2014 unlimited no 4 hi

ram190

Snow today, went to put in 4 hi and shifter refused to move back? Never been a problem in the past, tried multible times while moving slowly, neutral, etc. Would not budge, anyone ran into this before? Used 4H and 4L in July with no issues.

Update: Thanks for the input below. At work tried to get it into 4H again and it finally moved with some force. Now it seems to not quite shift all the way out of 4H back to 2WD- too easy to move it back to 4H and get a clunk noise when hitting a bump like it's not all the way in 2WD. Also tried to put it in 4L with no success, seems to just not quite want to go in all the way- again not a problem before. Last time in 4WD (H an Lo) was in July with no issues.

I have never had to apply that much pressure to get to go into 4H and from what I understand applying too much pressure, 4L especially, can break the linkage attachment point and your just left with a shifter that moves freely and does nothing. I guy I know did just that and we had to crawl under and manually shift it back into 2WD. Before just took 2 fingers to get back into 4L while moving.

Last edited:
Were you completely stopped and had not moved the car yet? Sometimes going very slowly (e.g. 1-2 mph) and then trying to shift it into 4hi will work. I know mine can be very stubborn if I haven't moved it in a while and try to put it in 4Hi right away.

ram190

Thanks for the input. At work tried to get it into 4H again and it finally moved with some force. Now it seems to not quite shift all the way out of 4H back to 2WD- too easy to move it back to 4H and get a clunk noise when hitting a bump like it's not all the way in 2WD. Also tried to put it in 4L with no success, seems to just not quite want to go in all the way- again not a problem before. Last time in 4WD (H an Lo) was in July with no issues.

I have never had to apply that much pressure to get to go into 4H and from what I understand applying too much pressure, 4L especially, can break the linkage attachment point and your just left with a shifter that moves freely and does nothing. I guy I know did just that and we had to crawl under and manually shift it back into 2WD. Before just took 2 fingers to get back into 4L while moving.

Last edited:

Weeds

Crawl underneath and shift the transfer case by hand. I should move easily. Look at the plastic bushing. I broke one 6 years ago and have not broken another.

Top Bottom