Trail dash 2 and back up camera

zaqs_dad

Traildash 2 with backup camera

I installed a backup camera to my traildash 2 and I have a few observations. I bought a rear camera from amazon during their cyber Monday promo. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WC8MSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. When installed and powered by the rear reverse lights it will only show only the TD2 if I start up the jeep and put in reverse before the TD2 has finished booting up. It won't switch to camera mode after leaving it in park while warming up. This sucks because I was hoping to work after a remote start. Also, I need to keep the jeep in reverse for 10-30 seconds while it boots up. For as many times I climb in and out of my jeep daily it becomes really annoying.

So, when powered by rear brake lights....

A. start vehicle->Leave in park->TD2 boots up-> no camera

B. Start vehicle->put in reverse while foot is on brake-> TD2 boots up-> camera works as it should throughout the duration of the trip.

2. Today I decided I have had enough. I rewired the power to the always on accessory circuit. I received slightly different results. It performed the same as above except for the keeping it reverse while booting up. This time the TD2 rear camera immediately showed me what's behind me then to the booting up screen (detecting Chrysler blah blah blah stuff), and when it finished the camera worked again.

I haven't updated the TD2 since I've owned it. If I have time tomorrow I'll put the jeep back to factory and attempt to find an update.

Hope this was informative.

Zaqsdad

zaqs_dad

I found out why this morning. I thought I wired it to an accessory circuit by splicing into a couple of wires but it was something else (too ashamed to tell you more).

I finally spliced into my accessory cigarette lighter ( I have an '08 jku) via my cb radio wire I installed a couple years ago. The black I grounded to the body. It works!

The TD2 seems to need power at the start. Now Everytime I put it in reverse the screen switches to the rear camera.

It was more wiring than I planned on because there's no wire in the rear area that's hot in the back of the Jeep without turning lights on or holding the brake down, etc.

There may be a wire you can access via the subwoofer but I'd definitely research that before trying. I don't have a sub.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Casey_250

I had the same problem with my camera. It now runs on accessory power so the camera is always powered. Trail Dash told me that if the camera is not powered when the TD2 turns on it will think there isn't a camera there and not access it. On the bright side, now can flip to rear view on the TD2 anytime. However I think I may just wire the backup camera to a stand alone LCD and mount it over my rear view mirror so I can actually see out the back.

As for camera, I just purchased a generic one off amazon with a RCA connector on it and a long cable.

MericaMade

I had the same problem with my camera. It now runs on accessory power so the camera is always powered. Trail Dash told me that if the camera is not powered when the TD2 turns on it will think there isn't a camera there and not access it. On the bright side, now can flip to rear view on the TD2 anytime. However I think I may just wire the backup camera to a stand alone LCD and mount it over my rear view mirror so I can actually see out the back.

As for camera, I just purchased a generic one off amazon with a RCA connector on it and a long cable.
I know this is an old post but you guys are talking about a topic that I have questions about, henceforth I use the search feature.

Casey how are you able to switch between the two cameras with the traildash? I do not see any options in mine to do so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom