2012 jk rear axle shaft different lengths?

So I just replaced my rear axle bearings and seals. I don't have a rubicon so no locker. Lost track of which axle shaft was passenger and driver. Everything is put back together and before I drive it I was wondering if the rear axle shafts are different lengths? Called Chrysler and pulled my vin and they said both axle shaft sides were same part number, but I'm just trying to figure out why people say the otherwise. There is even a write up on project jk showing the axle shafts pulled and then being different lengths. When I was comparing my shafts side by side they looked the same. Also when I changed the bearings and rotated the shafts without the rotor on I felt a sort of clicking, did not hear it but just felt it. Anyone who has done this felt the same thing and/or know if 2012 axle shafts for non rubicon is same length?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I see, any ideas on the clicking feel without the rotors on? When you have the wheel on you can't feel it but it is really noticeable when the rotor is off and you spin it.

Spider gears in the diff give it some clicking feel if rotating by hand with the wheels off.
I have felt what you describe when I was working on overhauling my axles.

Hmm.. Interesting, i thought I did something wrong when I felt that clicking with the rotors off, but it drives great and there is no squeaking whereas before the was a lot of noise in the rear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom