Don't know $***?? Need Help

NorTex

I have read thru so many forums and topics and come up with more and more questions - I am not a car guy but want to be better with this Jeep since I plan on keeping it for a long time
bought a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock unlimited last November, and I just stress about what to do to it
I drive it everyday, some highway but not too much - drive it around the ranch, but not going rock crawling or anything like that

I have been thinking of a 3" lift and 35" tires - I like the wheels that come on the Hard Rock, but I dont think I can keep them with 35" tires

does a lift over-ride anything on the jeep? such as the Hard Rock has push button to release the Axel and Sway bars - would the lift effect that?
going with bigger tires, do i need to upgrade anything on the back so the spare doesnt rattle or will that not matter?

I have 2 options where i live to do the work, but neither have a great reputation - is there things i should ask or lsiten for that they might be screwing me over with?

and my last question is what can I do to add some power to the engine? Super Charger, Air intake, exhaust - what works best?

thanks, dont make fun of me too much

Looks like this is your first post. Stop by the new member section and throw out a WAVE introducing yourself.

First off, don't stress about your jeep. Atleast until you encounter Death Wobble or something, and can't figure out how to shake it. :cheesy: Building your jeep should be a fun process!

Changing your ride height with lift kits will not effect your electronic swaybar disconnects. You need to first determine how you're going to use your jeep and what kind of offroading you'll be doing, and how aggressive of trails you'll be riding. That will determine what kits, lift height, tires, and manufacturers to go with.

Slow down with the intake and supercharger talk. You certainly don't need to be considering that right now at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been thinking of a 3" lift and 35" tires - I like the wheels that come on the Hard Rock, but I dont think I can keep them with 35" tires

You can run 35" tires with a 2.5" coil spacer lift if you're on a budget but 3" will get the job done well and you can keep your wheels if you run 1.5" wheel spacers.

does a lift over-ride anything on the jeep? such as the Hard Rock has push button to release the Axel and Sway bars - would the lift effect that?
going with bigger tires, do i need to upgrade anything on the back so the spare doesnt rattle or will that not matter?

Nope, everything will be fine but you will NEED to calibrate your speedometer with something like an AEV procal or Superchips flashcal. I personally would recommend that you regear to a higher ratio like 4.88 and you will want to extend the rubber isolators on the tailgate so that they press firmly on the side wall of the spare to help prevent jiggling. Installing something like a bumper tire carrier or AEV tire carrier would be a better way to go as it would take the weight off the back of your Jeep and put it on the frame.

I have 2 options where i live to do the work, but neither have a great reputation - is there things i should ask or lsiten for that they might be screwing me over with?

Any reason why you couldn't just install the lift? The cost of tools would be less than a shop would charge and you would learn a lot about your Jeep. I've got installation write-ups that will help you out too.

and my last question is what can I do to add some power to the engine? Super Charger, Air intake, exhaust - what works best?

thanks, dont make fun of me too much

The BEST thing you can do is install new gears with a higher gear ratio. All the other stuff you mentioned is a waste of money.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
For someone brand new to Jeeps I recommend a 2.5" budget boost.

It will allow you to fit 35s and keep your factory ride. It will also prevent you from having to replace your front drive shaft. WAYALIFE has a great write up on installing one. I'll link it in a second. Just make sure you get one with bump stops and brake line extension. No a lift doesn't over ride anything as far as the swaybar disconnect or lockers go.

You can reuse your factory wheels if you add 1.5" wheel spacers. Spidertrax is what I recommend.

You can also keep your factory spare tire carrier with 35s. Just make sure to properly isolate it to prevent the spare from wiggling.

Welcome to WAL!

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. Here's what I would do. Cut the fenders, no lift, keep your factory rims with 35s and see how you like it. You may have to extend the bump stops. You will need to properly isolate the tire on the rear. If you aren't happy with stock height, you could do a budget boost. Then you can see if you like it. As far as power, don't do any of that stuff, re-gear if it's that bad.

EDIT:Forgot you will need wheel spacers, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

NorTex

Awesome and fast repsonses - I really appreciate it

Mike - for the intake and supercharger - just thinking that cuz i have been in a Yukon for about 10 years prior - Jeeps are a tad different, so just been wondering that

Way - I am about the least handy person too, so I dont know that me installing this would be a good idea, but i will look at your write-ups - thanks for the Gear info too

thanks TY and WJCO

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Eddies write ups are awesome and I have used several. Do it yourself. If you do not have metric tools look at write up and get what you need at harbor freight including a torque wrench.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Awesome and fast repsonses - I really appreciate it

Mike - for the intake and supercharger - just thinking that cuz i have been in a Yukon for about 10 years prior - Jeeps are a tad different, so just been wondering that

Way - I am about the least handy person too, so I dont know that me installing this would be a good idea, but i will look at your write-ups - thanks for the Gear info too

thanks TY and WJCO
If you don't have the tools and haven't worked on your car before, I'd recommend wading into the waters. Pick a smaller project to do first. It's going into winter, so it's not prime wheeling season anyways. Do some smaller projects over the winter and if you feel confident doing the lift in the spring, do it then. And give yourself a few days for the Jeep to be out of commission.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Coop

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL! Your jeep is an incredible off road machine as it sits. You should get some experience off road with some WALifers in your area. Take these experiences and then make decisions on what you want and perceive a need for. DON'T go buy all kinds of stuff before you experience what your jeep can do and what kind of off roading you want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

We all started someplace including me. You'll never become handy until you start doing. I'm sure the guys on here and myself would be more than happy to point you in the right direction should you decide to take on the challenge.

rberg1022

I have the same Jeep and went through a similar journey. I love my Jeep and glad I did the upgrades.

Teraflex 2.5" lift kit with the Fox shock separate reservoir. I love the new shocks Teraflex came out with. I think bought the adjustable track bar to center the Jeep. I found that I needed longer brake lines in the front and upgraded those but there is a bracket re locator for the rear brake line. I just added a Yeti steering attenuator, it is so amazing. It is like a shock for ur steering wheel. I also have the adjustable fox shock steering stabilizer. I did the lower sport control arms by teraflex as well which improved the bumps in the Jeep. I upgraded the fender flares with the flat bushwhacker's for my 35" KM2's. my only regret was that my rims have 5 1/2" back space which is super wide.

In regards to the engine, check out the pedal commander. It is amazing, no increase in speed but no pedal lag. I also added a volant cold air intake and a flow master cat back.

I also took the seat out and lined the whole floor with dynomatt and dyno liner which helps with heat and noise.

This is my daily driver. If you have any other questions on other things I did just ask. I have been wheeling in the Jeep and I leave the rovers behind.

IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0894.jpg IMG_2417.jpg IMG_2895.jpg IMG_0924.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Do you have 3.73 or 4.10 gears?
When off-roading on the ranch, have you actually scraped anything under the jeep?
How much tread is on your tires right now?

The reason for taller tires is to get more ground clearance under the axles, better approach and departure angles, and the ability to climb over bigger obstacles. The lift give you clearance to run larger tires.

As mentioned your Rubicon is incredibly capable as it sits. Unlock that sway bar, run it in 4lo and play around off-roading. If you get in a sticky spot, lock the rear axle. If it's really bad, lock the front too. You can't steer much with the front locked though.

If you're getting parts hungry, I would start with the spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. They will make the jeep look better, handle better, and allow you to go with 35" tires on your stock wheels. Then when you're ready for 35's, get a budget boost or EVO leveling kit, the spare tire extended snubbers as mentioned, and the AEV pro cal to reprogram the speedometer.

That should pretty much take care of it.

As for other stuff to start off with- I would get a basic tool set- Craftsman during christmas is the time to buy some wrenches and socket sets! A 3/8" metric socket set, metric combination wrenches and you'll be on your way. Get some jumper cables, big 4" tow strap, some d-rings, and that'll be your recovery gear if you get stuck. Fire extinguisher is good to have- a 2.5 pounder will fit on the floor next to the driver's seat.

NorTex

thanks Coop - great advice
Way - I am working on it, starting slow
Berg - good work with yours, I like it all
Zimm - dont know for sure, but i think the Hard Rock comes with 4.10 - no scrapes - have about 8000 miles on the tires - I dont "need" to really do anything to it, as you know it is just a "want"

LarryG

You can run 35" tires with a 2.5" coil spacer lift if you're on a budget but 3" will get the job done well and you can keep your wheels if you run 1.5" wheel spacers.

Nope, everything will be fine but you will NEED to calibrate your speedometer with something like an AEV procal or Superchips flashcal. I personally would recommend that you regear to a higher ratio like 4.88 and you will want to extend the rubber isolators on the tailgate so that they press firmly on the side wall of the spare to help prevent jiggling. Installing something like a bumper tire carrier or AEV tire carrier would be a better way to go as it would take the weight off the back of your Jeep and put it on the frame.

Any reason why you couldn't just install the lift? The cost of tools would be less than a shop would charge and you would learn a lot about your Jeep. I've got installation write-ups that will help you out too.

The BEST thing you can do is install new gears with a higher gear ratio. All the other stuff you mentioned is a waste of money.

An AFE intake sure makes your 3.6 sound SWEET!

NorTex

Before
before.jpg

After
after.jpg

I got tired of trying to figure it all out and just went for it - I talked to a guy at the local shop and he was super helpful in explaining to me how certain things would effect my ride
went with a 2.5" Teraflex lift and 35" tires, but I kept the factory Rubicon wheels, and I think it looks awesome
also added some panel lights at the hood/winshield for hunting and driving around the ranch

I think it turned out great - on smooth roads it seems to ride better and also faster
you do feel the bumps tho

thanks again for the info and responses

Top Bottom