Finally re-gear and seeking last minute advice 37's with 5.13 manual transmission ??

thechrisjones

I have a 2015 JKU HardRock running 37's with the stock D44 4:10 gear. I got 24k miles on the jeep (19k of these miles were with the 37's). Please note my jeep is a DD with a MANUAL transmission. I have a 15 min drive to work with 75 percent being interstate. I've been known to have a heavy foot and typically drive around 75 to 80 mph while on the interstate. I live in TN so we have various changes in elevations; I do find myself having to downshift from 6th to 5th often on a small inclines. I try to make it out on the trail 2 maybe 3 times a year, moderately challenging trails at most. As far as weight goes, I have PSC front with Zeon winch and rear bumper with full 37 spare. I think I am going to go with 5.13 gears instead of 4.88

Looking for personal/professional opinions and feedback.

I would also like advice on any other parts that would smart to replace from natural wear and tear while the jeep is getting worked on. For example, I got new heavy duty axel u-joints to replace the current ones and i'm using new over haul kits with bearings with the gear swap

Thanks Guys!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I have a 2015 JKU HardRock running 37's with the stock D44 4:10 gear. I got 24k miles on the jeep (19k of these miles were with the 37's). Please note my jeep is a DD with a MANUAL transmission. I have a 15 min drive to work with 75 percent being interstate. I've been known to have a heavy foot and typically drive around 75 to 80 mph while on the interstate. I live in TN so we have various changes in elevations; I do find myself having to downshift from 6th to 5th often on a small inclines. I try to make it out on the trail 2 maybe 3 times a year, moderately challenging trails at most. As far as weight goes, I have PSC front with Zeon winch and rear bumper with full 37 spare. I think I am going to go with 5.13 gears instead of 4.88

Looking for personal/professional opinions and feedback.

I would also like advice on any other parts that would smart to replace from natural wear and tear while the jeep is getting worked on. For example, I got new heavy duty axel u-joints to replace the current ones and i'm using new over haul kits with bearings with the gear swap

Thanks Guys!

I have a 15 JKUR, manual, 37's and 5.13s and wouldn't have it any other way. As far as other wear items, I wouldn't really replace anything that isn't worn. There are a ton of upgrades you can make but nothing really needed if it ain't broke already.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I have a 2015 manual and I run 5:13s with 35s,...for now.
It's absolutely a pleasure to drive it out here in the mtns.
Set the cruise coming up the mtn and roll.
Only time I have to downshift is with 4 people in it or a strong headwind.
37s in future should be great.

The Cock Father

I have 37s and 6 speed with 4.88s. I think it's absolutely perfect for my driving. I'd do it exactly that way again. As it is, first is barely usable.

I have 37s and 6 speed with 4.88s. I think it's absolutely perfect for my driving. I'd do it exactly that way again. As it is, first is barely usable.
Third this.

I have the same setup and if I had to do it again I'd do it the same way, or possibly "downgrade" to 4.56's. I certainly wouldn't go to 5.13's. FYI, I do a lot of highway driving and the tach hits 2800 at 75 mph, which is about at the upper end of "just right" in my opinion.

GraniteCrystal

My understanding is that the manual transmission generally uses a lower ratio. Most guys running 37s and auto go with 5.13 so with a manual I'd be thinking 4.88. Going with 4.88 also means a larger pinion which is a good thing; less likely to break. If you can test drive either, that'd be ideal.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Very good to hear mines in the shop now getting 4.88 didn't have the capability to do it myself or I would have loved to figure this out. Got descent deal of 1k for install using yukons I bought. I'm a 2015 on 35s 3.5in lift 6 speed 23k miles with plans for 37s.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desert Crawler

I think it depends where you live. I have 5.13s in a 2014 with a manual. My daily drive involves a 2000 ft elevation change and curvy roads along with 70 mph hwy. I like the 5.13s for my drive, but if I drove flat mostly straight roads I would go with 4.88s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evil

I have 5:13's and a 6 speed. No regrets.

Get ball joints changed and c gussets done while its blown apart.

Top Bottom