Time to replace Front axle

desrt4x

I am going to change my front axle and still deciding between the Core 44 and the ProRock 44.
What are the opinions with doing Reid Knuckles vs staying with the stock knuckles?
Also in the future I will be doing Hydro assist steering.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Other than price, there is no comparison between the ProRock 44 and the G2 axle. If you're even considering a ProRock, that's what I would recommend you get. As far as orange knuckles go, it'll only move your tie rod up about an inch and I can guarantee you that you will STILL HIT IT. Rather than waste your money on them, I would recommend that you use that money and invest it in a good heavy duty tie rod. If you're bent on getting colored knuckles, I might recommend that you get the red ones made by Rancho instead. If nothing else, they are supporters of this forum.

WJCO

Meme King
I am going to change my front axle and still deciding between the Core 44 and the ProRock 44.
What are the opinions with doing Reid Knuckles vs staying with the stock knuckles?
Also in the future I will be doing Hydro assist steering.

Hands down ProRock44. Stronger parts, thicker tubes, more ground clearance at pumpkin, inspected over 100 times during the build. Custom order anything you like with the ProRock when you talk to an actual human at Dyntrac that will answer your questions. Their FAQ page on the ProRock has tons of info. Also I know for certain ProRock axles are built here in the USA.

Reid knuckles vs stock- $$ savings by retaining stock. But you will have to do the DL flip yourself. Rancho knuckles are about the same in design and a little cheaper than Reid. Both Reid and Rancho knuckles do move the tie rod up about an inch.

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04378.JPG

EDIT: Eddie beat me to it. I thought the PR Unlimited housing had thicker tubes than the G2.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
ProRock. Period.
Take it from someone that bought them: save the dough on the Reids or paint yours orange. No one will know. Also go with the Dynatrac branded axles with full circle clips and nix the RCV's. Save a few more bucks there.

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also go with the Dynatrac branded axles with full circle clips and nix the RCV's. Save a few more bucks there.

Agreed on nixing the RCV's. Totally NOT worth the $400 premium especially when shafts with full circle clips will get the job done just as well and for a lot less. Better to use the money you save and forward it toward HD ball joints like ProSteers.

mpjku

I went "junk yard" build with a $500 Craigslist axle. With new gears, lockers, truss and so on I probably have as much in it as the prorock. But I learned a lot building it myself.
IMG_0116.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sullivan

I prefer the upgraded knuckles. They are pretty inexpensive considering the amount that will be spent on the axle. Plus the knuckle can be a weak point. Especially after doing drag link flip. Just had one snap in Moab on us.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I prefer the upgraded knuckles. They are pretty inexpensive considering the amount that will be spent on the axle.

That was my thought. Plus going from a WJ, I had no knuckles at all to begin with so I had to get something. Dynatrac was already building it, so why not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer the upgraded knuckles. They are pretty inexpensive considering the amount that will be spent on the axle. Plus the knuckle can be a weak point. Especially after doing drag link flip. Just had one snap in Moab on us.

I guess we all have our own idea of what "pretty inexpensive" is. At close to $600, there are a lot of good heavy duty tie rods you can get and again, that inch of clearance isn't going to keep your factory tie rod from getting hit. As far factory knuckles go, I'm clearly far from being badass enough to snap one. But, so that it isn't missed, if it helps you to sleep better at night having orange knuckles, that's all that matters. :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
A lot of good info guys that helps alot. I thought that G2 was made in the US

It may be, I've heard claims, but on their actual website, I haven't seen it. Seems to me companies that build right here in the USA usually proudly advertise it. Again, not saying that they aren't, I just don't remember seeing it.

Top Bottom