BF Goodrich KO2 v Nitto Ridge Grappler

NBarton

It's been a while since I posted anything, so hello again! It looks like I am soon to start a few minor mods on my JKU. When the first round is finished over the next few months, I'll end up with a 3" EVO Enforcer lift (no shocks selected yet, trying to justify the Kings) Adams or Reel D/S and 35's on Method NV wheels (probably....I think....maybe). My Jeep is my DD and family trip mobile so I'll be going with AT tires. Has anyone had an opportunity to make a direct comparison of BF Goodrich KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm interested in both on and off road performance, noise, wet road performance. Snow and ice are only very minor considerations. Sorry for the long path to a short question.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
It's been a while since I posted anything, so hello again! It looks like I am soon to start a few minor mods on my JKU. When the first round is finished over the next few months, I'll end up with a 3" EVO Enforcer lift (no shocks selected yet, trying to justify the Kings) Adams or Reel D/S and 35's on Method NV wheels (probably....I think....maybe). My Jeep is my DD and family trip mobile so I'll be going with AT tires. Has anyone had an opportunity to make a direct comparison of BF Goodrich KO2s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I'm interested in both on and off road performance, noise, wet road performance. Snow and ice are only very minor considerations. Sorry for the long path to a short question.

No experience with Nittos, but tons of experience with the KO2s. Those tires are awesome. I've owned many sets. If you rotate them, they wear very well. I got about 40k out of each set.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
No experience with Nittos, but tons of experience with the KO2s. Those tires are awesome. I've owned many sets. If you rotate them, they wear very well. I got about 40k out of each set.

I 2nd this. No experience with the Nittos but have had several sets of the original BFG ATs. Love them and wouldn't hesitate to run a set of the KO2s. I like the looks of the Ridge Grapplers also though and based on my experience of the Trail Grapplers I'd be willing to bet the Ridge Grapplers would be a good choice as well.

UtahJK

I haven't had ko2s but I have the ridge grapplers on my Cummins. Only about 5000 miles on them so far, but I really like them. They are virtually silent on the road. They do really well in the snow. Haven't had them off road much as they're on my pickup, but I took them hunting and they saw some mud and did fine there. I've heard great things about the ko2s and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

trailraider

Nitto's are a good tire.Issue I have with them is the limited availability. if you puncture one , it could be a issue finding a replacement. KO2's everyone and their dog sell them. so you can get faster and anywhere really. Toyo runs them second line production, so they aren't always producing them.

Last edited:

BigBoy

I've been contemplating this same dilemma for months, though with considerations of the Cooper ST Maxx as well. The ridge grapplers are my first choice for looks, but something tells me the other 2 will perform better ever so slightly. I had the old BFG's on an old truck and wasn't too impressed, but they were used and toward the end of life so not really a fair chance. Definitely looking forward to more input in this.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I never really like the look of the KO2s but I drove a G wagen tray back with the KO2s yesterday and they were great both on road and off. I did some mud, rocks and sand and they just gripped.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have 37" Ridge Grapplers and have had them on for 2000 miles. I haven't been off-road yet but they're a great DD tire. I drive 30 miles on the interstate everyday and cruise around 65-85mph. No problems at all. I've been up to 95, stupid I know, still the tires were great.

We just now had some decent rain and they didn't slip at all. The stock KMs had me slipping all the time from a start going slightly uphill. I think it probably has more to do with the weight, gearing, and width. Still, I feel planted on really wet pavement.

Noise level in the city is on par with the stock KMs. On the highway, I can't hear them but that's probably because of the wind noise...

Overall, it's a great DD tire. It does well at the mall and speed bumps are no problem!

BTW, I run them at 29psi cold.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked

I've run KO and now the 37 KO2 and am really happy with them.

as mentioned, do a 5 tire rotation and you'll get good mileage out of them.

they've done great in the rain and snow.

If you plan to run a 315 or taller tire I recommend you add a drag link flip to your lift budget, the texas standing water will grab a bigger tire and that'll be the last time your family will ride with you!

well maybe not that bad but I can tell you from my own experience, after adding the drag link flip I'm not fighting the pull from standing water like in the past.

Chris1015

Hopefully this is helpful, but Wes from Trail Jeeps told me the Nitto's will perform well as DD and snow. No experience with them yet. The noise is expected to be minimal. Hope this helps some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Hopefully this is helpful, but Wes from Trail Jeeps told me the Nitto's will perform well as DD and snow. No experience with them yet. The noise is expected to be minimal. Hope this helps some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
He has them in 37s on his rig. I'll be curious to see what he thinks after this winter.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

NBarton

I've run KO and now the 37 KO2 and am really happy with them.

as mentioned, do a 5 tire rotation and you'll get good mileage out of them.

they've done great in the rain and snow.

If you plan to run a 315 or taller tire I recommend you add a drag link flip to your lift budget, the texas standing water will grab a bigger tire and that'll be the last time your family will ride with you!

well maybe not that bad but I can tell you from my own experience, after adding the drag link flip I'm not fighting the pull from standing water like in the past.

A drag link flip is definitely part of the plan and now I have another reason for it! Thanks.

NBarton

It reads like neither tire is a poor choice. I prefer the looks of the Nitto but economics lean toward the BFG's. Thanks for the input. I'll post when things get rolling.

ScoobyCarolanNC

My tire guy says his buddy is running KO2s and loves em. Aren't they stock on the rubicon & the ford raptor too? That's the route I'm going.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom