Wheel Lock recommendations?

gheller

I know wheel locks are easily removed with the right tool and minimal effort, but living in Brooklyn, NY I think having them on at least deters the guy who sees the wheels, and on a whim decides to snatch them since there are no locks.

I bought the McGard wheel locks a little whiles back and after our first snow and freezing rain here (driving in was good fun and good first use of 4wd) I come out the next day to see the wheel locks dripping with rust from inside the key slots.
This is BS

Looking for recommendation on wheel lock (splined locks?) that won't rust away like this and still be a deterrent to the impromptu thief.

i-zTMPRwr-XL.jpg

atrollip

I bought a set of Mopar ones for and spare and wheels. Its got a really small pattern for tool so will be very very difficult to remove with another tool and they havent shown any signs of rust have had them on 4 months now.

Sent from my SM-N920C using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

Damn dude, I have those same locks and mine don't do that. The finish must have been compromised somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You have the black McGard locks too? Shouldn't happen regardless. These are a few weeks old and this was the first snow storm they went through. They have been through some rain here and did not rust.

My guess is the salt that was put down on the roads during the snow is what did it. They salt like crazy here now, last week we had a dusting of snow and there was more salt on the road the snow.

I saw this thread here http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39674-Making-your-Jeep-Secure&highlight=wheel+locks

I might have to try the Gorilla or Rugged Ridge spline style locks.

Andy5160

Hooked
Used Mopar for the past two years no corrosion or rust so far. Been removing them at least six seven times over the past year still no signs of damage.

Good quality for the $$ about $50.

jesse3638

Hooked
Used Mopar for the past two years no corrosion or rust so far. Been removing them at least six seven times over the past year still no signs of damage.

Good quality for the $$ about $50.
I just keep one lock on the spare. I've removed them from all my wheels as they are a PIA plus if you forget or lose the key you have to resort to my post below.
I bought a set of Mopar ones for and spare and wheels. Its got a really small pattern for tool so will be very very difficult to remove with another tool and they havent shown any signs of rust have had them on 4 months now.

They are easily removed with a bfh and a 20-21mm 12 point socket. Ask me how I know..;).

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I bought the Rugged ridge ones. 16715-21_1[1].jpg .. I like the spline style better. plus I was looking for black. I had them on for over a year now and not rusting. Lots of salt on our roads here.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the black spline style from Gorilla. I just put them on this weekend though so I haven't messed with them much yet.

gheller

Thanks for your replies.

Looking on Gorillas website they have some interesting designs. I think the Gorilla "guard Lock" that has splines covered by a free spinning sleeve is very cool. Cant find any retailers selling this stuff, just the usual outer spline system.

I'm going with the RR locks in black, as they have the splines surrounded by a sleeve. Cheap enough at 20.00 shipped. I hate that I had to spend another minute on thinking about wheel locks... hard to believe all five McGard locks were rusting away internally.

Attachments

• gorilla locks.jpg
    gorilla locks.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 96

gheller

If theft is a real concern, using 2 to 3 different types of locks will at least slow them down...

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Theft isn't that much of a concern (of course unless I come out one day I find the Jeep sitting on crates) that I'm going to that extreme, especially having just the stock wheels. However, I am in the camp that thinks having at least one wheel lock on each wheel is better than not. The random opportunist driving around with no tools would look for an easier target.

I was content with the McGards, until the rusting issue....

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Thanks for your replies.

Looking on Gorillas website they have some interesting designs. I think the Gorilla "guard Lock" that has splines covered by a free spinning sleeve is very cool. Cant find any retailers selling this stuff, just the usual outer spline system.

I'm going with the RR locks in black, as they have the splines surrounded by a sleeve. Cheap enough at 20.00 shipped. I hate that I had to spend another minute on thinking about wheel locks... hard to believe all five McGard locks were rusting away internally.

I ordered mine from Quadratec. Though they aren't like the ones your looking at.

atrollip

They are easily removed with a bfh and a 20-21mm 12 point socket. Ask me how I know

Well thats good to know if i loose a lock nut tool. But dont think anyone wil take a bfh in the middle of the night to remove, hopefully! Tyres are so damn expensive in SA and an easy target.

papa11

i got the gorilla with the spinning sleeves for my spare...i figure if some doughnut wants to fight through my license plate mount, which is a major pain...then get those things off, then lift off a 40 inch tire thats heavier than my ex wife...then so be it

Top Bottom