Issue with the door

rockredjk02

I was going to take the doors off the jk the other day because of the nice weather we are having in SC. Unfortunately i just got the passenger door off and started on the driver side and the top bolt is stripped inside and it is only spinning around. it doesn't tighten or loosen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?

Attachments

• ZZZZZZ.jpg
    ZZZZZZ.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 95

Conman

Maybe throw a rag and a set of channellocks on the top bolt or see if you can have somebody lift the door a little to put pressure on the top bolt allowing you to spin the bottom without the top moving. Just a few i can think of:thinking:

rockredjk02

Maybe throw a rag and a set of channellocks on the top bolt or see if you can have somebody lift the door a little to put pressure on the top bolt allowing you to spin the bottom without the top moving. Just a few i can think of:thinking:

Yeah i tried the locks with the rag and no luck. All it really did was scratch the paint off. Thanks for the suggestion though!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I was going to take the doors off the jk the other day because of the nice weather we are having in SC. Unfortunately i just got the passenger door off and started on the driver side and the top bolt is stripped inside and it is only spinning around. it doesn't tighten or loosen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?

So when you unscrew the torx nut at the bottom of the bolt it spins? The photo looks like the top hinge pin tat you're trying to remove.

rockredjk02

So when you unscrew the torx nut at the bottom of the bolt it spins? The photo looks like the top hinge pin tat you're trying to remove.

that pic is where i grabbed the top pin(covered it with a rag so i wouldn't scratch the paint, happened anyway) with channel locks and tried unscrewing the nut. The result was the the hinge pin kept moving and i couldn't budge the bottom nut.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
that pic is where i grabbed the top pin(covered it with a rag so i wouldn't scratch the paint, happened anyway) with channel locks and tried unscrewing the nut. The result was the the hinge pin kept moving and i couldn't budge the bottom nut.

Got it. Have you tried some penetrating oil and then the same process with the hinge pin. That thing sounds like it on there really tight if it broke the hinge pin loose.

rockredjk02

Got it. Have you tried some penetrating oil and then the same process with the hinge pin. That thing sounds like it on there really tight if it broke the hinge pin loose.

Yeah its pretty dang tight on there. Honestly didn't know i tightened it up that much this past summer. But ill try the oil! Thanks for the suggestion man!

rockredjk02

How old is the Jeep? If it is new under warranty, I would make the dealership fix. Just my 2 cents.

Its a 2008. Its fully covered through carmax where i bought it about 50 miles from my house lol. Just trying to find a quick solution that saves me gas and time.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Have your tried Vice grips on the bolt head? Or is it stripped inside the hinge? If its stripped inside the hinge it should be able to be be punched out.

Top Bottom