Time for a programmer.. which one?!

Napalm

So, as expected my JKU with 3.21s drives like poop after the install of heavy 35s, bumpers, and whatnot.

I absolutely cannot afford a regear anytime soon. It's not happening, not anytime in the near future. I would like to get a programmer to get the shift points and speedo right.

Curious if I should get something like a Superchips FlashCal or AEV ProCal, or go ahead and get something like a Flashpaq with some performance tunes to get just something back.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

ak49

I had the bully dog for 2 years. It worked great for the first year then always had connection problems and constantly required updates. Bought the aev 2 months ago. Too soon for me to comment but no issues so far. I would stay away from the bully dog

Last edited:

Kyle7R

So, as expected my JKU with 3.21s drives like poop after the install of heavy 35s, bumpers, and whatnot.

I absolutely cannot afford a regear anytime soon. It's not happening, not anytime in the near future. I would like to get a programmer to get the shift points and speedo right.

Curious if I should get something like a Superchips FlashCal or AEV ProCal, or go ahead and get something like a Flashpaq with some performance tunes to get just something back.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks :)

I don't have any input here, but I like where this is going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lank

The procal has the added bonus of helping you center the steering wheel and already comes with the tire pressure adjustment on the device.

The flashcal (what I went with) can read codes out but needed a free update to do tire pressure. The thing that sold me is you can upgrade a flashcal to a flashpaq at a later date for a reduced price in case you ever decide you want to do any tuning.

Unfortunately, It's going to be a dog with 35s and 3:21s regardless. I don't know how I put up with it for 6mo :crazyeyes:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
AEV Procal is the least expensive from what I've seen and once you get used to the little switches it's fairly simple to use.

jkwebbie

I got the Superchips FlashCal off a guy for $80 used. No complaints with it at all. Plus I like the idea of being able to upgrade it later on to the Flashpaq if I want some more power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I'm leaning towards the FlashCal just due to the added ability to add on the flashpaq features. I don't like that the ProCal doesn't have a screen.

EDIT : just read the flashpaq/FlashCals require an ECM swap. Superchips provides the ECM, but has anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited:

kbp810

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys for all the input. I think I'm leaning towards the FlashCal just due to the added ability to add on the flashpaq features. I don't like that the ProCal doesn't have a screen.

EDIT : just read the flashpaq/FlashCals require an ECM swap. Superchips provides the ECM, but has anyone had any experience with this?

Just my opinion... but I'd just stick with the procal to get your speedo and what not corrected; then put the rest away to save for that re-gear. Anything beyond that is not going to be enough to compensate for your lack of gear.

Once the butt dyno placebo effect wears off, you'll realize your jeep still drives like poop.

Rottenbelly

The procal isn't going to do anything for you shift points.
It will correct the speedo.
With a 2016 no programmer works yet without the ecm swap as far as I know..

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have the Super. You can upgrade for about $135. It is nice to update via laptop with it as well. The one thing I have noticed it appears to have given me a wrong code. I had taken it in to a shop that has a very expensive code reader and it read something else. I am happy with it otherwise.

KJV

I use the Superchips FlashPaq. Allows you to tune for performance, adjust for tire size, gear ratio, trans shift points, t case ratio, TPMS settings, etc... I've used it for over 3 yrs now without a single problem. Does not require a different PCM, not sure where you heard that. Saves all stock settings to return your Jeep back to stock if needed. Not sure if any tuner is going to overcome 3.21's though. I had 3.73's factory and it was a dog with stock tires...can't imagine your situation.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I use the Superchips FlashPaq. Allows you to tune for performance, adjust for tire size, gear ratio, trans shift points, t case ratio, TPMS settings, etc... I've used it for over 3 yrs now without a single problem. Does not require a different PCM, not sure where you heard that. Saves all stock settings to return your Jeep back to stock if needed. Not sure if any tuner is going to overcome 3.21's though. I had 3.73's factory and it was a dog with stock tires...can't imagine your situation.

The '15s and up are still on lock down; the current workaround is to replace the PCM with one from a '14 or earlier.

SPOOOBY

If you have a 2015 will need PCM swap only 2014 and under do not

Napalm

No issues at all and no ECM swap required. It's my understanding that the swap is only required if I upgrade to the Flashpaq to enable a performance enhancer program. The FlashCal is just for the basics

Cool. After reading inputs and doing research, I'm gonna go with the FlashCal. It's only $10-$20 dollars more than the ProCal and I really like that it has a screen.

Top Bottom