prepping drag flip bracket for welding before install?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm going to install the EVO drag link flip kit next week. I'm wondering if I should wire brush the mounting surfaces on the bracket and axle down to bare metal before the install so I can weld some bead on there. Or do you bolt it on, then hit it with a wire brush to weld? My grinder and welder are over at my parent's house, so that's why I'm trying to plan ahead.

Rb1boxer_3

Wire brush or wire wheel it first to get it cleaned up before it be easier I'd say for when your ready to weld then just paint around as good as you can.

Out in the Boonies

Heavyhaul07

Me I'd unbox test fit. Mark areas that you want to weld. Remove bracket clean areas on axle and bracket to be welded. Once clean install with bolts drive to where your welder is and burn it on. Then paint as best as possible

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

The next thing to find out is if my rock crawler track bar will adjust short enough to work. Otherwise I got a few hours of driving to the "local" fab shop to get a stock take-off track bar. Wish I never threw mine out...

WJCO

Meme King
That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

The next thing to find out is if my rock crawler track bar will adjust short enough to work. Otherwise I got a few hours of driving to the "local" fab shop to get a stock take-off track bar. Wish I never threw mine out...

Most aftermarket track bars will shorten to the stock length. Another option (if you have to) is to cut it and sleeve it. I had to shorten mine 5 inches for the axle swap. Years ago I worked at a custom suspension shop and did at least 20 of these. It works fine and it's cheap.

DSC04474.jpg

DSC04476.jpg

Top Bottom