Tire wobble at low speeds

Mkp08

So my tires will shake and wobble at low speeds like 25-40 mph but when im going 45-75 mph there is no wobble or shaking. By wobble and shaking I mean the steering wheel will shake back and forth and some times will do a death wobble where i have to slow the jeep down to like 10 mph to get it to stop not sure whats causing this? I've had the tires balanced and that helped a bit the ball joints are good and all my tire rod, drag link and track bar are all good. where my drag link hooks to my pitman arm it is a little loose but not bad? Not sure whats causing this any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A speed related wobble is almost always a tire balancing issue. Big off road tires are difficult to balance and just because you say you had them done doesn't mean anything to me. Unless you road force balance them, it could take 2-3 tries before a shop gets it right.

IF you really are having death wobble, your tires being out of balance won't be helping anything but they will not be the cause - only the instigator. You say that your ball joints are good but how did you verify that?

Mkp08

A speed related wobble is almost always a tire balancing issue. Big off road tires are difficult to balance and just because you say you had them done doesn't mean anything to me. Unless you road force balance them, it could take 2-3 tries before a shop gets it right.

IF you really are having death wobble, your tires being out of balance won't be helping anything but they will not be the cause - only the instigator. You say that your ball joints are good but how did you verify that?
I just had a new set put in a week ago so i just assumed they are still good. I also put my jeep on a lift and there was no play in my tires. As for the balancing i run bead lock rims the shop said that he balanced them the best he vould without putting beebees in the tire is that something i should do?

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I also put my jeep on a lift and there was no play in my tires.

Did you use a dial indicator to verify there is no play like you really NEED to? This isn't something you can just eyeball.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

Also, have you verified that your unit bearings are still good? Again, this is all assuming you really do have death wobble.

As for the balancing i run bead lock rims the shop said that he balanced them the best he vould without putting beebees in the tire is that something i should do?

NO, I would NOT recommend beads and the fact that your shop said they did the best they could proves what I was saying. What you're feeling is most likely a tire balancing problem. I might try rotating your tires to see if that helps the shimmy in the wheel.

10abadilla/jk

Did you use a dial indicator to verify there is no play like you really NEED to? This isn't something you can just eyeball.

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

Also, have you verified that your unit bearings are still good? Again, this is all assuming you really do have death wobble.

NO, I would NOT recommend beads and the fact that your shop said they did the best they could proves what I was saying. What you're feeling is most likely a tire balancing problem. I might try rotating your tires to see if that helps the shimmy in the wheel.
Second this as far as rotating the tires. I had to have mine balanced 3 times before it got "better" I rotated the tires around and solved the steering wheel "judder" or "wobble. Like eddie said big off road tires are hard to balance and more with "off brand" tires. Personal experience.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

shortyokc

i went through this on the crappy fuel mt tiresthe dealer installed, had them balanced 7 times, road force balanced, it did it from the day i bought it new but i checked all steering and suspension components anyways. i ended up putting the jeep on jack stands and ran a dial indicator on the rim to ck run-out and had .015 to .020 which is acceptable from wheel manufacture specifications. i then checked the tires and found the tires are severely out of round. tried breaking down, lubricating with tire soap and re-seating several times with no change. like you i had a speed related wobble but was at 50 mph but at a slow crawl you could feel the jeep rocking back and forth on a smooth road

drty6

I am gone for sometimes 2-4 weeks at a time for work when I get back to the shop mine would wobble pretty bad for the 8 miles to my house then not again until I parked at shop and got back from my next work trip. I'm only running 16 lbs all the way around I figured maybe from being parked on concrete for so long was problem so I parked in grass it quit shaking as bad

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mkp08

Thanks for the advice the whole shaking started when i rotated my tires ill try balancing them and rotate them again see if that helps.

I had a shop check my ball joints upper and lower and they are good.

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom