35's without a lift?

NBarton

Hi all - I'm edging ever closer to making real progress on starting my (very mild) build. Thanks to the various builds detailed here and perusing lots of discussions, I've narrowed in on my choices. I planned to gather wheels/tires, lift kit, shocks, drag link flip kit and drive shaft then have a week end of busted knuckles to end up ready to roll. However, the need for new tires is outpacing my strategy of accumulating parts at a pace that that disperses the economic impact of my first stage. I'm sure this question has been asked but I couldn't find it in my search.

What are the hazards of driving my 2015 JKU-X on road only for a month or two with 35's and pro-cal adjusted bits and bytes? I'm expecting the sluggish performance until a re-gear sometime in the near future and will have wheels with 3.5" or less back spacing or wheel spacers. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all - I'm edging ever closer to making real progress on starting my (very mild) build. Thanks to the various builds detailed here and perusing lots of discussions, I've narrowed in on my choices. I planned to gather wheels/tires, lift kit, shocks, drag link flip kit and drive shaft then have a week end of busted knuckles to end up ready to roll. However, the need for new tires is outpacing my strategy of accumulating parts at a pace that that disperses the economic impact of my first stage. I'm sure this question has been asked but I couldn't find it in my search.

What are the hazards of driving my 2015 JKU-X on road only for a month or two with 35's and pro-cal adjusted bits and bytes? I'm expecting the sluggish performance until a re-gear sometime in the near future and will have wheels with 3.5" or less back spacing or wheel spacers. Thanks

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11064-35-s-and-no-lift

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

What gears are you running now? As you've probably already seen in the link WJCO provided, there are several ways to run 35s with little to no lift. Fortunately for us, as JKU really does swallow a 35" tire.

T.McD

like anything, it can be done but not desirable. i did it without a lift for a couple of months like you and did not get offroad at all, also i'm only running GY duratracs as they run smaller then some other 35's. if you have the right back spacing rims they will fit the jeep, but with only about 2" to spare. The bad is that they will rub the bottom of your flare with a good bump, but for most everyday driving you will be fine, also if you carry lots of weight you will notice it more.
it all comes down to you and what your willing to accept.
20160924_163930.jpg

NBarton

It has the 3.21s that it was born with. Another of many aspects of my Jeep that make wish I had been a more informed buyer. 20-20 hindsight and all that.

Edited: typo correction

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
It has the 3.21s that it was born with. Another of many aspects of my Jeep that make wish I had been a more informed buyer. 20-20 hindsight and all that.

Edited: typo correction

Well, as I am sure you have heard, 3.21 gears with 35s is not going to be fun. It's doable on flat land or highway, but leave leave a lot to be desired off road or if you live in a hilly or mountainous area.

You can get a leveling kit or bb real cheap.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This! I would personally, at a minimum, run a leveling kit and trim the flares or run flat flares if going to 35s. I understand you are planning on a lift, but a leveling kit is cheap and super easy to install. This will help your tires from eating your fender flares, which can happen even just daily driving on the road. Good luck and keep us posted with what you end up doing!

NBarton

Appreciate the input. I think I'd prefer to get a few more miles out of the current tires and wait until I have the full next wave of parts assembled. If that's not possible, I'll go with the wheels/tires and fender mods. Sounds like the next priority will be gearing, then the lift, shocks and front D/S.

Eezybreezy08

Ill say this. I hated 33 with 3:21. So if you are going to go 35 you will definitely wanna regear. Like others have said it's doable but aggravating when you are constantly having to shift. You can easily put a Evo leveling kit on for 35 and it's definitely affordable.

Top Bottom