-o-fun

Got the Jeep back from the dealership today. After two rockers and two lifters were replaced, it sounds and runs great. Luckily no cylinder head this time. Took them two full days for repairs. Apparently it was ready late last night but no one told my service rep.

Hopefully there are only a few of us "tick" owners.
IMG_9105.jpg

10abadilla/jk

Got the Jeep back from the dealership today. After two rockers and two lifters were replaced, it sounds and runs great. Luckily no cylinder head this time. Took them two full days for repairs. Apparently it was ready late last night but no one told my service rep.

Hopefully there are only a few of us "tick" owners.
View attachment 233732

Glad they got it fixed for you.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

My 14 JKU also has a tick eerily similar to yours. However...my ODO reads 105k so my extended warranty will have to cover this one...hopefully they will. Glad to hear your story turned out well. Thanks for posting. I think there are a lot of us that just assume its fine or normal or are hesitant to take it in because they don't know what to do.

Bunz-o-fun

My 14 JKU also has a tick eerily similar to yours. However...my ODO reads 105k so my extended warranty will have to cover this one...hopefully they will. Glad to hear your story turned out well. Thanks for posting. I think there are a lot of us that just assume its fine or normal or are hesitant to take it in because they don't know what to do.

Dang, that is some serious miles. Glad it's holding up. Yes, I think some of us just live with it and get use to it being normal.

JeepJeep75

Looks like I'm going to be taking mine into the dealership. My engine developed a very loud tick at all temperatures. Started right at about 34,000 miles. I use Mopar filters with Mobile1 oil. Now I even get a low-rpm cylinder knock when letting the clutch out in first gear. No CEL's yet.

dirtdonthurt

Thought I blew my engine on my 15 picking my daughter up last winter. Pulled over checked everything. Dealer towed and it was a noisy lifter. Performed oil change restarted and boom noise disappeared. I do hear what the op posted now that's it's getting colder but it goes right away. I hear these lifters aren't a big deal to swap out. And the extended Warrenty helps. Drive on

jagrubb99

Reviving a somewhat old thread. My 2015 started developing this tick about 1-2 months ago. I have right at 40k on the odo so I will be taking mine in to the dealer in the near future. It should be a pretty simple fix that I would do myself but since it is still within the powertrain warranty I figured why not take it in. I will be sure to report back with my experience.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom