Front Driveshaft Failure Noise

Lank

Well it finally happened.. the constant state of pinch from my lift has toasted my tcase rzeppa boot. I stumbled upon this while trying to locate a whirring noise that was occurring at ~20-30mph (present at all times but worse while decelerating). Regardless, I'm pulling the shaft today but does this type of failure explain the new sound I've been hearing? I assume the bearings fried and started grinding?

rzeppa.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Depends on how much grease was lost. Pull the shaft and drive the Jeep. See if noise is there or not then.

Lank

Depends on how much grease was lost. Pull the shaft and drive the Jeep. See if noise is there or not then.

Thats the plan. I just wasnt sure if the sound was consistent with the issue. I'd hate to tear it all down, put in a new shaft, and later find out that it was something additional like the pinion bearing. I guess Ill just check everything while Im down there

WJCO

Meme King
Thats the plan. I just wasnt sure if the sound was consistent with the issue. I'd hate to tear it all down, put in a new shaft, and later find out that it was something additional like the pinion bearing. I guess Ill just check everything while Im down there

It is possible but likely the noise is related to the driveshaft I'm guessing. Pinion bearing can be noisy but not exhibit play when checked by hand, keep that in mind too.

jeeeep

Hooked
When my front stock drive shaft finally gave up the ghost it made a grinding whining noise.
The boot had already be gone for at least a year and a half but since it happened during the worst cold spell in Texas, the grease was frozen and fell out of it.
Of course it had to happen when we had one of the worst cold spells in Texas along with three inches of ice on the ground lol.
I just ran it without the front driveshaft until warm weather came back

Lank

One of the less desirable scenarios. Pulled the shaft and the noise is still there albeit less pronounced. The driveshaft had barely any grease left so I'm glad at least that is out. Looks like I'll be doing a diff inspection over the weekend though

Top Bottom