Transmission chatter

JKidd

Hey guys Im all out of ideas on this chattering noise. I tried everything under the sun to try and rid of it. But before i turn it over to the dealership ima try and turn to you guys for help. Its a very annoying chattering at only 2500. Ive did the heater pipe mod... ive done the hose around transfer case cable... ive used the hose clamps and secured all the exhaust shields... ive tightened the exhaust.. ive checked the trans(5spd). It was almost a qt. Low... so topped that off... checked the transfer case. Tc is okay... so i dont know what else... its pretty annoying because most of my commuite is in 2500 range.. right now its a shift sound for me lol... so any other ideas? Its a 2015 2 dr... all i have is a carbine front bumper and smitty fenders.. thanks guys! Im trying to post a video but ill figure that out later

Draconianwinter

Have you checked the mounting bolts on the fenders? Could be there is vibration movement coming from them. Idk just a thought. The other thing to consider is that the jeep should still be under warranty no older than it is.

sent from your basement

JKidd

Yeah it is under warranty but i know there gonna say cant confirm the concern so idk if thats gonna waste my time. And i did re tighten my fenders because i did have a couple that came loose... now another thing just happened as i was driving after i re-tightened my fenders. Now while i was cruising in 3rd gear the jeep felt... bouncy.. lol its like the the front diff or the lockers were on... so the cabin was bouncing for a good 2 mins on a smooth road... so idk if they be related? A failing driveshaft maybe?

Draconianwinter

Can't say for sure. Have you looked at the drive shafts since you last wheeled? Honestly I am not the best one to answer this. Most all of my experience comes from older vehicles.

sent from your basement

JKidd

Thats the thing i havent wheeled yet lol.. its been on road all its life. So idk.. i drove it again and its starting to to get a lil worst.. well off to the dealer and wish me luck

JKidd

Well dealer didnt help at all.. they said it they cant look at it cause its missing the muffler and back pressure and blah blah blah... so back to square one. Can the muffler missing be my cause? I mean ive had the muffler off for months now and only a month ago did the ratte start... should i do a fluid swap on my trans? Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Well dealer didnt help at all.. they said it they cant look at it cause its missing the muffler and back pressure and blah blah blah... so back to square one. Can the muffler missing be my cause? I mean ive had the muffler off for months now and only a month ago did the ratte start... should i do a fluid swap on my trans? Any recommendations?

I see no way the muffler would have anything to do with it. Maybe find another dealer. Sounds like they didn't even want to look at it. Post a video of the sound if you can.

JKidd

Im doing a lil research and i think its starting to look like a engine ping... most sound clips ive heard sound just like mine. Now my question is does not having a muffler effect engine? I didnt think so being that its far after the cats. Could it be the cold? Im in maryland and its getting a lil chilly out.

WJCO

Meme King
Im doing a lil research and i think its starting to look like a engine ping... most sound clips ive heard sound just like mine. Now my question is does not having a muffler effect engine? I didnt think so being that its far after the cats. Could it be the cold? Im in maryland and its getting a lil chilly out.

Muffler has nothing to do with it if it is pinging. If it really sounds like pinging, I've had good luck with BG 44K. Oreillys sells it now.

JKidd

Well its not the ping.. went with the bg 44k... ran it thru the system.. took a long drive outta state.. an its there.. lately its been coming back with a venegence lol... im hoping now i can get it on video.. being that my exhuast and soft top making it hard to catch on video. But in person its super loud.. is youtube link the easiest way to post a vid?

WJCO

Meme King
Well its not the ping.. went with the bg 44k... ran it thru the system.. took a long drive outta state.. an its there.. lately its been coming back with a venegence lol... im hoping now i can get it on video.. being that my exhuast and soft top making it hard to catch on video. But in person its super loud.. is youtube link the easiest way to post a vid?

Yeah. Try that. We had someone recently that had an oil pan skid loose and it was causing a similar issue.

Heavyhaul07

I believe I had the same noise as you with my 6 speed manual. 3-5 I'd get a rattle / ticking noise while driving in those three grears.

Well a few weeks ago I was in Moab wheeling I was trying escalator on hells revenge and didn't make it had to be winched up. Well long story short I sucked oil while waiting to be winch. Winched out check oil level started jeep ran like crap for a few and smoked. Got off trail and drove home no big deal smoke cleared up in a few minutes and ran fine. Next morning go to work runs good pull into parking lot had a mis and then cel came on. Got my scanner at work. Miss fire #6. I've got 58k on my 12. Got new plugs replaced them all.

No more rattle sound in those gears. Check old plugs I had 10-12k gap on them more than factory plug gap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKidd

Well i dont have a rough idle.. its only at 2500 rpm which is weird.. never had that concern before. Ive checked the plugs.. plugs look fine. Any other suggestions? Does anyone know how to get the the bolts that hold the shifter assembly in? That foam shitt is a pain

GAdawg88

I had an annoying rattle with my 2016 JKU as well. My Jeep only has 96XX miles on it, and the sound drove me crazy for weeks, only happened in 3rd and 4th gear, and especially under load at around 2500-3000 RPM. This issue crept up around 7000 miles, and got worse and worse. I changed the shift know out with the Drake Off-road billet knob, just because I liked the look, and the vibration was gone instantly. I began doing some research and figured out my rattle ended up being as simple as changing the shift knob. FCA uses a press on shift knob that snaps into an indexed groove with a little clip rather than threading. The clip inside my knob was apparently not as tight as it should have been and was vibrating against the top of the shift stick. Don't know if this is whats up with your rig, but if it is, then the fix is cheap and easy, just need a new knob and a strap wrench to get a good grip to remove the knob and make sure your head isn't over the top when that sucker pops off!

GAdawg88

I had an annoying rattle with my 2016 JKU as well. My Jeep only has 96XX miles on it, and the sound drove me crazy for weeks, only happened in 3rd and 4th gear, and especially under load at around 2500-3000 RPM. This issue crept up around 7000 miles, and got worse and worse. I changed the shift know out with the Drake Off-road billet knob, just because I liked the look, and the vibration was gone instantly. I began doing some research and figured out my rattle ended up being as simple as changing the shift knob. FCA uses a press on shift knob that snaps into an indexed groove with a little clip rather than threading. The clip inside my knob was apparently not as tight as it should have been and was vibrating against the top of the shift stick. Don't know if this is whats up with your rig, but if it is, then the fix is cheap and easy, just need a new knob and a strap wrench to get a good grip to remove the knob and make sure your head isn't over the top when that sucker pops off!

Just remember to use a little loc-tite on the set screw for the new knob or you'll end up with another annoying rattling knob.

JKidd

Huh... that sounds pretty simple.. did it go away when you put a lil pressure on the factory shift knob? Ive heard of this but most people have just put there hand on it and it goes away.. but a new shift knob couldnt hurt. Lol

Top Bottom