1/4 pounder install quick question

desertrunner

Started the installation of my 1/4 lb last night, just had 2 quick questions. My stinger didn't come with instructions but it seems like common sense here I installed the front of the stinger where it said to install the D rings and am I correct in assuming I have to drill the top 6 holes into the top of the bumper and install the provided 6 bolts? Just wanted to confirm before drilling also wanted to see it ppl usually paint the holes again after drilling since mine is powder coated I'm sure drilling will take some of that off.

20161221_051051.jpg

Also is the Rubicon sway bar disco motor flip required or just something that's nice to do to get it more out of the way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rb1boxer_3

Yup gotta drill the holes I haven't yet but one day I will. Also yea you have to flip it if not it'll hit from what I've read. I don't have a rubi so can't say. There is a write on it though. Just search it.

Out in the Boonies

tdougherty81

Started the installation of my 1/4 lb last night, just had 2 quick questions. My stinger didn't come with instructions but it seems like common sense here I installed the front of the stinger where it said to install the D rings and am I correct in assuming I have to drill the top 6 holes into the top of the bumper and install the provided 6 bolts? Just wanted to confirm before drilling also wanted to see it ppl usually paint the holes again after drilling since mine is powder coated I'm sure drilling will take some of that off.

View attachment 235373

Also is the Rubicon sway bar disco motor flip required or just something that's nice to do to get it more out of the way?

Yes mount the d-ring first then drill your holes. I would put a little rustoleum in the new holes, I used a q-tip to apply it. I did not flip the Rubi sway bar motor.

tgoss

Def put some paint on those holes to prevent corrosion.

Only thing I will add, for the front most bolt on the topside corner take a die grinder or dremel and notch out the corner of the frame horn or the bolt for the stinger will get caught up on there.

desertrunner

Def put some paint on those holes to prevent corrosion.

Only thing I will add, for the front most bolt on the topside corner take a die grinder or dremel and notch out the corner of the frame horn or the bolt for the stinger will get caught up on there.

Drilled the 6 top holes yesterday and the inside bolts on initial test fit look like they are gonna clear the frame, just barely but i think i can get away without havng to knotch the frame, thanks though i wouldnt have even thought of that.

moto82mike

I didn't go with the stinger on mine but I did drill 2 holes for LED fog lights. I was a little apprehensive about drilling into that thick steel... It was super easy and smooth with a dewalt metal bit. Took no time or pressure at all... I put some brush on touchup paint inside the hole to prevent corrosion.

Sent from my SM-T710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I would like to ask a question on here if you don't mind?

It says in the directions but I just want to make sure I understand. Do I mount the 2 spacers between the frame horn and the inside of the bumper?

Also does anyone have pictures of the part you need to notch out of the frame horn for the install of the stinger?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I would like to ask a question on here if you don't mind?

It says in the directions but I just want to make sure I understand. Do I mount the 2 spacers between the frame horn and the inside of the bumper?

Also does anyone have pictures of the part you need to notch out of the frame horn for the install of the stinger?

Yup I put them between the bumper and the frame mounts.
And I haven't painted the holes yet or installed the bolts but after drilling the holes it doesn't look like I'm going to have to knotch the frame

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Yup I put them between the bumper and the frame mounts.
And I haven't painted the holes yet or installed the bolts but after drilling the holes it doesn't look like I'm going to have to knotch the frame

Nice! So I'm assuming if the bolt hits then it needs to be notch?

Also do all the front cross members need to be cut off?

Thunder

I didn't think I was going to have to notch my frame horn either.
I spent way too long trying to get that nut on than I should I have.
I just didn't want to take everything back off again.
But ultimately, that's what I had to do.

mastrcruse

I'm looking at changing up the front end a bit and going with a stinger setup. If I'm reading this correctly, the bumper comes without the holes to mount the stinger. Is this correct? Has anyone welded the stinger on?

tgoss

Nice! So I'm assuming if the bolt hits then it needs to be notch?

Also do all the front cross members need to be cut off?

Yes all that shit needs to go and you'll need to relocate the vacuum pump if you have a 12+MY.

I'm looking at changing up the front end a bit and going with a stinger setup. If I'm reading this correctly, the bumper comes without the holes to mount the stinger. Is this correct? Has anyone welded the stinger on?

Yep, comes without the holes. I think Evo 1 back when had it all welded together but then again there's a whole lot more going on up front than the average JK.

f8c27314e583d3eb5bfe9fe8b0b59013.jpg

desertrunner

There were 4 spacers that come with the kit. Do I use all 4?
View attachment 235980

And does anyone know the hex side for the bolts??

Haven't totally finished the instal on mine but I'm putting in a power plant so yeah I'm using all 4, 2 on each side.

And the size of the Hex bit I believe is 3/16 all I remember was I only had a metric set and it wasn't metric so I went and bought the classic $10 standard set at Home Depot and it was the largest one in that set

desertrunner

OK so update on the install I got it all the way on minus 2 bolts. I miss interpreted which bolts would need the frame horn knotch to install. Of course it was after test fitting twice to drill the holes then off again to paint and by the time I re installed it and figured out which bolts wouldn't fit I said F it they can stay off haha. I have 2 thoughts maybe buy longer bolts so I can actually thread the nut on those front bolts? Or I guess if I wanna do it right pull it off for the 3rd time knotch the frame horn for clearance? Or just say screw it and leave those holes empty I can't imagine it being that much weaker without them. But if I'm gonna pull it back off I need to do it before installing my winch so..... not sure what I wanna do yet

20170108_192038.jpg

desertrunner

I didn't think I was going to have to notch my frame horn either.
I spent way too long trying to get that nut on than I should I have.
I just didn't want to take everything back off again.
But ultimately, that's what I had to do.
I feel ya trying to get my hand in that tiny space for like 20 mins and still not getting it to work then looking inside there I had that well SHIT THAT'S what he was talking about moment. I said F it I'm not pulling it off for a 3rd time it can just have an empty hole haha. I'm torn I don't like leaving that hole but I want to get my winch in there and if I gonna knotch it I might as well suck it up and do it now before I put the winch in

TANK

What I found was easiest, was to bolt the stinger up to the quarter pounder and then lift it onto the notched frame horns.

I hung the spacers onto the front of the frame horn by putting the two inner bolts in backwards so they could hang while I moved the bumper/stinger into place. Hope that makes sense.

desertrunner

What I found was easiest, was to bolt the stinger up to the quarter pounder and then lift it onto the notched frame horns.

I hung the spacers onto the front of the frame horn by putting the two inner bolts in backwards so they could hang while I moved the bumper/stinger into place. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah I was using my little Shop roller chair that conveniently is the perfect height to slide everything right in. It's just the fact that I have to do it again when I have had it off twice now. Oh well live and learn right.

Top Bottom