Steering assist: Redneck ram vs PSC

zimm

Caught the Bug
Since my bent my drag link from playing in the rocks and I had not enough steering power, I'm looking at a ram assist to help out. Especially since I'll be going to 37's in the future.

Should I get a redneck ram and have them port my steering box, or go with a full PSC system? Obviously there's a large cost difference. It's almost a daily driver and I only play in the dirt every 2-3 months so it's not like I need something for a competition rock buggy. What do ya'll recommend?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would say go with PSC, if you shop around and call some of our vendors, the system is a lot less than any other sites. I just have no read enough good reviews on the redneck setup to justify the cost even tho it is a lot cheaper. The quote I got the PSC was only a little more in the end than the redneck. I do have an older ported PSC box however that I got from my local shop which I plan to someday use, but still think I would be better off getting a new box from PSC and keeping this as a spare or something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am by no means a fan of PSC and I've had my fair share of problems with the ones I have BUT, I have seen more problems with the Redneck Ram and of the two, I would recommend spending the extra cash and get a PSC. If nothing else, I have found them to have good customer service and they've always been quick to help me out.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I am by no means a fan of PSC and I've had my fair share of problems with the ones I have BUT, I have seen more problems with the Redneck Ram and of the two, I would recommend spending the extra cash and get a PSC. If nothing else, I have found them to have good customer service and they've always been quick to help me out.

Does anyone else make a bolt on kit?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have noticed AGR before, dont know anything about it tho.

I'll never run AGR again. I had their box and pump for my CJ. The pump wouldn't even hold fluid, couldn't use it. The box leaked constantly from the seals.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll never run AGR again. I had their box and pump for my CJ. The pump wouldn't even hold fluid, couldn't use it. The box leaked constantly from the seals.

LOL!! And, this is why I say to get the PSC kit. It may have some problems but for the most part, I have found it to be one of the better kits available. But, that's just me.

zimm

Caught the Bug
PSC it is. Now if you could kindly answer my other post about replacing my bent drag link, I'll start ordering some parts! ;)

My PSC box was leaking fluid...found out it was a bad seal. They sent me a brand new box, no questions asked, and problem fixed. Yea it's pricey, but the customer service is pretty damn solid should anything be off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I haven't run the PSC system but I have had the redneck ram on my old jeep for 3+ years with zero problems.
Planning on putting it on my new jeep soon.

metalic

Never ran anything other than diy route using psc ram. I did mine after a couple buddies had been running it on there rig without issue. I just setup another buddy 2 weeks ago with the same setup. If your handy with tools it's not hard to diy and can be done for around 300 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL!! And, this is why I say to get the PSC kit. It may have some problems but for the most part, I have found it to be one of the better kits available. But, that's just me.

Sorry to thread jack, but Eddie for someone like myself with a very very small amount of knowledge about PSC or any ram assist, what issues have you had an what should we stay away from or look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't run the PSC system but I have had the redneck ram on my old jeep for 3+ years with zero problems.
Planning on putting it on my new jeep soon.

:cheesy: What a surprise! I don't know if I've ever seen you run anything that you'd never had a problem with. Guess it sucks to be someone like me who's seen all kind of problems with all kinds of products and even with some that I'd still recommend. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to thread jack, but Eddie for someone like myself with a very very small amount of knowledge about PSC or any ram assist, what issues have you had an what should we stay away from or look out for?

To be honest, I think a lot of the issue have been worked out now but early on, they had issues with the pumps they were including with their kits. Specifically, they were using the wrong side pulley. On my 2012, they had a new pump bracket that would allow for too much flex and that caused me to shred a serpentine belt. Also, on 2012-up, for the longest time, they had no provision to effectively mount a reservoir and it took a lot of creativity on my behalf to figure something out. I believe they have this figured out now too. That being said and now that I have things dialed in, everything seems to be working well. I guess a part of being an early adapter, you also end up being a guinea pig.

Rottenbelly

:cheesy: What a surprise! I don't know if I've ever seen you run anything that you'd never had a problem with. Guess it sucks to be someone like me who's seen all kind of problems with all kinds of products and even with some that I'd still recommend. :crazyeyes:
I have had problems with plenty of products, I just don't say much about them.
I just say what works for me. And has worked well for me long term.
I guess I like being the fanboy for the under rated stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have had problems with plenty of products, I just don't say much about them.
I just say what works for me. And has worked well for me long term.
I guess I like being the fanboy for the under rated stuff.

Ah, got it. Not like anyone could ever benefit from hearing about products that you've had problems with. :naw:

Top Bottom