Screeching!

Jimmypaget

Walked out of O'reilly auto parts today and went to start the jeep up and then it started screeching at me! Like what the hell?!? Nothing new done to it except rock lights a few weeks ago...any ideas? I don't know how to post the video I took of the sound. It also goes higher pitch when I give it gas. Need help!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Walked out of O'reilly auto parts today and went to start the jeep up and then it started screeching at me! Like what the hell?!? Nothing new done to it except rock lights a few weeks ago...any ideas? I don't know how to post the video I took of the sound. It also goes higher pitch when I give it gas. Need help!!

Turn on and off AC, while it's doing it, see if that changes anything. Sounds like one of your pulleys might be seizing up. Check around those areas for smoke and burning smells.

Kalums

Or the serpentine belt maybe too worn /loose, ide try the belt first and while it's off manually turn the pullies to see if they freely spin or bind at all. I know from my personal experience it's usually been a combo of bad tensioner pulley and worn serpentine. Either way cheap and easy fix(s)

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edited because I can't spell

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely, you have an idler pulley with the bearings going bad or a water pump going bad. Sucks too because replacing it takes a lot more work on a 3.6L.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah? Damn. Shitty thing is it was fine when I parked it. Came back out to leave and screeching commence! Ahh fml

If it's your water pump, it could have been going out for a while now and just now let you know with the screech. The water pump on my 2012 went out in under 10,000 miles. The new one was that got covered under warranty has been pretty good since.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn. Good to know! Feels like a belt or pulley to me. But we'll see. Thanks for the help!

Doubt it's the belt being that the auto tensioner on the 3.6L is crazy strong. In fact, getting your belt back on can be a challenge without the help of a breaker bar. Your water pump has a pulley on it and when it goes bad, it'll screech like you are hearing. At least, mine did.

Jimmypaget

Yeah I am aware of that strength of the tensioner and the breaker bar use. Seems like it's a tight squeeze to get any tools in that compartment though. I'll see what I can do!

bthomas

Water pump on my 12 went at around 80k miles, it would faintly squeak some at times when the engine had been up to temp for awhile, be fine when cold, then one day, I got what your describing, a loud constant squeal. I thought for sure it was going to be a tensioner or idler pulley, but nope.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

Hold a long flat head to each of the pulley bolts and listen to for a whine while the Jeep is running. That will isolate if it's a pulley vs waterpump.

Non-redneck buy a "mechanics stethoscope" in place of a long screwdriver - $4 at your local tools-by-the-lb.

The pulleys are so easy to replace if you're taking a belt off I'd replace them if you haven't yet. $15 each.

Edit: if you replace the serpentine belt, I'd suggest a gatorback. I bought a gates belt and it sucked. I was chasing a squeal for weeks until I just buckled down and bought the gatorback. It was cheaper too.

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

Well walked out to head home last night and No more screeching! I was hoping it would go away. If it comes back I will for sure address it! Thanks for the suggestions and assistance guys! Best forum around!

Top Bottom