Tips for removing grill cover with EVO Quarter Pounder and winch

moto82mike

Does anyone have any slick tricks or modifications that i can do that will allow me to remove the grill without having to unbolt and remove the winch every time? Maybe trimming clips off the grill at the bottom? There is barely any clearance between the winch and the grill. In fact, they gently touch. Going to be installing new headlights and would rather not remove the winch...

20161210_155350.jpg
20161210_155357.jpg

Installed winch then realized i had to take it back off to put grill back on [emoji35]
20161210_142433.jpg

Sent from my SM-T710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Does anyone have any slick tricks or modifications that i can do that will allow me to remove the grill without having to unbolt and remove the winch every time? Maybe trimming clips off the grill at the bottom? There is barely any clearance between the winch and the grill. In fact, they gently touch. Going to be installing new headlights and would rather not remove the winch...

View attachment 235699
View attachment 235700

Installed winch then realized i had to take it back off to put grill back on [emoji35]
View attachment 235701

You could spacer out your bumper if you think you'll take your grill off often, mine actually pulls right off

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hahahahah. Nope! To my knowledge, you've got to pull it all off. Can I make a recommendation while you have it off? Install the adjusters too. IMG_1482546436.327221.jpg

They go here IMG_1482546523.201214.jpg

So you can adjust them and not have to take the front off again. IMG_1482546611.763347.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
Yes, cut the tabs off the bottom the the grill that would be behind the winch, I think there is also a clip back there. Basically have it so the grill mounts on top like normal and has the clips to anchor it around the signal lights and your winch will pinch it against the bottom bar.

moto82mike

Yes, cut the tabs off the bottom the the grill that would be behind the winch, I think there is also a clip back there. Basically have it so the grill mounts on top like normal and has the clips to anchor it around the signal lights and your winch will pinch it against the bottom bar.
That's what i was thinking... thanks for confirming before i cut!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you need to cut off all the snap clips as that could cause it to rattle but there is one peg in the center that isn't a clip and pretty long. You can get rid of that one and should help out a lot. The other clips are somewhat flexible and you can kind of work them in and out of the slots they go into.

WJCO

Meme King
Our zeon was the same with our Lod bumper. Luckily the previous owner had already broken the bottom clips off. So I just flexed the grill as I installed the winch, never had to remove it.

WJCO

Meme King
Grill flexes well. Just don't do it if it's too cold out. Here's some pics of ours and me pushing on it.

IMG_20161224_084740_740.jpg

IMG_20161224_084856_493.jpg

tgoss

I cut the big center post off to try and put my grill back on after installing my 1/4 pounder and winch only to find out I had to take it all back off. My winch actually sits flush against the grille, no way I could get the grille off without removing the bumper.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I cut the big center post off to try and put my grill back on after installing my 1/4 pounder and winch only to find out I had to take it all back off. My winch actually sits flush against the grille, no way I could get the grille off without removing the bumper.

I run a PowerPlant and have the same problem. Although, I find that I don't need to remove the bumper, just the bolts securing the winch to it so that I can jimmy it up enough to pull the grill. Still a job that I hate doing though.

JeepJeep75

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1482599229.768102.jpg I run the 12k PowerPlant on an LOD bumper. After trimming the bottom center post off of the grill I can get the grill off and back on without having to disturb the winch or bumper at all. As stated above, the grill is very flexible.

Lil Nasty

I run the 12k PowerPlant on an LOD bumper. After trimming the bottom center post off of the grill I can get the grill off and back on without having to disturb the winch or bumper at all. As stated above, the grill is very flexible.

I run the LOD and the Powerplant. I did what Eddy did last time by just unbolting the winch which was easier. I did notice that the grill was flexible and thought I could get it off without moving the winch. I may have to try and see as I need to install the headlight adjuster bolts. If it will not work, I'll just cut the center post like everyone else.

moto82mike

Hahahahah. Nope! To my knowledge, you've got to pull it all off. Can I make a recommendation while you have it off? Install the adjusters too. View attachment 235705

They go here View attachment 235706

So you can adjust them and not have to take the front off again. View attachment 235708

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
To clarify, are those adjusters for the headlamp angle (up and down)? If so, I know the stock headlights have a torx bit adjustment for height - does that get removed when installing sweet new LED headlights?

moto82mike

Which winch if you dont mind? I know some have a little different shape.

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome! Thanks for the visual... To clarify, you only cut the center post? Or some clips too?

The clips were already broken when we bought it. To get that winch in there, I really had to push. But it worked. However I just realized I read this thread wrong. I read it as how you can fit a winch without removing the grill. But it seems you're wanting to remove the grill without removing the winch. I haven't done that. I just looked and all of the clips are broken.

Top Bottom