Powder coating wheels

kgxi08

Thinking of getting my new wheels powder coated to match what I have in my head for a look. I know some of you may have experience with this. I was hoping to get details of the different stages the wheels go through. [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Thinking of getting my new wheels powder coated to match what I have in my head for a look. I know some of you may have experience with this. I was hoping to get details of the different stages the wheels go through. [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was going to have mine done but at $125 per wheel I said no thanks. I have never seen anyone that has had them done other than the guys running slabs & such with the factory coating....

PATRIOTKJM

Wheels get media blasted first, then hung on rack and go in oven for 20min to preheat, then we electrostatic apply powder, wheels go back in oven till they reach 380 for ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bluegrassjku

Wheels get media blasted first, then hung on rack and go in oven for 20min to preheat, then we electrostatic apply powder, wheels go back in oven till they reach 380 for ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My local powdercoater does this exact process except he applies a primer first, then bakes the wheels. After that he repeats the process with the colored topcoat. I don't know if he preheats the wheels before the final coat with a primer coat applied.

I've never had anything done like this so I don't know if it would be any more reliable, but they say it drastically helps the longevity of the finish.

holliewood61

I was going to have mine done but at $125 per wheel I said no thanks. I have never seen anyone that has had them done other than the guys running slabs & such with the factory coating....
Wow thats steep. I have a local place that will do a set of 5 for $125. He does good work too. Ive had several sets done on jeeps ive sold. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig, but freshly powder coated wheels are a selling point.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom