Drag link bent and I want more lift- time for the flip then? 3" vs 4"?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So I dropped my rig off at the local shop to get 4.88's and C-gussets welded in. I mentioned that my jeep isn't doing well on the highway and I noticed it's now pulling to the left. He took a quick look under and showed me that my drag link is bent. It's not from a rock hit, he thinks from over stress. I did have my steering locked out on me in the rocks doing a black trail last month. I had to put it in neutral, rev the engine to get enough boost to get the wheels to turn while I was wrestling with the wheel. I bet that did it. On top of this, my RK 2.5" springs are too low, I'm barely off the bump stop extensions with all the weight I'm carrying. Even with 1" spacers in the rear, it's still sits ass low too.

So- multi part question. If I go with 3" or 4" plush rides, that should get my height correct. Am I correct that a drag link flip will then be recommended? Should I go 3 or 4 inches? I'm running 35's but will go 37's on the next set of tires.

SO..... 3 or 4 inches of lift. I'm sitting at 2.75" right now, I'd like another inch. (I already have adjustable track bars, adjustable lower control arms up front)
Drag flip or just get heavy duty replacement drag link?

Edit: Or I could just replace the drag link with a heavy duty currie unit like this: http://www.currieenterprises.com/jk-9704dl-jeep-jk-currectlync-heavy-duty-drag-link

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're planning on running 37's, I would go with 4" coils and get a drag link flip. Save your money on an expensive drag link upgrade and just install a ram assist as you had mentioned in your other thread. That will prevent it from bending again.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's the way I was leaning towards. I already have the longer fox 2.0 front shocks in the shed since I had to go down to the shorter ones for my 2.5" lift.

Should I get the EVO drag link flip, or the Currie one? Then who's track bar bracket should I use? I didn't see EVO offering one at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's the way I was leaning towards. I already have the longer fox 2.0 front shocks in the shed since I had to go down to the shorter ones for my 2.5" lift.

Should I get the EVO drag link flip, or the Currie one? Then who's track bar bracket should I use? I didn't see EVO offering one at all.

The EVO drag link flip comes with a track bar relocation bracket. It's basically the same thing as the one made by AEV. I run run it now on Rubicat and it works well but whatever you get, I would have it burned on. That will help prevent future problems.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The EVO drag link flip comes with a track bar relocation bracket. It's basically the same thing as the one made by AEV. I run run it now on Rubicat and it works well but whatever you get, I would have it burned on. That will help prevent future problems.

Awesome. So EVO drag flip kit (which replaces my bent link), EVO springs. That should cover it. If I get the kit in time, I can have it burned in while the shop is doing my C's and 4.88's.

I'm still on the fence about 3 vs 4 inch. I'll be on the 35's for a couple more years (they only have 10,000 miles on them). Plus I have the teraflex 1" rear spacers, which I bet would be a bitch to remove after they "pop" into place in the upper location.

Edit- I chickened out and and went with 3" plush rides. I don't want it to look like it's on stilts.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. So EVO drag flip kit (which replaces my bent link), EVO springs. That should cover it. If I get the kit in time, I can have it burned in while the shop is doing my C's and 4.88's.

I'm still on the fence about 3 vs 4 inch. I'll be on the 35's for a couple more years (they only have 10,000 miles on them). Plus I have the teraflex 1" rear spacers, which I bet would be a bitch to remove after they "pop" into place in the upper location.

LOL!! Yeah, the spacers in the rear can be a bit tough to remove but nothing that a big pry bar can't get off. Trust me, I've done it plenty of times.

Regarding coils, unlike other coils that give way more than what is advertised, if you go with EVO plush rides, they will yield 3" or 4" exactly. If you're going to be on 35's for a couple of years, sticking with 3" coils would be the better way to go and really, you can always sell them when you're ready to go taller.

Top Bottom