EVO Sliders w/out Evo Rocker Skins?

JAGS

Hooked
Just curious if there are very many out there running this way. Rocker skins are to help against rail bump/push ups, I get that armor aspect. But the EVO sliders, unlike others such as PS, ACE, SMitty, have never been mentioned as bending/flexing into rocker panels as they are weld in and seem to be bomb proof.

So are there reasons other than looks to add the evo skins with the evo sliders? Anybody running with just sliders to chime in or with pics. Or those running both to share when/if evo sliders weren't enough?

I realize I'd need to install rock skins first/at same time, which is why I'm asking as I'm getting ready to pull trigger on sliders next month and cant decide on skins yet. :thinking::crazyeyes:

Thanks, Jason

GCM 2

Just curious if there are very many out there running this way. Rocker skins are to help against rail bump/push ups, I get that armor aspect. But the EVO sliders, unlike others such as PS, ACE, SMitty, have never been mentioned as bending/flexing into rocker panels as they are weld in and seem to be bomb proof.

So are there reasons other than looks to add the evo skins with the evo sliders? Anybody running with just sliders to chime in or with pics. Or those running both to share when/if evo sliders weren't enough?

I realize I'd need to install rock skins first/at same time, which is why I'm asking as I'm getting ready to pull trigger on sliders next month and cant decide on skins yet. :thinking::crazyeyes:

Thanks, Jason

You know over on JK Forum I remember seeing a one or two photos of a couple of JK's posted without them throughout the years, but I don't think I could find them. The skins can actually be put on later after the sliders if needed. I have seen it done to a jeep when I was picking up mine at the shop, they actually just remove the body mount bolts on one side at a time, jack the body up and get about two or three inches of extra room to drill the nutserts hole and then insert the skins, drop the body back down and you're done.

The benefit of having the skins is to prevent your sills getting beat up. Not beat up from the sliders, because as you saw in my "flop" thread, those sliders are actually part of the frame. However, EVO sliders have lots of open space between the end gussets and the uprights that support the upper and lower longitudinal slider bars, there is plenty enough room for small rocks, sticks or other debris to cause minor damage to the sill beneath the door.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a pic of Moochie's JK with the EVO sliders (no skins)...

main.php

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yep, gregor, got a good view from all angles on your spill. Did you know I was going to ask this question.:cheesy::crazyeyes: Thanks for the pic Cindy....of course you'd have an angle on that.:clap2:

My wife doesn't care for the rock skins too much but she really likes the evo tire carrier and corner skins. Wish those were an even trade.

Keep the thoughts/pic/reasons coming if you have more to add. I'm still 50/50. May just need to flip a coin.

GCM 2

How about this for an option; If you really like the protection aspect of the skins, but maybe the odd look of a black piece of armor is not appealing to you or the wife......for a little extra coin you can have the rock skins color matched painted or even powder coated. They do initially come from EVO in their smooth, raw natural steel state ;)

JAGS

Hooked
How about this for an option; If you really like the protection aspect of the skins, but maybe the odd look of a black piece of armor is not appealing to you or the wife......for a little extra coin you can have the rock skins color matched painted or even powder coated. They do initially come from EVO in their smooth, raw natural steel state ;)

Never thought of that. I actually like the black if I'm going to get em.

Guess it comes down to preference and whether the "protection" factor is worth the extra $300 or so?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I was going to run sliders without the skins and then decided if I ever change my mind it would be a complete pain in the ass to install them afterwards. If you think you'll want them, get them, install them first and be done with it. In the big picture of your build it isn't much money. 👍

Krieger

I have the EVO sliders without the skins and it
seems fine I don't have too many small rocks flying up and and if one does it usually hits the rock slider.

Attachments

• image-501246603.jpg
    image-501246603.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 239

bob-o12jk

Banned
Heres a pic of my buddy's jeep with only the Evo sliders on JackHammer

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rusty

I can say from experience of having done it, that installing the skins once the sliders are on isn't a problem. I didn't remove my LOD sliders for the install and in no way did they get in the way. :rock:

Hightower

I was going to run sliders without the skins and then decided if I ever change my mind it would be a complete pain in the ass to install them afterwards. If you think you'll want them, get them, install them first and be done with it. In the big picture of your build it isn't much money. 👍

I agree if you can afford it do them both it will probably save you a few $$$ in the long run. Good luck sweet rig

JAGS

Hooked
So was all stoked and ready to get the ball rolling. :eek::shock: How did you address the install of these. I've read a number of thread on the skins...PITA and get a good nutsert or 2 or 3. But what about sliders? Install alternatives?

Nearly equal install as to the cost of the skins/sliders themselves??? :thinking: If you don't want to share here, PM me any options I may have.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So was all stoked and ready to get the ball rolling. :eek::shock: How did you address the install of these. I've read a number of thread on the skins...PITA and get a good nutsert or 2 or 3. But what about sliders? Install alternatives?

Nearly equal install as to the cost of the skins/sliders themselves??? :thinking: If you don't want to share here, PM me any options I may have.

I assume you are talking about shop rates for welding.

Not many alternatives if you don't weld. Pay a shop or find a buddy who can weld and bribe with beer and honey.

Short of that, you'll have to get bolt on ones.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I can't speak for welders anywhere else but most of the shops I do business with here charge $50-$80/hr for prep and welding.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Top Bottom