AEV...pro's and con's

MeatHead

I have been wondering why AEV products have got such a negative response in some is the forums. So I figured I would ask the experts. What are your thoughts and opinions on this company's products?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been wondering why AEV products have got such a negative response in some is the forums. So I figured I would ask the experts. What are your thoughts and opinions on this company's products?

The AEV Heat Reduction Hood is awesome
The AEV ProCal is awesome
The AEV Snorkel is awesome
The AEV Jack Base is awesome
The AEV Front Bumper is by far the cleanest and nicest stamped steel bumper you can get
The AEV Rear Quarter Panel Armor is definetly one of the nicest you can buy and has the best factory fit
The AEV Rear Bumper is an odd match for the front bumper and while I don't get it, it's not bad
The AEV 2.5" lift is not bad and no worse than anything else in its class
The AEV 3.5" and 4.5" kits are way over priced for what little you really get

As you can see, the only grief you will see me give AEV is for the 3.5" and 4.5" lift kits they sell and not because it doesn't work, but rather, because all you're really paying for are a set of expensive dual rate coils and a bunch of relocation brackets that are even designed very well. I should note that this lift kit was actually designed by the now defunct company Nth Degree Mobility and why they choose to keep on selling it is beyond me. If you really want to go the drop bracket route, I would recommend a Rancho Sport kit instead as it's similar in design, made much better and costs a fraction of the price.

If there's something specific they make that you wanted a pro and con on, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to give you a more precise breakdown.

MeatHead

The reason I asked is I purchased my 09 Jk one year ago for a steal of a price. I have always wanted a jeep and use to trade my car for my friends and brothers tj's all the time on the weekends. My Jk came used with 38k miles on it with a 3.5" AEV lift, AEV wheels, snorkel kit, pro cal module, and 35" mud terrains. All for less than 28k out the door. I'm not to fond of buying used cars as I always feel like I'm buying a lemon. So far I can't ever see driving anything else again. But I needed to know the equipment on my jeep was solid. Now I'm thinking of swapping out the lift and motor in the future. Aka after it's paid off. Thanks for the info!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The reason I asked is I purchased my 09 Jk one year ago for a steal of a price. I have always wanted a jeep and use to trade my car for my friends and brothers tj's all the time on the weekends. My Jk came used with 38k miles on it with a 3.5" AEV lift, AEV wheels, snorkel kit, pro cal module, and 35" mud terrains. All for less than 28k out the door. I'm not to fond of buying used cars as I always feel like I'm buying a lemon. So far I can't ever see driving anything else again. But I needed to know the equipment on my jeep was solid. Now I'm thinking of swapping out the lift and motor in the future. Aka after it's paid off. Thanks for the info!

Aside from the lift kit you have being over priced (not really a concern of your being that it came on your Jeep), the other con to it is that the kit lowers your lower control arm mounting points making them vulnerable to the rocks. Also, being that the brackets are two separate pieces, they bend quite a bit when your axle is articulating and I would imagine this would eventually lead to a failure. Being that you live in Florida and probably don't see a whole lot of rocks or places where you can get big flex, none of this should be an issue for you. So, unless you have a need to get something better, what you have will probably serve you well.

flotto

The AEV Heat Reduction Hood is awesome
The AEV ProCal is awesome
The AEV Snorkel is awesome
The AEV Jack Base is awesome
The AEV Front Bumper is by far the cleanest and nicest stamped steel bumper you can get
The AEV Rear Quarter Panel Armor is definetly one of the nicest you can buy and has the best factory fit
The AEV Rear Bumper is an odd match for the front bumper and while I don't get it, it's not bad
The AEV 2.5" lift is not bad and no worse than anything else in its class
The AEV 3.5" and 4.5" kits are way over priced for what little you really get

As you can see, the only grief you will see me give AEV is for the 3.5" and 4.5" lift kits they sell and not because it doesn't work, but rather, because all you're really paying for are a set of expensive dual rate coils and a bunch of relocation brackets that are even designed very well. I should note that this lift kit was actually designed by the now defunct company Nth Degree Mobility and why they choose to keep on selling it is beyond me. If you really want to go the drop bracket route, I would recommend a Rancho Sport kit instead as it's similar in design, made much better and costs a fraction of the price.

If there's something specific they make that you wanted a pro and con on, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to give you a more precise breakdown.

I'm looking at a used 3.5" AEV kit with about 10,000 miles on it. I was wondering what your opinion on this kit vs a 2.5" Teraflex or RK would be. I wasn't considering the kit but I found it on Craigslist for 1/2 off the original price of the aev kit. I'm always hesitant to buy used things like this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at a used 3.5" AEV kit with about 10,000 miles on it. I was wondering what your opinion on this kit vs a 2.5" Teraflex or RK would be. I wasn't considering the kit but I found it on Craigslist for 1/2 off the original price of the aev kit. I'm always hesitant to buy used things like this.

I'm not a big fan of control arm drop brackets and not too thrilled about dual rate coils either. If you play on the rocks, you shouldn't be either. If you don't, what I can tell you is that you'll probably have a nicer ride with the AEV kit over a TF 2.5" kit or RK equivalent. Of course, I've never thought that the AEV 3.5" was even worth half it's cost to begin with and if I were going to spend that much, I would be getting a Rancho Sport kit instead. Similar design, with brackets that are built much better, with standard coils and available at a fraction of the price.

Mikes Offroad

I agree with Eddie for most of what he is saying. The main reason that I chose the 4.5" AEV was I had to sit back and really say how often am I going offroad. I came to realize that it was about 85% street and 15% offroad so ride and handling was very important to me. When I say handling I am talking about day to day driving on paved streets. The kit does great for me for the wheeling I do up here in the north (old mining roads). You can google AEV on the internet and see the videos where they are on a road course with the 3.5" lift and the thing handles amazingly. If I was living down by Eddie and wheeling with him I would most likely upgrade to one of the more rock friendly kits that are out there. The best thing to do is be honest about you are going to do with the Jeep and buy from that point on. Just my 2 cents worth (sorry my nickle worth as the Canadian mint stopped making pennies)

Markymark420

You can google AEV on the internet and see the videos where they are on a road course with the 3.5" lift and the thing handles amazingly.

No offense, but with the right driver and camera crew, any vehicle could be shown to handle beyond its normal spectrum of capabilities.

I was also, at one time, quite interested in the AEV 4.5" lift w/ Bilstein 5160s. But after a ****load of research online, I came to look at it a few ways:

AEV claims that the lift was designed by a former Jeep suspension engineer. Why would a lift design typically found on IFS (independent) equipped vehicles be utilized on a straight axle suspension? As Eddie has mentioned already, the kit is simply comprised of some bracketry and springs marketed @ the same pricepoint of a more involved lift.
Mopar currently offers/equips some AEV products to vehicles that they display on the showroom floor (most notably their heat reduction hood), but, for reasons that we can only speculate, the AEV lifts are not on that list of Mopar products.
On the other hand, one can argue that the lift that Mopar does offer (Rubicon Xpress???) is not the best option.

Don't get me wrong, the lift sounds like it would work for what you want out of it, but you could also get the same results for less. Or even better results for the same $.

The extra expense would be warranted if the R&D, support, and durability were represented by the product. From the sound of it; that is not the case.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In all fairness, the guys from AEV took us for a hell of a test ride and their drop brackets did a good job of correcting suspension and steering geometry. Driving hard and fast on pavement with reckless abandon, it did handle quite well BUT, not any better than any Jeep would with the proper corrections made to suspension and steering geometry. In the end, nothing AEV offers with their kit is unique or special and for the premium you pay for it, I personally feel that you'd be better served getting something else. But of course, that's just me.

Mikes Offroad

I will agree with your one statement that the kit works for me. As I stated you have to be honest with what you want from your kit. I researched for a while and when everything was layed out (for me) the AEV kit was the best one(for me). I have run Full traction, Rubicon Express, Rancho, Pro Comp and Skyjacker on the different Jeeps that I have owned (CJ, TJ, XJ's and Jeep Honcho). Full traction was great offroad but in my opinion not great on the street ( where I spend 85% of my time). As for your commment (The extra expense would be warranted if the R&D, support, and durability were represented by the product. From the sound of it; that is not the case) I would have to dissagree, support has been great for me and as for durability I have had the kit on for around 20000km and have had a total of 0 issues. I drove it to the JKX 2012 which for me was 11873km with no squeaks rattles or failures. That included completeing 7 days of JKX with no issues.

flotto

I'm not a big fan of control arm drop brackets and not too thrilled about dual rate coils either. If you play on the rocks, you shouldn't be either. If you don't, what I can tell you is that you'll probably have a nicer ride with the AEV kit over a TF 2.5" kit or RK equivalent. Of course, I've never thought that the AEV 3.5" was even worth half it's cost to begin with and if I were going to spend that much, I would be getting a Rancho Sport kit instead. Similar design, with brackets that are built much better, with standard coils and available at a fraction of the price.

