Trade in 2012 for new?

10abadilla/jk

So I have been debating on trading in my 2012 jk sport with 47,000 miles on it. I have thought about trading it in for a 4 door. But what holds me back is all the time and money I have invested in it, And to start new from bone stock would suck for many reasons, like limiting the wheeling I do, having to upgrade everything once again. I am really close to almost "finishing" up my build. All that's really left is winch, regear, Drive shafts, and front axle. Once my reinforced d30 goes out that is. Everything else would be upgraded as it breaks. Control arms, axle shafts, etc. So I was just wondering what your opinions may be. I have yet to go look at the dealer. So I don't have a specific jk in mind. Would love the input you all have and Thank you in advance. 20161210_133340.jpg 20161125_180637.jpg 20161119_155806.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Take this from someone that has started over 4 times in the last 2 years. Its not fun. The only reason that makes it acceptable in my eyes is to upgrade to a 4 door.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
If you're thinking about going to a 4 door I would say go for it. Your Jeep isn't too heavily modified to where your going to take a huge bath. There are a lot of Unlimited Jeeps around for sale with similar mods for sale. I bet you can find one to meet your needs so you can stay on the trails you love and continue your addiction. No one in a Jeep has ever said, damn I wish I had less room.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
I agree with greg... i traded in my sport for a rubicon and i just happened to luck out on how fast i upgraded... If you are trading in a 12 sport for a 16/17 sport i would say its not worth it and save the money to complete your current set up.

WJCO

Meme King
You also may be able to find one used that has some light mods on it already. Just look it over to see how much offroad use it's had.

benatc1

Hooked
I did something very similar to this not to long ago, moved from a 2012 2 door with alot of upgrades to a new 4 door rubi. To be honest im very happy with my choice, but there are a few things to consider. basically if your going to trade you want as least aftermarket stuff on there as possible because you wont get much if anything for all of it, you'll essentially get blue book for the jeep. Now i was fortunate enough to buy my new 4 door and keep my 2 door for a few months while i got everything i wanted swapped over- prorock, suspension, ect.. so i was able to come out of it with a pretty capable 4 door. I found a way to make it work financially for a few months so that I would not lose all of my parts but also not have to but a bunch of stock parts to get y 2 door back to baseline. was a lot of work but once I sold the 2 door it was all worth it. Ill be truly taking my 4 door wheeling for the first time this weekend and im excited to see how it does. so my suggestion would be if you want to move up stop upgrading your 2 door unless its with things that can transfer directly over to a 4 door and maybe get your ducks in a row to see what you can snag off the 2 door but still make it trade-able.

J

JKDream

Did you keep any of your stock parts?
You could always put them back on and swap the aftermarket parts to the new jeep.
That's what I plan to do. The parts you listed as "left to do" are going to make up a substantial amount of your build cost anyway.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I kind of did what bentac1 did, but traded my 2 door in on my 4 door. I went from a 2012 2 Dr Rubicon, to a 2015 4 door Rubicon. I left the corner skins (due to holes), evo rocker guards, evo slider, front and rear adams shafts, and a 2.5" lift kit. I kind of ran out of time more than anything and didnt have access to some of the stock parts needed to go full back to stock and the obvious body mods that I did. I got a decent trade in deal however, but I also had only 23k on my 2 door. I wanted to make the move into the 4 door anyway, and gearing would have been next on my list so I am glad I waited till I got the 4 door to really upgrade on things like that. I was able to install most of the parts from my 2 door which saved me a decent ammount of change. Just something to think about.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Do you need the 4 door now? Like you have kids and day to day life sucks with 2 doors? If so I would upgrade now. If not maybe wait and see how the new JL's look. Then you can either get a new 2018, or score a sweet deal on an outdated '17 model.

10abadilla/jk

Do you need the 4 door now? Like you have kids and day to day life sucks with 2 doors? If so I would upgrade now. If not maybe wait and see how the new JL's look. Then you can either get a new 2018, or score a sweet deal on an outdated '17 model.
I do have kids. But I don't drive my jeep much. Only on weekends. And long trips. But packing a 2 door is hard. No room for anything. I love 2 doors. But did not realize how hard it would be with kids.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom