DIY Tire rotation

TrailRidden

I was wondering if anyone here does there own tire rotations? If so, do you all use your spare in the rotation process? I have diagrams for both 4 tire RWD&4x4 rotation and for 5 tire RWD&4x4 rotation. Just wondering what the best thing to do would be.

rinkishjk

I do my own 5 tire rotation. U can use a floor jack and change one tire at a time.
Spare goes to rr, rr to rf, rf to lr, lr to lf, lf is new spare.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
TrailRidden said:
I was wondering if anyone here does there own tire rotations? If so, do you all use your spare in the rotation process? I have diagrams for both 4 tire RWD&4x4 rotation and for 5 tire RWD&4x4 rotation. Just wondering what the best thing to do would be.

Yes I do a 5 tire rotation. I hope this helps

image-3622228788.png

Tackerdown

Banned
I'd like to add to this if I may . What if your spare is new and the others are half worn ? Would it de a bad idea to cycle it in ? I bought it this way and have been wondering just never asked.

C.O.D.

Rock-itman

what would be the limit of your old tires that you would not rotate a brand new spare tire in ?

C.O.D.

Good question , im not an expert w/ tread depths and all but id say to much wear on the other four it might feel diff w/ putting a newer tire into the rotation . There must be limits to this theory ?? :doh:

FallonJeeper

If you do a 5 tire rotation won't one now be on the tire carrier, and three on the ground? I'm not sure my spare has one.

FallonJeeper

They should all have them. Mine do.

Ok, my Chevy doesn't have one on the spare, but then it's not a full size spare. And the chevy looks at each tire pressure and reports them individually. So you know when one is low, which one it is.

I guess I need to look up how the TPMS works on the JK.

JAGS

Hooked
Mel from ORE had an interesting take on this. He doesnt rotate in the spare because he abuses his wheels so bad that it would look odd in the back. He is replacing his beadlock rings and that would be another ring and another tire to replace. Sure you save on tire wear for an extra 25% or so but then you have replace a 5th tire and a new ring or maybe even a whole wheel (ATX slab in Mel's case).

Thought that was an interesting take and one never explained that way. Cosmetic and practical to not rotate in. If it only a DD, not an issue, but something to consider if you're playing on the rocks.

JAGS

Hooked
I think the 2013's now tell you which tire is low and what the pressure is.

Ditto. Was just going to post this too Moochie. Though still annoying, if accurate, is better than just a light. Wish you could upgrade the '12s to this.

MTG

Caught the Bug
4 tires. Spare is new.

Discount Tire does it for me for free.

Only complaint is that I forget to tell them not to add air.

Top Bottom