Just Scanning the Web and Daydreaming!

WxNerd2015

Had what I thought was an interesting idea, and just want to get some feedback, or ideas, to if my thought is even possible and how much work it may be! So I was just scanning through different trucks online, as one day I will get a truck to go alongside my Jeep, and I noticed a bunch of the RAM Trucks have the gear selector for up a gear and down a gear on the right switch gang on the steering wheel above the cruise control.

$_4.JPG

What do y'all think, would this be possible to get this wiring to work somehow with a gear selector for an '11 Automatic Wrangler? How much work could be involved here?

Like I said, just a bit of wonderin and Daydreaming here, might be a crazy or stupid idea, but for me with the Auto in an '11...this could be really useful maybe? Idk?

Ddays

Hooked
LOL, you must be really bored!
Don't see why it couldn't be done. I've not had my console torn all the way down yet but I'd imagine the shift selector has switches that could be wired up to steering wheel switches instead, but that looks like a lot of work. :idontknow:

Benito

Caught the Bug
Had what I thought was an interesting idea, and just want to get some feedback, or ideas, to if my thought is even possible and how much work it may be! So I was just scanning through different trucks online, as one day I will get a truck to go alongside my Jeep, and I noticed a bunch of the RAM Trucks have the gear selector for up a gear and down a gear on the right switch gang on the steering wheel above the cruise control.

What do y'all think, would this be possible to get this wiring to work somehow with a gear selector for an '11 Automatic Wrangler? How much work could be involved here?

Like I said, just a bit of wonderin and Daydreaming here, might be a crazy or stupid idea, but for me with the Auto in an '11...this could be really useful maybe? Idk?

i think it would be a lot of work for an 07-11(P, R, N, D, 2, 1) , but it may be easier for a 12+ automatics since it has a "manual mode" in the shifter (P, R, N, D, M)

WxNerd2015

LOL, you must be really bored!
Don't see why it couldn't be done. I've not had my console torn all the way down yet but I'd imagine the shift selector has switches that could be wired up to steering wheel switches instead, but that looks like a lot of work. :idontknow:

A good bit bored, yes! And I also had a business trip which my rental was a '16 Ram 1500 with the 5.7: Hemi and 8 Speed Auto Trans. Had a pretty long drive with that, and got me thinking, and then did some more scanning on the web and found nothing on it. I got a curious mind sometimes, can't help but wander and dream of projects that are probably way more work than they are worth! Haha!

WxNerd2015

No. You will not be able to hack the CANBUS system to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

i think it would be a lot of work for an 07-11(P, R, N, D, 2, 1) , but it may be easier for a 12+ automatics since it has a "manual mode" in the shifter (P, R, N, D, M)

your computer is not set up for that neither is the tcm

This is what a good bit of my research seems to have come to as well. The '12+ had the "Select-Shift" option in the console anyways, but it would be a lot of hacking and a lot of trial and error on the pre-'12's I guess. I found a write-up on another forum where the guy had installed a Grand Cherokee SRT wheel into his pre '11 JK, and made the paddle-shifters work, which I guess would be about the same idea, but it is a heck of a lot of work, with programming, and wire-splicing, and testing. I will continue some research and see what i can come back with.

Top Bottom