I promised the wife that I'd try to keep the ride quality in the road at least as good as my stock jeep. if I just want to get to 35s to be a weekend warrior type, what kit would you suggest then. My jeep is my DD.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I promised the wife that I'd try to keep the ride quality in the road at least as good as my stock jeep. if I just want to get to 35s to be a weekend warrior type, what kit would you suggest then. My jeep is my DD.

If you can afford it, you can't beat the ride quality and handling that a good long arm kit like the kind EVO MFG makes will provide. Of course, coil overs will only make that ride even better but, I think you'll find that the plush ride coils that come with their Double D kit will do the job well and are far superior to any other traditional coil out there including stock. Being that you only want to get up on 35's, I think you would even find their Enforcer kit to be all that you need to keep your ride great while still being off road worthy.

If you're working on a budget, you might want to consider a coil spacer lift like what TF makes as that will retain all your factory components and keep your ride just like it is now. There are a lot of other options but, deciding on most of that will depend on your budget and how you use your Jeep.

I'm running the aev 3.5 on my jk take it from me for what's its worth DON'T DO it I hate it the only things that's halfway nice is the 5160 shocks I get the money later down the road it's gone!

Rock-itman

No offense, but with the right driver and camera crew, any vehicle could be shown to handle beyond its normal spectrum of capabilities.

I was also, at one time, quite interested in the AEV 4.5" lift w/ Bilstein 5160s. But after a ****load of research online, I came to look at it a few ways:

AEV claims that the lift was designed by a former Jeep suspension engineer. Why would a lift design typically found on IFS (independent) equipped vehicles be utilized on a straight axle suspension? As Eddie has mentioned already, the kit is simply comprised of some bracketry and springs marketed @ the same pricepoint of a more involved lift.
Mopar currently offers/equips some AEV products to vehicles that they display on the showroom floor (most notably their heat reduction hood), but, for reasons that we can only speculate, the AEV lifts are not on that list of Mopar products.
On the other hand, one can argue that the lift that Mopar does offer (Rubicon Xpress???) is not the best option.

Don't get me wrong, the lift sounds like it would work for what you want out of it, but you could also get the same results for less. Or even better results for the same $.

The extra expense would be warranted if the R&D, support, and durability were represented by the product. From the sound of it; that is not the case.

In all fairness to AEV , the MOPAR VERSION of the heat reduction hood is not what the venicles from the dealerships have . That is the power dome version of AEV's hood . No (HEAT REDUCTION ) (No vents) The cod mw3 is a diff hood ,than what you buy from AEV or now all the dealers that do SPECIFICALLY sell the AEV products . The same as the 10th anniv version (ALSO POWER DOME ) There is a big diff between the functionality . The 3.5" & 4.5" kit as explained does have geometry correction brackets and also a high steer kit , (WHICH they recently redesigned ) as eddie said due to the bending and possible failure . Much better design now . The bumpers are of highest quality from what ive seen and talked to numerous AEV and haters of AEV ,will still admit its Pure stamped process . I myself dont like the cans on the front of the premium bumper . So i chopped the cans off & welded RR D-rings . Now i may chop it to make it a mid & full width conversion type bumper . AEV has a forum also you can get info there , if you are a frequent road driven type guy . But this is def where you get better insight on the hard core rockin ESP> w/ the EVO kits . I am a total fan and will be taking my AEV lift off to go w/ the EVO for more stringent ,(agressive ) Driving . But i also have 2 other jeeps as DD . Goodluck w/ your decision . Great onfo on this thread .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...The 3.5" & 4.5" kit as explained does have geometry correction brackets and also a high steer kit , (WHICH they recently redesigned ) as eddie said due to the bending and possible failure . Much better design now...

