2013 heat issues

lulu2533

Just wondering if anybody has had problems with their heater. Mine has been blowing lukewarm at best from driver side vents and a little warmer from passenger. It used to get so hot, not anymore. It goes to the dealer in the morning which terrifies me after reading stories of dashes and center consoles getting torn apart to fix the problem...ugh. This sucks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

Only issue I have is getting so hot that the vents close do to making them too hot and flexible to where I can only run defrost and floor otherwise I have to turn the temp to almost the cold to medium heat to run upper vents

Dopey

Bigjimbo

Mine was the same way every time it dropped under 30*. FCA would warranty the complete repair which included radiator, water pump, heater core due to the casting sand residue... However they wanted me to remove my supercharger. Yeah right...

Long story short, I flushed the heck out of the system to include a reverse flush, and even ran dawn platinum soap and then a healthy flush to rid the soap -- each time bringing it up to operating temp. Heater is back to normal.

AlecJ126

I have a 2013 with a similar issue.. Lukewarm air coming from the furthest left vent, and each vent to the right gets slightly warmer. The far right vent gets pretty hot, about what I would expect from all the vents. I originally lived in Phoenix when I bought the jeep new and never really needed the heat so I can't comment on how long its been like this, but now that I live in WA it's definitely noticeable. I have the auto climate control, so when it's on that setting it never blows through the main vents, only the floor and windshield. So the issue is only noticeable if I change the setting to the main vents, which leads me to believe it could be a blend door issue. However when I first bought the jeep I had that running water sound coming from the heater core area but that resolved itself, and I had a good amount of casting sand in the reservoir after about 30k miles and never took it to the dealer. So I can't really determine what the exact cause is, and it's long out of warranty now so I'm not going to do anything about it until there's no heat at all. Let us know what ends up happening.

Bigjimbo

I have a 2013 with a similar issue.. Lukewarm air coming from the furthest left vent, and each vent to the right gets slightly warmer. The far right vent gets pretty hot, about what I would expect from all the vents. I originally lived in Phoenix when I bought the jeep new and never really needed the heat so I can't comment on how long its been like this, but now that I live in WA it's definitely noticeable. I have the auto climate control, so when it's on that setting it never blows through the main vents, only the floor and windshield. So the issue is only noticeable if I change the setting to the main vents, which leads me to believe it could be a blend door issue. However when I first bought the jeep I had that running water sound coming from the heater core area but that resolved itself, and I had a good amount of casting sand in the reservoir after about 30k miles and never took it to the dealer. So I can't really determine what the exact cause is, and it's long out of warranty now so I'm not going to do anything about it until there's no heat at all. Let us know what ends up happening.
It's the casting sand, the TSB fix for the exact issue we have had is the casting sand. FCA was willing to replace the radiator, heater core and water pump because of it.. and has done so on many JK's.

For me local dealers wanted me to remove my supercharger prior to them replacing the parts. That was more work to remove and reinstall than replacing the parts...

I'd suggest you muscle through the winter and flush the crap out of it in the spring. This way you can let the suds sit for a day or so while running around.

Some claim CLR to work, however the water pump, radiator and heater core are all aluminum... CLR says right on the label to not use on aluminium.

JeepJeep75

It's the casting sand, the TSB fix for the exact issue we have had is the casting sand. FCA was willing to replace the radiator, heater core and water pump because of it.. and has done so on many JK's.

For me local dealers wanted me to remove my supercharger prior to them replacing the parts. That was more work to remove and reinstall than replacing the parts...

I'd suggest you muscle through the winter and flush the crap out of it in the spring. This way you can let the suds sit for a day or so while running around.

Some claim CLR to work, however the water pump, radiator and heater core are all aluminum... CLR says right on the label to not use on aluminium.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1482651560.801206.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1482651594.806707.jpg do you guys think this is casting sand? It's sitting in the bottom of the radiator reservoir... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1482651682.040696.jpg I'm not certain, but the heat is kinda lacking... mine is a 2015 btw...

AlecJ126

Yes, that's the casting sand we're referring to. Mine looked exactly like that a couple years ago. I would advise you to take it to the dealer and ask them to do a complete flush of the cooling system including the heater core. They may even need to replace the heater core if it's bad enough. All I did was clean out the reservoir myself and refill with OAT coolant, never took it into the dealer because I lived in AZ and never used the heat and didn't think any of it would have made it into the heater core.. now having regrets for not doing so because my warranty has long since expired.

Bigjimbo

do you guys think this is casting sand? It's sitting in the bottom of the radiator reservoir...

I'm not certain, but the heat is kinda lacking... mine is a 2015 btw...

Yep - I'd have the dealer do it all. Another fear of mine was having one of their joker's ripping my dash apart and reassembling it only to have dash rattles from then on.

It seems like step number one when you buy a new jeep is to flush the coolant system. I can't believe 15's are still having this issue.

lulu2533

Ok...so this is what my dealer did.
Software flash for pcm.
Power reverse flushed heater core.
Heat before this was 98.5, after 155 at 1500 RPM's
So now I'm finally nice and toasty.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Griswold

Had my 2013 with 75k miles on it for the same heat issue, no sediment in reservoir or around rad cap and coolant looks clean but it is a deep orange color. Dealer says heater core is partially plugged and I have to replacd rad, heater core and engine oil cooler for $2400. Anybody successfully fight Chrysler on this? I had my condensor replaced, and power steering lines in the tube rub recall, so Chrysler is the only one who has worked on it but I dont know if they had to pull out the rad to relplace the condenser, this was almost 2yrs ago.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

Had my 2013 with 75k miles on it for the same heat issue, no sediment in reservoir or around rad cap and coolant looks clean but it is a deep orange color. Dealer says heater core is partially plugged and I have to replacd rad, heater core and engine oil cooler for $2400. Anybody successfully fight Chrysler on this? I had my condensor replaced, and power steering lines in the tube rub recall, so Chrysler is the only one who has worked on it but I dont know if they had to pull out the rad to relplace the condenser, this was almost 2yrs ago.

For $2400 I'd try a flush first.

FWIW, My heater choked when the temperature dropped under 30*F.

Clark Griswold

So Chrysler contacted the dealer and they are claiming that coolants got mixed and caused the issue, I have only been to Jeep or Valvoline for oil changes and noticed Valvoline has added about a quart of Dextron over the last year or so, now I need to find out if that is the wrong stuff, otherwise Jeep is the only one who has had their hands in the coolant system.

Top Bottom