It's funny, when AEV first came out with their original 3.5" and 4.5" kits, they included cheap cam bolts to address caster and whenever I chimed in about that, all the fanboys would come out of the woodwork, would tell me how I didn't know what I was talking about, would tell me how AEV has former Jeep engineers as if that should mean something and, accuse me of talking trash about them because they weren't a sponsor. Of course, I was right and the fanboys were wrong and AEV eventually swapped out the cam bolts in favor of drop brackets. Now, when I started to see how flimsy their drop brackets were and chimed in on that, I got the same barrage of fanboys accusing me of all the same things. If people want to be sold on the idea that AEV's lift kits are awesome, they should definitely go over to their forum as they'll hear exactly what they want to hear.

But this is def where you get better insight on the hard core rockin ESP> w/ the EVO kits .

I have almost 120,000 miles on my white JK, had 50,000 on my orange JK before selling it, put on about 10,000 miles on Vengeance before selling it and have over 20,000 miles on our current dozer JK. By the way, I work from home so pretty much all those miles were put on driving to the trail (some as far as the northeastern tip of Michigan), running them and then driving back home again. I can assure you, how my Jeeps handles and performs on pavement is just as important to me as how it does off road, if not more so. Having said that, I would hope that any information that I provide would be good insight regardless of what you're into.

TacPen

Banned
not too thrilled about dual rate coils either.

I'm still having a hard time with the nuances of springs for off-roading.

I've heard the argument that progressive rate coils aren't the way to go because: 1) with a heavier weight vehicle you're already into the stiffer portion of the coil and 2) the further up you are the stiffer it gets which may not be ideal as it stiffens up as it articulates / compresses.

Linear have issues because they may work find during most of the travel but then at full droop they tend to be limited (ie. no compression and may be prone to falling out). Plus you're going to cut into the spring travel with just static load differently depending on whether you have a heavier or lighter vehicle.

I know one company advises a helper rate dual coil which serves to try to make the best of both worlds (in theory), but then you're really left a spring which doesn't use it's full length as a portion is already fully compressed just due to the rate of the vehicle. It would seem that this may work better or worse depending on the weight of the vehicle itself (heavy vs. light).

Can anybody do a Cliff's Notes (use small words please, pictures, maybe sock puppets) to clear it up a bit for me?

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

Personally I think AEV is doing a heck of a job on their products. The only cons I can say they have is their lift kits. Too much money for a lift kit with mostly brackets. Plus some of their brackets actually lower ground clearance.

But on the other hand. I love all their other products. Their obviously doing something right if Jeep itself is partnering with them.

I know for me, my build is going to end up having lots of AEV products along with the EVO bolt on coilover kits:yup:

If you want a good lift or other great products. Check out EVOs website. I actually found a dealer here in CO that is linked with them and installs all their parts so you can keep your factory warrenty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard the argument that progressive rate coils aren't the way to go because: 1) with a heavier weight vehicle you're already into the stiffer portion of the coil...

2) the further up you are the stiffer it gets which may not be ideal as it stiffens up as it articulates / compresses.

...I know one company advises a helper rate dual coil which serves to try to make the best of both worlds (in theory), but then you're really left a spring which doesn't use it's full length as a portion is already fully compressed just due to the rate of the vehicle. It would seem that this may work better or worse depending on the weight of the vehicle itself (heavy vs. light).

First off, progressive and dual rate springs are pretty much the same thing. Once you're into the stiff part of the coil, it will also resist compression or what we call "stuff" when articulating just as much as it will resist a load.

Linear have issues because they may work find during most of the travel but then at full droop they tend to be limited (ie. no compression and may be prone to falling out). Plus you're going to cut into the spring travel with just static load differently depending on whether you have a heavier or lighter vehicle.

There is NOTHING limiting about a standard coil other than the fact that you are stuck with the one rate that it comes in. If the coil is falling out, you are running too long of a shock for your application.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I think AEV is doing a heck of a job on their products. The only cons I can say they have is their lift kits. Too much money for a lift kit with mostly brackets. Plus some of their brackets actually lower ground clearance.

But on the other hand. I love all their other products. Their obviously doing something right if Jeep itself is partnering with them.

I know for me, my build is going to end up having lots of AEV products along with the EVO bolt on coilover kits:yup:

If you want a good lift or other great products. Check out EVOs website. I actually found a dealer here in CO that is linked with them and installs all their parts so you can keep your factory warrenty.

And, if you saw my first post on this thread, I would concur that they do a heck of a job making good products. Their lift kits on the other hand were designed by the now defunct Nth Degree Mobility and I would argue, there is a reason why they are now defunct.

Top Bottom